fans in the G5

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by Choppaface, Nov 30, 2003.

1. Choppaface macrumors 65816

hey

the fans in the G5 are sooooo quiet!!! anybdoy know what brand/make they are?

thanks!

2. MoparShaha macrumors 68000

MoparShaha

I don't think it has to do with the type of fan. The G5 is quiet because the fans are computer controlled. Most of the time, they spin slowly, thus quietly. They only speed up when the machine is working hard and needs to be cooled.

3. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

rainman::|:|

yes i don't know what brand they are, but i know they're specially designed to run at ultra-low speeds most of the time... quite a complex cooling system for a consumer-oriented machine. i think they learned their lesson with the windtunnel...

pnw

4. Macmaniac macrumors 68040

Macmaniac

I wish I knew what brand they were, my house would be a lot cooler and quieter if I had some of them in my house:)

5. superbovine macrumors 68030

superbovine

Well the computer control has a lot to with the noise level, but the a quaility fan makes a very large difference as well. Also the size, speed, and Air Flow will factor in the noise level of the fan.

www.directron.com you can buy case fans, and see their db levels they make.

6. acj macrumors 6502

I thought they were specially designed in conjuntion with Apple. They look rather unconventional. I also don't think it is very quiet. Of course I don't own a G5, but I have a class in a room with 20 of them. My intel 2.4Ghz machine has no CPU fan, and just one slow spinning 120mm fan and one slow spinning 80mm fan in the case. It seems quieter, but the comparison is bad: One machine in a quiet room verses 20 machines in a loud room. It's certainly night and day quieter than my QS.

7. Ipyro24 macrumors member

i know this is about G5 fans but what kind of fan is in a G4 i wanted to replace my g4 fans with dif ones for quieter ness (don't think thats a word) i was wondering if any one knew ne thing bout that

8. acj macrumors 6502

G4 fans

Just buy the right size. The brand doesn't have to be the same. You may have to solder connectors. silent PC review is a good resource for quite computer components.

9. stoid macrumors 601

stoid

Seeing a G5 in person I have to say they are bigger than I first thought, but also insanely quiet, I could hardly hear it. Yes, a lab of machine does make a difference, in labs on my campus with Gateway boxes the sound quickly becomes irritating and very distracting.

10. blue&whiteman macrumors 65816

blue&whiteman

I myself am calmed by the sound of computer fans. like how some people like a clock that ticks loud.

11. tomf87 macrumors 65816

tomf87

Yeah, the larger the fan, the quieter it runs at high speeds, in general.

Take 1U appliances.. They have very small fans that run at high speeds which create a ton of noise. If you have a larger fan at the same speed, it will generate less noise.

12. FuzzyBallz macrumors 6502a

FuzzyBallz

The G5s are just using what PC users have been using for a while, thermal regulated fans + fan controller. The thermal fans have tempt probes near the edge of the casing to collect temperature and adjust the rpm accordingly. The fan controller simply regulates voltage to the fans so they spin slower than originally intended.

Panaflo fans made by Panasonic are some of the most quiet fans on the market, but they don't make thermal fans. Contrary to the specs Vantec puts on its Stealth series fans, the Panaflo's actual dba is lower.

13. Choppaface thread starter macrumors 65816

not from what I could see at the store

thanks for the help everybody

14. blue&whiteman macrumors 65816

blue&whiteman

am I the only one that likes the sound of fans? :)

15. Mav451 macrumors 68000

Mav451

fans noise is fine...just as long as it doesn't change (i think one my panaflo's is dying...starting to make a strange whee WHIRRR sound)...just subtle enough to annoy me.

16. 5300cs macrumors 68000

5300cs

I do :) But it depends on how the fan sounds. I have a MDD 1Ghz PowerMac and I quite like the sound it makes. It's kind of like being in an airplane.

I don't like the fan on my my iBooks; I can't describe the sound, but it's irritating.

And I like the sound of my Xserve, but the wife doesn't.... can't please everyone ;)