fast user switching icon/name - disappeared!

Discussion in 'macOS' started by MrLee, Jan 8, 2006.

1. MrLee macrumors newbie

Having never had a problem with fast user switching, suddenly the name/icon to allow switching between different accounts has vanished.

Needless to say, fast user switching is enabled on both accounts. Even after unchecking and then re-checking before starting up again, I've had no joy at all.

Anybody had a similar problem, or get any advice?

Thanks!

2. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

Try opening Activity Monitor, and force quitting SystemUI Server. Don't worry, all it runs is the menubar stuff, and doesn't require you to logout. It will start itself again in a few seconds.

3. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

If restarting SystemUI Server doesn't help, then I'd disable then re-enable Fast User Switching in the System Preferences.

If that doesn't help then I'd try removing com.apple.systemuiserver.plist and com.apple.systemuiserver.XXX.plist where XXX is a bunch of seemingly random numbers. You can find both of these through Spotlight. Take them out of the folder you find them in and place them on the desktop before restarting (although a simply log out should suffice). This will result in the creation of default versions in their place. If it doesn't help your problem, then put the original PLIST files back where you found them (replacing the new ones) and restart again. :)

4. MrLee thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks guys.

Unfortunately, I've tried everything you've suggested and had no success.

Although whilst I could find com.apple.systemuiserver.plist, I couldn't find com.apple.systemuiserver.XXX.plist. Is that a problem?

Thanks again.