FAQ: MacRumors, MacBytes and Page 2 and More...

Discussion in 'Site News' started by MacRumors, Jul 25, 2003.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

MacRumors is split into a number of sections, which may be confusing to the new reader. This provides a breakdown of the various sections of this site and also describes MacBytes.

The three main news areas which are updated daily are MacRumors.com, Page 2 and MacBytes.com.

MacRumors.com
    URL: http://www.macrumors.com
    RSS: http://www.macrumors.com/macrumors.xml

MacRumors.com, aka as 'the front page', provides links and stories to items of interest related to Apple and the Mac platform. Beyond rumors, this also includes news items, industry happenings, and other information felt to be of significance. Purely speculative stories and opinion pieces are generally avoided. While reliable rumors (ThinkSecret's iPod Rendering) will certainly be posted in this area, even rumors of questionable reliability may also be posted here if they are of significant interest to readers (Future of PPC?).

Page 2
    URL: http://page2.macrumors.com
    RSS: http://www.macrumors.com/page.xml

Page 2 provides links and news items of uncertain authenticity (Bluetooth Mouse on July 25th?, Changes to PowerBooks and iMacs?) or uncertain significance (Resellers Remove 12" and 17" Powerbook ads, 7457 Almost Here?).

Page 2 is updated frequently.

MacBytes.com
    URL: http://www.macbytes.com/
    RSS: none available

MacBytes.com is a companion site for MacRumors -- which provides links and discussion for other items of interest in the Mac world. This may include opinion pieces, polls, news, benchmarks, software releases and more. News items, links and observations -- such as BuyMusic now blocking Apple browsers or 5% of Windows Machines crash -- will be posted there for discussion. While they may be very interesting and discussion-worthy news items, they may not warrant their own story on MacRumors.com

Buyer's Guide
    URL: http://buyersguide.macrumors.com/

MacRumors' Buyer's Guide provides a summary view of Apple's product releases and most recent relevant rumors. While purchase recommendations are provided, readers are encouraged to read through the information provided to come to their own conclusions. Recommendations are based on product-cycle timelines and recent rumors.

Link Shop
    URL: http://shop.macrumors.com

MacRumors' Link Shop provides a starting point for readers to make Mac related purchases, and hilights items and deals of interest. Note: This area promotes merchant sponsored links.

MacRumors Forums
    URL: http://forums.macrumors.com/

MacRumors Forums provide the discussion area for all news articles posted on MacRumors and MacBytes. Beyond this, there are specific forums for general Mac topics -- includling Hardware, Software, Help and Questions, as well as Community Areas. If you have specific questions about a certain topic or need help troubleshooting your Mac, this is your best bet.

IRC (Live Chat)
    URL: Instructions

MacRumors' Internet Relay Chat room provides live discussion about rumors, news items, and just general chit-chat. The room is open at all times, and becomes quite active around Apple events. Live-updates to announcements and speeches are often provided in this chat room.

Mac Polls

URL: http://www.macpolls.com
    RSS: http://www.macpolls.com/macpolls.xml

Daily polls and discussion of mac related topics.

2. MrMacMan macrumors 604

MrMacMan

Great Break Down.

But don't you also own MacPolls?

A must read for all begginers.

3. SilentPanda Moderator emeritus

SilentPanda

Story rating...

And still nobody knows what the positive/negative story rating means... not even Arn... :D

4. moosecat macrumors regular

My God. The empire is so large I'm expecting a name change to MacRusoft soon.

5. Pancake macrumors regular

Pancake

I officially offer my services as a Storm Trooper to the ever expanding MacRumors empire. My battle armor size is XXL Tall.

6. Veldek macrumors 68000

Veldek

7. alset macrumors 65816

alset

8. bennetsaysargh macrumors 68020

bennetsaysargh

9. RHutch macrumors 6502

Re: I nominate JLH for Empiral Princess

A picture of JLH seems off-topic to me, but it's one off-topic post I'm willing to spend quite a bit of time on.:D

10. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

Hi, newcomers. In addition to reading this forum, be sure to read the MacRumors Frequently Asked Questions.

If you still have questions about using the site, you can search the forums (because there's a good chance that your question has already been answered) or you can post your question and wait for someone to answer.

To search the forums, click here to go to the Search page, fill in some keywords, and click the Perform Search button.

To post a question, click here to go to the Mac Help/Questions and Tips forum. Then click the New Thread button, fill in the Subject and Message, and click the Submit New Thread button.

11. MrMacMan macrumors 604

MrMacMan

And yet people vote negetive on an article that gives a brief FAQ...

How the hell does that work, does anyone who voted neg want to tell us what they would have written in the article?

:rolleyes:

12. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

I've clicked negative (or positive) a couple of times when I meant to click something else. Stupid M$ mouse wheel. Most of the time I never vote on an article because it seems irrelavant. But this is a good clarification, thanks.

Even those of us who think we know all about these sites can learn something new.

13. Kwyjibo macrumors 68040

Kwyjibo

14. centauratlas macrumors 6502a

centauratlas

Ratings changes

The "Rating" should be changed to say:

Rating (1 Accurate; 99 Inaccurate)

[do you think the rumor is accurate or inaccurate]

and perhaps a second one:

Wish (100 Positives; 2 Negatives)
    [I want it to be true or not.]

I think those ratings above would apply to the PowerBook G5 being out Aug 2003. ;-)

15. centauratlas macrumors 6502a

centauratlas

I think the negatives voted negative because they weren't clear what the ratings meant ;-)

16. benjaminpg macrumors regular

Thanks for the breakdown, arn. This should reduce the number of "What goes on Pg 2" threads. I wonder if you should make it a permanent link somewhere along the sidebar.

Also, it would be great if you could set up an RSS feed for macbytes.com. I find it's got lots of good stuff, but I never remember to check it regularly.

Thanks

17. Phil Of Mac macrumors 68020

Phil Of Mac

Yet it rises every day! The sky must get awful crowded...

Why isn't MacBytes another tab on the MacRumors.com page, next to Page 2? I don't have room for another site on my Safari bookmarks bar :(

18. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

I agree that MacBytes should be a link on the front page. It would be a lot easier for some of us with tons of favorites.

And please remove Buy.com from the link shop. After all this, they don't deserve to be there any more. (IMO) After my experiances, they should have never been there in the first place.

Even if they payed you.

19. jzieske macrumors regular

Macbytes.com was added to the top of the page today I think. Or lse I just noticed it today. Good work arn.

20. Phil Of Mac macrumors 68020

Phil Of Mac

I don't think they can exactly do that, there are these things called "contracts" that say you can't remove paid advertising just for the hell of it if the CEO's a loony fellow who wants to be Steve Jobs. Although that would be a good clause to include in the next version of the contract, eh? :)

P.S.: It's spelled, "paid".

21. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

Just noticed the MacByte's link, didn't see it earlier.

BTW, actually, it's spelled pay. I meant pay. Don't know why I said "paid". Talking on the phone at the time, I think.

Oh, like you never spelled something wrong. :p

Irregardless (yes, I know that's not a word, I'm just messing with you, get over it), if you look at the link shop, it doesn't look like a paid link. If it is, I would stop taking payments (like they'd keep supporting this site if they read what we were saying about them). The way they're headed, you don't want to wind up with a bounced check. :sarcasm:

I think I need to add :sarcasm: to all of my posts when I'm being sarcastic, and :rolleyes: is inappropriate.

(I'm sure I spelled that wrong too, and I still don't care)