Fantastic Four film

Discussion in 'Community' started by Sol, Jul 9, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sol macrumors 68000

Sol

I saw Fantastic Four last night and thought it was good. The plot was misguided but everything I liked about the film was on the surface. The special FX were great, humor with good timing (loved the Ben Grim wake-up scene), and a great choice of personalities in the casting. Dr. Doom was suitably creepy but I felt that he was defeated too easily. I guess his powers were not fully developed in the first film so the sequel should be interesting.

The best scene for me has to be the confrontation between Human Torch and The Thing outside the bike arena.

2. AliensAreFuzzy macrumors 68000

AliensAreFuzzy

I personally didn't think that the movie was as good as it could have been. I thought they spent way too much time setting up the powers and what not, then when the real confrontation happened, it took about 10 minutes. When Dr. Doom started to actually fight, everything happened way too quickly and easily. It felt almost like they were trying to do a TV show and get the entire thing in taking as little time as possible. I also thought that Dr. Doom was handled way too easily. When I watched that part, I expected him to keep fighting after he had been solidified somehow.

I dont' say this about any movie very often but... This was not a good movie.

Edit- I would like to add, however, that the special effects were "fantastic".

3. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

I'm looking forward to seeing it, since I always liked the comics. That's why I was glad when the Daredevil, Spiderman, X-Men, and even Superman and Batman movies first came out. They were all my "friends" from comic books.

4. mcarnes macrumors 68000

mcarnes

Me too!

I just made ~ $3000 selling 5 of my older books on ebay. Painful but I needed the cash.

5. ham_man macrumors 68020

ham_man

From what I have been hearing, this movie is well worth its salt - acting, special effects, the whole shebang. I think that this will be the next movie that I go see in the theatres...

6. Sol thread starter macrumors 68000

Sol

FF, not WOTW

Personally, the most surprising thing about the Fantastic Four was that I chose to see it instead of War Of The Worlds. Looking back I guess I wanted to see someone save the world instead of someone destroy it.

7. Bubbasteve macrumors 65816

Bubbasteve

8. Lacero macrumors 604

Lacero

Roger Ebert gave it 1 star. I've seen tidbits of the old 1994 version of the movie before it was canned. The reason being the special effects were not up to par. In this movie, it seems the screenplay was not up to par.

9. watcher2001 macrumors 6502a

watcher2001

I personally loved it.. I have been a fan since I was a kid. To make a long story short I went into the movie with VERY high expectations. It did not meet all of them, but I was not dissapointed. In my book that is a dang fine testament.

10. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

Despite the mediocre reviews, I'll still check it out in the near future. So far though, the movie of the summer for me has been Batman Begins, and I think this movie will have to be pretty "fantastic" to top that one. :cool:

11. YS2003 macrumors 68020

YS2003

Even though movie pundits are not always right, you can feel how good that movie is by reading a few reviews (to give yourself an idea what you can expect). This movie got a very bad review and I will be passing this until its DVD version comes up (it seems DVD will be rolling out soon if you look at the recent example of not-so-good movie release & the day when its DVD version is released). Besides, I would rather watch a movie in my crisp clean 23" ACD with external speakers via PB in the confort of my place (no annoying cellphone calls in the theater).

12. JediL1 macrumors member

JediL1

From the Director of "Barbershop" and "Taxi"

I thought the cast was weak. Nobody was particularly memorable except for Jessica Alba. Who the hell is Ion Gruffodd? Jessica Alba, Chris Evans of "Not Another Teen Movie" fame, and Michael Chiklis and Julian McMahon (Both of whom coincidentally star in shows on parent company Fox's FX cable channel.

Being cut down to barely over an hour and half and rushing action scenes to save money (which FOX Studio chief Tom Rothman is infamous for doing to comic book movies. See "Elektra").

It was ok, but not Fantastic (certainly nowhere near INCREDIBLE). I just thought it deserved much much more since Fantastic Four literally BUILT Marvel comics into what it is today.

