Fast DVD Copy

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by SaleenS351, Apr 26, 2005.

1. SaleenS351 macrumors 6502

Was wondering what people's thought's were on this software, and if anyone knows if it takes advantage of a dual layer optical drive. thanks

2. jeremy.king macrumors 603

jeremy.king

I d/l the trial version and it choked on the first disc I tried. :(

3. SaleenS351 thread starter macrumors 6502

I hope the actual software would be different than the trial one..no? I'm trying to find a decent dvd burner software that will support dual layer burning, I've looked into popcorn and such but those a basically compressor programs..right?

4. DXoverDY macrumors 6502a

Toast does dual layer burning. I imagine Tiger will to since the new powermacs will ship with dual layer.. or are they already?

5. SaleenS351 thread starter macrumors 6502

toast doesn't compress tho does it?...all though with dual layer i guess you really don't need to compress the dvd. It would be nice to find one that does both, since dual layer dvds are not cheap.

6. eyeon macrumors regular

I've been using Fast DVD Copy for quite some time, and I really lke it. It does compress the video to fit on one disc, which in some cases can significantly degrade the quality, but for what I'm using it for it doesn't matter.

7. BrianKonarsMac macrumors 65816

well hate to burst your bubble, but the trial version IS the retail version, just limited to a few burns.

okay so you want DVD Burner software that takes advantage of dual layer discs?...

all you need to do is decrypt the DVD then. presto. your DVD is dual layer ready. enjoy.

free > $$$ try DVD Backup, or if it's not pretty enough for you, the GUI Wrapper for it aka MacTheRipper.

so basically you just need a DVD Burning program...which OS X has built in (Disk Utility) or you can spend $$$ on Toast aka DVD Burning for Dummies.

8. SaleenS351 thread starter macrumors 6502

Does disk utility allow you to select episodes and such?..sorry i really don't know much about dvd burning, and I don't want to go spending $50-100 on something that's not what I wanted. What is the reall advantage of these types of software such as toast and fast dvd copy? If you can burn it for free with disk utility?...is it just the ability to compress it onto a 4.7GB disc

9. annk Administrator

annk

Staff Member

I've also been using it for a while, and like it. You have the opportunity to choose which elements are included, if you feel the compression compromises the quality too much.

10. SaleenS351 thread starter macrumors 6502

does toast have the ability to compress as well?

11. jeremy.king macrumors 603

jeremy.king

Popcorn does. Another Roxio product that I recently got for $30 for being a Toast owner.

12. kugino macrumors 65816

kugino

to rip/remove anti-copying stuff: mac the ripper
    to compress to fit on standard (4.7GB) DVD: dvd2one
    to burn to DVD, both standard and dual layer: toast titanium 6.x

this is what i use and have been happy with it. mac the ripper is free and does a DVD in about 12-15 minutes on my PM. dvd2one is pricey, especially now with the weak dollar. haven't used popcorn so i don't know how its compression algorithms are...should be about the same as dvd2one, although i've heard popcorn and dvd2one have slightly different features. dvd2one seems to have more. i can compress a 7.5 gb dvd to 4.4 gb in about 15-20 minutes on my PM. i like toast, especially since i can run multiple toast sessions at once and burn discs both on my internal 108 drive and my external 107 drive. saves time. and it's fast.

13. SaleenS351 thread starter macrumors 6502

Does dvd2one or popcorn allow you to select epsiodes and such or is fast dvd copy the only one that lets you do that? why not just save the extra $100 and just use disk utility? isn't that possible?