Faster downloads?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Hobodale, Jun 15, 2006.

1. Hobodale macrumors member

Hobodale

I Just got my new macbook, its my first mac. On my windows pc I used Download Accelerator Plus and I got download rates of around 750kb/s, but on my mac with safari I only get at most 200kb/s(and thats rare). Are there any good programs(preferably freeware) that would help speed up my downloading?

2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Are the network settings and configurations identical? These download accelerators are usually quite misleading and useless.

3. Fearless Leader macrumors 68020

ok the amount of data that you can get to your house is well lets just say 800kb/s. (were just using this as an example) most servers couldn't offer 800kb/s to each and every person. so the servers usaually put a cap on the connection. and in this example lets say 250kb/s

well the reason Dap can get around this is it opens multiple connections to the server, lets say three at a time resulting in ~750kb/s, then reasembles the three chunks latter.

safari can only download with 1 connection resulting in 250kb/s.

Also don't use dap alot, those two other connections made will fill two spots other people could have.

its a terminal tool called axel i use for linux iso downloads, axel just follow the directions and you'll need to install darwinports first.

sorry about the long post

4. jaxstate macrumors 6502a

Sorry I can't help your, but you've just helped me. Thanks for the DAP program hint for the Windows OS:).