Far Cry with Boot Camp runs amazing! (iMac CD 20")

Discussion in 'Games' started by Haoshiro, Jan 22, 2007.

1. Haoshiro macrumors 68000

Haoshiro

I finally got around to installing Boot Camp + Windows XP on my 20" iMac for LAN gaming and have been very impressed with the performance of the machine for gaming!

I have a "Rev A" 20" iMac (Core Duo) with 2GB of RAM, X1600 256MB.

Far Cry runs great, 45-60+ FPS (usually keeping close to 60) with ALL settings maxed (Very High), at 1280x768.

I don't usually try games higher resolution then that, as 1680x1050 is just too demanding, but games still look great a step down in resolution.

Overall I'm quite surprised, I didn't get the Mac intending to game on it, and never expected performance this good.

2. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

Good game, I enjoyed driving the boat around. I dont know why you are so surprised it runs great, Now if you had the GMA950 version of iMac you would be crying or spinning tales.;)

3. Haoshiro thread starter macrumors 68000

Haoshiro

I'm surprised I think mostly because I didn't really expect the system to perform well compared to the gaming PC it replaced.

When I first bought Far Cry I had to run it on medium settings, it was a very demanding game when it came out.

Later I upgraded to an nVidia 6600GT 256MB and I still don't remember it running this good on my PC.

I really had no experience with ATI cards and had no idea where the X1600 in the iMac sat on the speed scale, although I had heard it was the mobile version of the chip, so I thought it would be even worse.

Far Cry was the most demanding game I had, being able to max settings at a high resolution just really impresses me :D

4. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

Just so you're sure. You do realise you're not running the game "in Bootb Camp"? You're running the game "in Windows" - you could delete Boot Camp entirely because you only ever run it when you're setting yourMac up to run Windows. Once it's done it's not run ever again (except in the case of driver updates etc).

So any game in Windows running in dual-boot mode on a Mac will run as fast as it would on a PC with the same specs. Your Mac is just another PC when you dual-boot Windows.

It's pretty cool eh?! :D

5. Haoshiro thread starter macrumors 68000

Haoshiro

Oh well of course.

As these are Mac forums and virtualization software is readily available, people associate Boot Camp with a "full standard install of Windows", which is why I use that rather then "in Windows", saying "Boot Camp" also points out specifically that I'm running a Mac... although I noted that as well.

6. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

I recently gave FC a play on my Pentium 4 system. It ran very nice, managed to max everything out on the displays native res (19" 4:3 LCD, can't remember the res details!). It'll fly on my iMac. Shame I didn't like the game as soon as them creatures were introduced.

7. Haoshiro thread starter macrumors 68000

Haoshiro

Yeah, I rather felt it went down hill there too. I think for me it seemed like you were forced to go guns blazing instead of being able to choose how you play, and I liked to stealth as much as possible.

It might have helped if they had introduced the "Feral" stuff in the PC version around the same time, might have helped.

Of course, even after the introduction of Trigens there are still parts of levels where you mostly deal with Mercs in the classic fashion. Did you ever finish the game?

8. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Nope, gave up when you go down the elevator into the bunker-style place. game just got boring and there was huge slowdown on my old machine. Might start playing again.
    Though I got some strange graphical bugs. Like giant yellow rings that would appear whenever you shoot... Sorta like Sonic :confused:

9. Haoshiro thread starter macrumors 68000

Haoshiro

Past the bunker it does get better, imo. Far Cry performance always seemed strange, usually indoors in games always performed better then outdoors, which you would definitely expect in something with huge outdoor environments like Far Cry. But somehow it was opposite, my framerate would drop horribly indoors on my old PC, probably 25-50% of the outdoor framerate.

This hasn't happened to me on the iMac though, as even inside the tanker performance was great.

I do have all the latest patches installed though (1.4.0, iirc) so maybe they fixed those problems with a patch.... otherwise it's just the machine making it work better (hard to believe).

Those graphics bugs sound strange, do you have the game fully patched as well? The patches are pretty large...

10. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

The last levels in the volcano type place really sucked ass.
    All the creativitiy went into the first half of the game it seemed.

HL was like this also remember, great upto the point when you were in the alien homeworld, then it just sucked.

11. Haoshiro thread starter macrumors 68000

Haoshiro

Wow, yeah... that alien world sucked :D

HL2 was good all the way through... instead of letting the creativity die out, they just stopped the game... lol. No real proper ending, but hey... leaves them some time to get creative again with the Episodes. Personally I like the approach and would rather the game be cut short then to end on a low note.

12. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

*nods* I don't remember much of HL2 but the alien level with it's funky gravity did not play well at all. Glad they fixed that with HL2.

13. Chone macrumors 65816

Chone

I feel the need to point out that difference as well, just saying Boot Camp implies Windows on a Mac and thats that, we ALL know its native windows...

You should try overclocking now :D some trial and error, find your max OC and there you go, a smoother experience altogether.

Like the 7300GT in my Mac Pro, I'd figure I'd upgrade the card in there but with some nice overclocking its just fine for current games, I'm waiting for mid range DX10 cards to chuck in my Mac Pro for Windows.