Far Cry... could it come to Mac?

Discussion in 'Games' started by FasterSoonerNow, Jul 8, 2004.

1. FasterSoonerNow macrumors member

Anyone have any clue?

It seems to be a pretty intensive game to run even on high end PC machines.

Anyone think it'll appear on the Mac at some point?

2. applekid macrumors 68020

At some point, it may be possible. But from a marketing standpoint, I think it's a bad idea.

The only Macs that could probably run FarCry to a playable amount is the G5 line. It's RAM, processor, and graphics intensive. More than Halo and UT2K4. So, I doubt any porting houses would want to take the risk now, but maybe later. My estimate for a timeframe would be when a G5 iMac was to be released, but that's just me. And that's if FarCry is ported at all. I've seen the reviews, and it's pretty popular on the PC (though I think most gamers aren't able to play it on their machine). So, I think it can happen if a porting house tried and got the deal, but not right now because of the current Macs.

And I think it may be a long port. There's probably some new DirectX code the developers will have to deal with which will take sometime. And this engine is completely new. They should get started now, if ever! :)

3. Schmittroth macrumors regular

Schmittroth

I don't see it happening. There aren't enough Macs with that kind of clock speed or graphics cards to warrant this port. Even some high end PC have problems with this game. Plus it's popular but not a run away hit. My friend really likes it. He's got a monster rig though.

4. Ninja_Turtle macrumors 6502

party

eh...probably...but wont be like in 3 years or so... :( thats the mac game community for you....

5. Veldek macrumors 68000

Veldek

There’s also an OpenGL renderer for FarCry. It doesn’t run as good as the DirectX version, but it should make porting a lot easier.

6. Sol macrumors 68000

Sol

yes, Yes, YES!

Yes, Far Cry should be ported to OS X because software like that sell the high end machines like the liquid cooled PowerMac G5s. What's that you say? Nobody will pay that much to play games? Hogwash! Those PowerMac users who sit on the fence when it is time to upgrade see a game like Far Cry as one good reason to upgrade now. Even if the game will not run well on most current Macs, it could sell a lot of copies in the next two years when people buy the next generation consumer Macs. So don't tell me that Far Cry for the OS X makes no sense from a "marketing standpoint" because games like that are a great way to market really really powerful Macs.

7. Veldek macrumors 68000

Veldek

Well, Apple will like such a game that is selling Macs for them, but at the moment the game is coming out, there aren’t enough powerful Macs to achieve a lot of income, so the porting companies won’t be interested in it. That‘s why Apple should have a porting department that puts out the newest PC games to increase Power Mac sales. In fact, that’s what they do with their OS, isn’t it?

8. applekid macrumors 68020

Definitely not every Mac user is a gamer. And definitely not every G5 owner is a gamer.

With that said, at most, a company could sell from 20,000 to 100,000 games. The low-end if the game sucks. The high-end if the game rocks and everybody wants it. Usually a game is in the 40,000 to 60,000 range.

But, with the amount of G5s that exist, and a far fewer number of gamers that have Macs that are capable of playing FarCry, they shouldn't jump the gun just yet. I'd wait a couple of months. Preferably when those iMacs ship. If it was to come out now, it wouldn't be profitable for the publisher and porter.

Valdek, Apple should definitely not create a porting division, IMHO. Games aren't Apple's business, and it really wouldn't change the rate we get games anyway. Apple needs to keep promoting game development on the Mac. That's all they can do on their side. Porting houses should hire a few more good people. Games are still a niche market within our niche market! :)

Ninja_Turtle, I had enough of your doom-saying. Of course there's no guarantee of FarCry being ported. We understand that. But it is possible for any game to be ported. A good game candidate requires good reviews and high popularity on the PC side. This equals profitability on the Mac side. The only troubles you can run in to are either the original publisher or developer doesn't find it profitable to port or they don't want to share the source code. That latter had happened with BF1942, but they finally worked something out. Delays comes from bugs and changes in priorities of games.

Even if it were to be ported, it wouldn't take 3 years. At most, it'll take a year. If you don't know the process, then you don't know how long it takes at all. 3 years is not being realistic at all. Even a game that was in development then thrown onto the back-burner still take only a year to port completely from prototype stages to duplication. A game like FarCry should and would get higher priority over any other game, so a port can easily take under a year. Look at BF1942. Despite having nearly six other games in development at Aspyr, BF1942 got higher priority, was announced March 25, 2004, and was released in late-June to early-July. That was a game where the engine was completely new to Aspyr, but they were able to port it quickly.

9. Veldek macrumors 68000

Veldek

I agree, they won’t. But think about it for a moment. Only if they would make a big loss, it’s not a good idea. But they could bring out games to make the Mac more popular for switchers. And it’s the hardware they make money off, so they could sell it with these games, just like they do with their other software. You say, they’re no gaming company and that’s right. They’re a hardware company but are making software, too, just for one purpose: to sell their hardware. Why not using games for this target, too?

