Fast User Switching drops my ADSL connection :(

Discussion in 'Mac OS X 10.3 (Panther) Discussion' started by robster, Feb 2, 2004.

1. robster macrumors newbie

Hi all,

I have fast user switching going and when I switch to say, my wifes account, the net drops itself off (or doesn't make itself available) to her account. I go to internet connect and dial from hers and it connects, then when switching back to mine, it disconects and I have to dial again.

Is there a way to keep the net open when on both account? It seems silly to have to re-connect each time I switch users (especially if I'm dloading etc on the other account at the time).

Thanks a ton :)

Rob

2. jeremy.king macrumors 603

jeremy.king

3. iMeowbot macrumors G3

iMeowbot

The easiest way to deal with this stuff is just to get one of those little routers to handle the DSL connection. The NAT and filtering that come built into them also have the nice side effect that all those annoying unwanted connections from certain other vendors' computers get nipped in the bud, so your Mac doesn't have to waste time dispensing with them.

4. robster thread starter macrumors newbie

mmm, thanks for the replies :)
    That sounds great but is there a software way to do it?

I'd rather not HAVE to pay :) I will if I have to, it just seems... messy to have to plug hardware into the machine to keep the connection alive.

Thanks again all...

Rob

5. mklos macrumors 68000

mklos

This probably will not make any difference, but its worth a shot. I know you probably use PPPoE but if you go back to Internal Modem and then click on PPP Options and then uncheck the box that says disconnect when user logs out. I doubt this will work, but its worth a shot. I certinally can't hurt anything!

6. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

This is why PPPoE is evil. I had an ADSL connection with Verizon, and they thankfully had DHCP, instead of PPPoE. I'd think about switching services.

TEG

7. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

rainman::|:|

yep, i don't think there's a software method, rather than buying a router you might consider switching services to one that doesn't use the redundant PPPoE. It's really a pointless form of security that's long outdated and causes problems like the one you're experiencing now.

paul

8. iMeowbot macrumors G3

iMeowbot

Verizon went to PPPoE in the areas that used to be Bell Atlantic, and eventually that will happen in the old GTE territory too. Other providers are likely to do the same over time if they haven't already; security concerns, infrastructure flexibility and distributed/outsourced services are just mkaing it way too compelling.

Wherr ISPs could do batter is to update their premises hardware. DSL bridges and cable adapters with built-in NAT are commonplace now, and offering service set up that way should really become the default. IT would cut down on support issues for security problems overnight, let the more mature DHCP stuff built into most OSes do the right thing magically, and still let the ISP take advantage of PPPoE.

9. iMeowbot macrumors G3

iMeowbot

The primary motivation for implementing PPPoE isn't really security, but money. Lots of infrastructure -- especially the third-party variety -- is built around services like RADIUS that make it really easy to handle user information. Solutions like DHCP don't really offer the same flexibility.

10. robster thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks everyone for your help... I don't want to get tied into a new 1 Year contract by switching providers (just got out of mine as it is! ;)) so I will purchase the hardware instead. Perhaps if I'm doing that I will get a wireless ADSL modem/router combo! Been looking for an excuse to do that anyway.

Thanks again all :)

Rob

11. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

Since there seem to be knowledgeable people here :), what exactly are PPPoE and PPPoA? I've seen the PPPoE tab in Network Preferences, and my DSL modem has PPPoA selected for Encapsulation Type.

On a side note, I see that Safari 1.2 has fixed my DSL control panel :)

12. MacBandit macrumors 604

MacBandit

Re: Fast User Switching drops my ADSL connection :(

Are you both using the same internet account as in you get your email from Mail or another such email client or are they separate like with AOL?

13. robster thread starter macrumors newbie

We both use the same mail (BT Internet) and both use the same web/connection everything. It would be great if you have some gleaming of knowlege there to save us forking the $ on new hardware (£ in this case).

I just want to have a locked off account for her and the kids to stop our lil ones dragging all my stuff off the dock and all the rest into the trash! ;)

Thanks a ton :)

Rob

14. MacBandit macrumors 604

MacBandit

You don't have her setup as an admin do you?

Be sure to check to make sure that her system prefs for network are the same as yours. There should be no reason for a router in this situation. In fact I can't see how it will help since this is all on the same computer. If the system prefs are set correctly then it should maintain it's internet connection even with FUS. In the networking prefpane go to the second drop down menu titled show:. Select Network Port Configuration. In here turn off any devices you are not using then select the networking device you use and drag it to the top of the list. Go to here account and make sure her settings aren't any different. They should not change.