Fashion Island Apple Store

Discussion in 'Community' started by MacAztec, Aug 18, 2002.

1. MacAztec macrumors 68040

MacAztec

I went to the Apple Store at Fashion Island (CA) to check out the new PowerMacs yesterday. My first impressions....SWEET

I thought they were hella fast, even on 256MB of RAM!!! Hehe, i was scaring other people in the store, because I was talking to em on iChat via Rendevous....hehehe

Yea, they were sweetness, but one thing pisses me off....

Where the hell are the damn games? I mean, we have this superior machine with FCP 3, Photoshop, Paint, all these nice programs, and not one friggin game.

How are they going to attract kids my age with a program they dont know how to use?

We need some Wolf/Quake/MOH goin on man!!!

Oh yea, next time im in the area (next week) I would like to meet up with someone in the area!!!

2. vniow macrumors G4

Re: Fashion Island Apple Store

Hehehe, tweaking people who don't know how to tweak back is fun. :D
    Wish that store was closer to me though. I'd gladly go for that thing on the 23rd. Anybody in the Bay Area going?

3. macsurfer macrumors regular

If you want to play games, get a Playstation. Games are the LEAST important thing for a Mac to be able to do. I don't even think Apple REALLY cares about games. Frankly, the two most important markets for Apple right now are the general consumer market (office apps, quicken, internet, email and chat) and professional film, video, and music.

4. MacAztec thread starter macrumors 68040

MacAztec

What about the people who play games? I mean, if Apple wants in on the market, their computers have to prove to be BETTER so people buy them. What happens when people say that Macs dont support games?

At MWSF 01, all the G4s were playing Quake, all against eachother, and it was bad ass. Apple should make a game room at their store...maybe a room with about 8 powermacs and screens playing quake....

5. macsurfer macrumors regular

That's what I'm saying. Games? Not important really to Apple at all, it's just not an important market. I'm not saying they ignore it, but a Mac can and is intended to be so much more than a game machine. It's just not at the top of the priority list, in fact, it's at the bottom.

6. macsurfer macrumors regular

Ummmm not much...it's not a market Apple is going after. Sony and Nintendo, are though. Check with them.

7. MacAztec thread starter macrumors 68040

MacAztec

Well there goes most kids....

8. macsurfer macrumors regular

Not really. Most kids get exposure to macs in school, plus it's not like surfing the net and online chatting isn't popular among kids, in fact, it's probably more popular than games. IM and chat and email has probably almost replaced the telephone in importance in teens lives!

9. sparkleytone macrumors 68020

sparkleytone

the plain and simple fact is that the section of home computer users that spend the most money are gamers. i can agree with the sentiment to make gaming better. i really feel that OS X is actually moving in the direction of being a better gaming OS, as the OS and video hardware have much more to do with performance than the actuall CPU. if Apple can get more game developers on board to develop mac games at the same time as pc games, then you will see more people jump ship. wc3 was a step in the right direction. rtcw was a misguided step in the middle direction. do not code your games in carbon plz kthx. i see that it is coming along, but they need to speed it up.

10. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

Apple would do well to pay attention to the largest (and fastest growing) home market for technology--games. They don't need to create a game console. They need to get game development back on track with facilitating the use of various controllers and by showcasing games in their stores.

Perhaps, people want to use Quicken but it's a chore. Where's the fun?

Mac OS X is just the platform that would make gaming great. Linux has already had more than a little success because gamers have a stable platform. It's obvious that Apple doesn't always prioritise well, so perhaps, it's time to move gaming up the list a bit.

11. firewire2001 macrumors 6502a

i think that apple is trying to attract older customers and ppl that, frankly, arent into games..

if apple were to make a "game" area i think that it would scare off a lotta regular ppl.. i mean, can you imagine ppl haning arpound there like all day.. i mean, its not really the feeling their trying to get across in there..

-f

12. Hemingray macrumors 68030

Hemingray

I'll be going to the Fashion Island, CA Apple Store event on Friday. I plan on wearing my Red Dwarf "Gunmen of the Apocalypse" t-shirt so there'll be no mistaking me. :D Anyone else going to go?