Oh, and it's Veldek, with an "e" ;)

10. benpatient macrumors 68000

Vladek, you're forgetting that apple doesn't have anything to do with the ports. Companies like Aspire and MacSoft do the ports. THEY don't sell any hardware, so they don't make any hardware money. Honestly, i don't see how they stay in business...sometimes porting a game to OS X from WinOS takes them longer than it took the original developers to make the game!

Having played a great number of games on a pretty good PC, and having then played most of those games on a Mac afterwards, I can tell you that FarCry will look terrible on anything less than a G5 with a 9800 Pro unless they do some SERIOUS amazing code porting...if it isn't up to the level of Blizzard's apple code, then it isn't going to be worth playing on anything less.

Simply put, it ain't gonna happen any time in the next 2 years. If it is released for Mac before 6-30-06, then I will buy one person on this forum a copy of it from my own pocket.

I'm confident that nobody will cash in on it, though...

11. Timelessblur macrumors 65816

Timelessblur

As it stands right now the only apple computers that stand a chance of running Far cry is an upgrauded Daul Processor G5s (I not going to conisender the PB on the grounds laptops and games dont mix). The upgrades required for the G5 is a ram up grade to a least 512 (1 gig would be better) and a graphic card upgrade to at least 9600XT (you may get away with not doing vidio card upgraded because the processors can pick up a lot of the slack).
    Fry cry is currently optizmed the best for AMD64 so it will really need a G5 chip to get there. The current not Powermacs lack the graphic card capibleity to even begin to run this game. I think there processors can handle it but there graphic card cannt and there processors dont have the power to take up the slack

To give you an idea one how demanding Fry cry is. I am auto dectect at meduim graphic setting. Running it at untrl high I will tell you looks sweet but my system will become choppy if major gun fire goes on or lots of movements.
    Specs are
    AMD 64 3000+
    1 gig of DDR400 ram with 2cl
    ATI 9600XT graphic card

In short there is currently no desktop apple offers out side of dual procossers that can even begin to compete for power to my computer. My friend with a new imac was in ah of it power.

12. Ninja_Turtle macrumors 6502

party

no one would buy a 3000$ computer JUST to play far cry...its just plain stupid, the Mac community wont do that, only the ones that have $$$...also you can just buy a cheaper PC to run far cry...isnt that smart? although i wouldnt buy a PC ever...but still...no Mac user would spend 3000 on a G5 and wait rougly 3 years for a game to be ported, and it might not even get ported....as for the Nvidia 6800,sure its a powerful video card, but what "cutting edge" games are you going to play with it, if your on a Mac?
    NONE...most cutting edge games are on PC, and take eh 6 months to be ported to the mac, and the ones that DO get ported are terrible games (ie.Shrek or Tron) that no one plays...probably the only game that is worthy of you buying an Nvidia 6800 is DOOM 3, that will for sure come out for mac, ID always does good things to its Mac community...

13. applekid macrumors 68020

Sorry, that was before my nap. :cool: Well, at least I was close compared to benpatient. :p

I'm going to hold you to it! I'll have a machine that can run it by then. :)

Ninja_Turtle, do you just ignore my posts? Get your facts right! Cutting-edge games? We've got Halo and UT2K4. And UT2K4 will undoubtedly be the engine for future games and so will Doom 3. We've got both games either here already or coming. That more than opens the possibility of future games to be ported. Now, I'll agree, no one is going to buy a G5 just to play FarCry. But, people are still buying G5s and using them as gaming rigs. That's right. People are buying G5s for gaming, too. It's not a large number, but they are. Your estimates of 3 years, is just unreasonable at all. Porting itself WILL NOT take 3 years. A porting-house is probably waiting for a good time to release FarCry if at all.

"Only terrible games are ported to the Mac"? That's a load of crap. Check the releases in the last month: CoD, BF1942, Tron 2.0, MoH: Breakthrough, Worms 3D, etc. And what was that? Those games listed above were top-10 best-sellers on the PC? Yeah, I guess those are terrible games. Not to mention, we've got RoN, Star Wars: KOTOR, and Homeworld 2 on the way, to name a few. Yes, all of the crap comes to the Mac. Riiiiiight. I'll agree, Shrek 2, it not a triple-A title or even an A title. It's more of a B title. But, think of it this way, just two years ago, we never got crappy games at all. But why are we getting them now? It's a sign that the game market is expanding on the Mac. And people most definitely still will buy it when it comes at low prices of 20 or 30 dollars.

All of your doom-saying is inaccurate.

