Fast switch cube with more than 6 users?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by jknight8907, Mar 22, 2006.

1. jknight8907 macrumors 6502a

jknight8907

As I was switching users on our 2-user Powerbook, I noticed that to switch to her profile, the cube spun to the right. When I switched back, it spun to the left. This tends to imply that there is a specific 'side' for each user. If this is the case, what happens when you have more than 6 fast-switching users? (A cube has six sides) :confused:

2. iPhil macrumors 68040

iPhil

Try this by 6 more std users to the PB via system preferences>accounts and try ?:eek:

can't try it because i'm on a slow G3 iMac :eek: :eek:

3. progx macrumors regular

progx

your G3 iMac is not that much different from a G4, in terms of bus speed.

you're just limited by your ATI Rage card :D;)

4. iPhil macrumors 68040

iPhil

Yep you're right this system doesn't support the cube effects like on G4's :eek:

the video card is only 8MB :eek: but its fine what i do on the system ..

5. jkballer23 macrumors member

well, instead of creating 6, why not just create 3 and see if it does something other than going left and right. If not, then you know it doesn't really rely on a cube and isn't limited to 6 users.

6. calebjohnston macrumors 68000

calebjohnston

7. Gary King macrumors 6502

It is not a cube, but it does remember each account's position relative to others, so it knows which direction to spin in. If you only have 2 accounts, then it makes a flat, two-dimensional shape, anyways, and that certainly isn't a cube.

8. .:*Robot Boy*:. macrumors 6502

I just created six accounts in addition to my usual account (seven in total) and used Fast User Switching to flip between them all. The 'cube' only rotates to the left and right - never top-wise. Like Gary King said, it remembers each account's position on the 'cube' and the direction of rotation changes accordingly. I must admit, I was a little disappointed! :( :rolleyes: :p

Incidentally, is there a name for such an object (a shape with multiple sides of equal size but no top or bottom)? I fear I've just asked a question to which there is a blindingly-obvious answer that I've overlooked. Eek!

:confused:

9. calebjohnston macrumors 68000

calebjohnston

Negative. A 3d object has to be covered on all sides.