I'm sure non-fantasy people will say "oh, that was a good action movie with some comedy in it". FF fans will wonder what Marvel's first and longest running superheros could've become if given the treatment of a "Superman" , "Spiderman", "Batman Begins" or "X-Men".

13. dan-o-mac macrumors 6502a

dan-o-mac

The first movie wasn't made to be released. I was produced to reserve the rights for a future release.

14. devilot Moderator emeritus

devilot

I found your comment to be strangely moving. How true.

15. msbsound macrumors regular

FF, not s much

I must agree with you on Batman, and the luke-warm reviews of FF have scared me off of a movie that I thought was gonna be bad anyways. When Jessica Alba is pinned to be a lead actress, a movie is gonna need a lot of help.

16. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

grapes911

It was a really good movie. Not as good as Batman, but good. Even my girlfriend like it, and she normally doesn't like super-hero movies (except for Spider-man). Well worth seeing in the theater. Chris Evans and Michael Chiklis (I used to love "The Commish") were great together.

17. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

I initially thought it wouldn't be anything special, then when I saw the trailer for the first time, I gained a little more confidence - it actually looked like it had potential and could be quite good. And although I haven't seen it yet, reading all these unflattering reviews isn't making me want to rush out and see it anytime soon. Nonetheless, I shall reserve judgment until I see it for myself.

18. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

Are you mocking Horatio Hornblower... tsk-tsk-tsk...

:p

As to the the Fantastic Four, I'm really looking forward to seeing it. Not because I'm expecting too much, but because it was my second favorite comic series when I was growing up, after Spider-Man, of course... ;)

19. Lacero macrumors 604

Lacero

Chris was great in Cellular. Check out that movie if you haveb't seen it.

20. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

There are four superheroes, so it must be four times as good as Spiderman. On the other hand, Spiderman was even better than X-Men, so I guess there goes that theory.

21. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

Apparently you weren't the only one... War of the Worlds was dumped from the top spot after only one week. The figures are here

$56,000,000 for Fantastic Four
    $31,300,000 for War of the Worlds

Woof, Woof - Dawg [​IMG]

22. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

So true. First, it got some bad reviews. MSNBC said that Susan Storm was older and not portrayed best with Jessica Alba. Being hot doesn't give you a right to play roles in which you do not belong. However, to me there was a lot of character development that was done all wrong. Too much touchy feely crap and not enough real comic book development. When you are in a comic you aren't afforded the same liberties that were taken with this movie. You don't get 10 minutes of The Thing feeling sorry for himself, you don't get an already weak character Mr. Fantastic played by someone who really isn't all that fantastic. You wouldn't see the whole tension between the team and how they couldn't keep Torch in line and his in ability to not be mean to The Thing. It was all silly to me. The movie was rather silly to me. However having been very familiar with War of the Worlds and seeing that, FF was way better than WOTW. WOTW sort of ended halfway through the movie. It was weird. Back to FF. I thought that Michael Chiklis did make for a good "Thing" but the writing for his character just sucked. I did like seeing Julian McMahon play a role. I've watched him a lot in Nip/Tuck and saw him in Charmed in all of 5 episodes ever seen...I thought that with better writing he deserves to be Dr Doom. Doom is basically the all time comic book villain. I simply disliked his defeat. However, now that they've gotten this BS development out of the way the sequel is something that will rock. I'd like to see more superhero stuff and less touchy feely crap.
    I give it 2/5 stars here. I'll see it again on DVD just before I go watch the Sequel, but Batman Begins (seen twice now) took the cake.

23. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

Well, for what it's worth, the book is always better than the movie...
    even if its a comic book! :rolleyes:

When I read War of the Worlds as a youngster, I thought it was so awesome.
    When I re-read it as an adult I was just as impressed.

Of course reading Fantastic Four was a part of my childhood.

Woof, Woof - Dawg [​IMG]

24. kjr39 macrumors 6502

The preview looked good, but when I heard that it was written by the same guy that wrote Hulk and Punisher I figured it would be subpar. Then they threw in the director of Barbershop and I then decided to say my nine bucks (and more importantly my hour and a half.)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.