14. Ninja_Turtle macrumors 6502

party

ok ok, i will agree that some people do buy G5s for gaming, hell i would too, but most of us, well in my area dont have that kind of money, as for games being ported taking 3 years, i over exagurated on that one but game porting does take awhile, and it seems so long, as for games actually ported, all the games you said are good, but other games that SHOULD be ported, arent being ported at all...so eh...most developers are too afraid to go into the Mac community, thats what makes me mad...take Sierra and Valve for instance, never released Half Life, and nor are they going to in Half Life 2, so its a terrible thing... :(

15. Timelessblur macrumors 65816

Timelessblur

well I think it been stated before if you want to game you get a PC. you can build a good gaming machien that can run Fry cry for 1 grand (and that everything including the OS monitor everything) Dont believe me I can give you a link.

also Fry cry has one hell of a nice engine and the AI are by far the best AI I have ever seen so it may be the future plateforum other games are built on. It better than the plateforum they using for UT2K4 or Doom. Windows computer > Macs for gaming end of story

16. applekid macrumors 68020

Using a Mac acts as a pretty good filter for gaming, IMHO. We don't get flooded with all of the rate B and C games. Mostly triple-A titles and an occasional B game. Not many bad games, in my opinion. Even if we're behind by about six months.

Ah, but there was a Half Life for Mac that was never released! Sierra chickened out at the last minute because they were afraid of maintaining compatibility between the Mac and PC versions. Now this was when the Mac was in its dark ages, so it's sort of reasonable to say. But, now we've got plenty of games ported and maintained (not all of them are being maintained as much as we hoped, but it's better than nothing. We get patches as they are needed minus a few games.), it should've been a risk Sierra should have been willing to take. It's probably a move they will always regret.

HL2 on the other hand still has a possibility. There is an OpenGL renderer already, and not to mention, porting houses are all over this game. There is lots of buzz about this one. Will we see something? we're not sure. But I'm sure the porting houses are trying their hardest to break a deal. Valve is hopefully not very secretive with their code and the hacking fiasco won't become a factor working against us. Deep down, I'm pretty confident we'll see HL2.

The current G5s are probably enough to run it, that is with at least a 9600XT. The DirectX renderer was able to achieve a steady 30 FPS on the 9600s. Considering OpenGL may be slightly slower, but this was in a very early build, I think we might be able to play this on a machine with at least a 9600. That might be a little hopeful though. Anyway, by the time Half Life 2 reaches the Mac, we'll have another generation of G5s, I believe. (Late 2004 release for Half Life, six months for porting to the Mac, and we should be in early-2005 with, hopefully, new G5s and hopefully a G5 iMac).

But for now, it's horribly important for Apple to release a G5 iMac with a decent graphics card ASAP. If Apple doesn't release a G5 iMac by the end of this year, the Mac gaming market is getting dangerously close to its downfall.

17. kuyu macrumors 6502a

kuyu

It's your graphics card. I've got the exact same system, but with an ATI Radeon X800 Pro 256 GDDR3 (card gets here tomorrow!!!). All the real world tests of this rig give Far Cry ~45 fps at 1280 with max detail on everything. I would recommend upgrading to the x800, if you can find one.

18. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

My mum's 6-month-old Dell laptop (the cheapest one in the catalogue) runs Far Cry OK-ish. The main bottleneck is the Intel onboard graphics :eek:. If a low-end laptop can run the game, then a mid-range Mac shouldn't have a problem.

I think Feral normally ports Ubisoft games, can anyone confirm this? Maybe we should ask Feral about the possibility of a Mac version of Far Cry.

19. Converted2Truth macrumors 6502a

Converted2Truth

I think porting this game would be a totally bad investment if the new G5 iMac has that nvidia 5200. Eff mac gaming if that be the case. I've mentioned before... that they need to integrade upgradable GPU into the iMac line. I'll never buy an iMac until they do.

20. iceTrX macrumors regular

Crytek (the developers of FarCry) are changing publishers from Ubisoft to EA. I know a lot of EA games are ported to the mac by Aspyr, maybe Aspyr would port FarCry?

21. applekid macrumors 68020

Feral deals with European game makers, and usually rate-B games.

We'd be better off trying to get Aspyr to be a publisher, I believe.

22. MacsRgr8 macrumors 604

MacsRgr8

EA Sports F1 2000 CS was ported by Feral, and well done too!
    I don't care who ports it.

23. Veldek macrumors 68000

Veldek

However, I just wrote an email to Feral. Perhaps I will try Aspyr, too. I hope they already know that this game is a big deal and I also hope they get the rights... soon.

24. Veldek macrumors 68000

Veldek

Well, Crytek is European. It's located in Germany.

25. benpatient macrumors 68000

yeah...all 100 people who would have bought the mac version could have kept Sierra from being bought out...

even though it's still selling at 40 dollars on PC in the stores. That's an unheard-of shelf life for any game. 6 years after Halo's release, you won't have to pay more than 10 dollars for it, if you can even find it in stores...

6 years after the release of Mario 3, you could only buy it on the gameboy or if you were lucky, find a copy of mario all-stars for the SNES for 10 bucks at a garage sale.

Half Life's popularity has continued in an unprecedented fashion, without any mac users at all.