Fans going crazy after updating to 10.3.8

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by Wilson, Feb 13, 2005.

1. Wilson macrumors regular

Did anyone experience any problems after installing 10.3.8? My dual 2.0 G5, Rev A. seems to be making really loud noises. It's ridiculously loud, and if I put my hand near the tower, i can feel the wind the fans are producing. What can I do to fix this problem? When I was running 10.3.7, this didn't happen.

Any suggestions?

Thanks.

2. Brize macrumors 6502a

Brize

Yep, this fault has been widely reported. It'll hopefully be fixed in the next update (if there is one before Tiger), but in the meantime, setting your Processor Performance to 'Highest' should solve the problem.

3. LimitedEdition macrumors member

I can confirm that I had the same problem on the same system and setting the performance to "highest" fixed it.

4. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

im having no problems here (12" PB rev D). although the first thing i did was update from 10.3.7 :) so i cant judge

5. FireArse macrumors 6502a

10.3.8 is fine with me

I have a dual 2GHz (two weeks old) and installed 10.3.8 with no probs at all. i have noticed start-up times to be a little slower though.

Bring on Tiger!

6. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

I had the same problem with my Rev A dual-2.0, and the "Highest" setting seems to have fixed it.

7. Littleodie914 macrumors 68000

Littleodie914

Hmm... Seems the problem is only apparent on the Powermacs. I've installed 10.3.8 on both my iBook and our iMac, and both are running flawlessly. Nice to know there's an easy fix for the fan problem until Apple can get an official update out.

8. wordmunger macrumors 603

wordmunger

Heh. I read the thread title a little differently. I thought you were saying that Macintosh Fanatics were screaming and fainting in appreciation of the massive performance improvement when upgrading to System 10.3.8. Lighten up people... it's only a system patch ;)

9. maha macrumors newbie

Hi,
    sorry if this is a dumb question - where do you set the processor performance?

I just got my dual 2.5 - automatically just upgraded to 10.3.8 when I set it up and I've noticed a kind of erratic fan operation - not sure if that's what everyone is referring to? It seems to kick on pretty loud and then just cycles off.

Similar in noise volume to my mirror door dual 1.25....

10. Daveway macrumors 68040

Daveway

This problem is all over the Apple discussions right now. I'm afraid there will be no other update before Tiger.
    Surprisingly this update seems to have made my G5 iMac quieter. My iMac is faulty and Apple has no fix for the bad fan. :mad:

11. za9ra22 macrumors 6502

No only G5 power macs

There's fairly widespread reporting of fans misbehaving on new Minis, though I've not noticed it on mine. However, my Rev.A G5 2.0 now sounds like a Jumbo that can't make up its mind whether to take off or not.

12. daveL macrumors 68020

daveL

You set it in Preferences->Energy Saver->Options->Processor Performance.

13. johnnyjibbs macrumors 68030

johnnyjibbs

How do you know there will not be any 10.3.9? If there is a problem, Apple will fix it.