Fast User Switching and "trust"

Discussion in 'Mac OS X 10.3 (Panther) Discussion' started by yadmonkey, Oct 27, 2003.

1. macrumors 65816

yadmonkey

Hi, when you activate fast user switching, it gives you a little note that says you should only activate this if you "trust" the other users on your computer, but it doesn't say why. Well since you need passwords to return to your own user profile, what can the other users do that requires your trust? Is there some security hole that I should know about?

2. Wes
    macrumors 68020

Wes

Re: Fast User Switching and "trust"

I don't need the passwords to go back between the accounts, so I think that's where the trust comes in. Also, if the other person has an administrator password, he can shut down the computer while your work may be left in the other account.

3. thread starter macrumors 65816

yadmonkey

ahhh.. thanks, Wes. So I guess since I am the only admin on this computer and require passwords for user switching, it is pretty failsafe.

4. macrumors newbie

Presumably, someone on a switched account without administrative rights could crash the system whilst you are AFK, albeit by accident. Again, possible loss of work.

5. macrumors 68000

GeeYouEye

Also, presumably, they could use top in the Terminal to find out what you're running, and kill it.

6. macrumors 6502a

LimeLite

I think there are also certain apps that can't run on multiple accounts at the same time. At least when I tried it, I couldn't have iTunes running on more than one account. Can someone verify this, or was I doing something wrong?

7. Wes
    macrumors 68020

Wes

That is true.

8. macrumors 6502a

markjones05

How can you make it so passwords are not needed when switching from account to account?

9. macrumors 68030

crazzyeddie

I always need a password when switching to/from non-admin accounts... anyway i can disable this?

10. macrumors 6502a

g30ffr3y

just set the passwords to nothing... meaning a blank field... it works for me...