Faster HD and more RAM = better PB gaming?

Discussion in 'Games' started by vashim66, Oct 19, 2004.

1. vashim66 macrumors member

I have a 1.25GHz 15inch PB with the stock 4200RPM drive and 512MB of RAM. I'm wondering how much upgrading to a 7200RPM and 1.25GB of RAM will help in terms of fps when playing games. I get around 18-20 fps in world of warcraft now, just wondering how much an upgrade like this would help or am I too limited by the radeon 9600 card.

Please post fps in popular games if you have done a similar upgrade with this machine.

Thanks!

2. mishi macrumors regular

mishi

I am getting about 35-40 FPS in warcraft on my powerbook (full graphics). i would think that yours would be alot better than that. and yes you are stuck with a 9600 like me. there great cards.

3. vraxtus macrumors 65816

vraxtus

How do you know you're getting 35-40 FPS on War3 when 1) there is no FPS display command in War3 and 2) the human eye can't distinguish over 30 FPS?

4. mishi macrumors regular

mishi

You use ATI displays 4.4 to display your framerate constantly

5. vraxtus macrumors 65816

vraxtus

I'm using 4.4 with my 9800 and I see no option for that.

6. Maxx Power macrumors 6502a

Maxx Power

I see there are still people who can't distinguish the two:

Human eyes can't see more than 30 FPS of motion captured images.

Computers do not generate motion captured images, they just generate plain images without motion blur. you need more of these frames to fill in the gap. If something moves fast, you will need even more frames to equal to the effect of 1 single motion captured (motion blur which is second derivative of motion) image.

7. cluthz macrumors 68040

cluthz

I don't think a faster hd will give you better framerates, but it will give you shorther load times. 512 mb ram should be enuff ram for wc3, but i would buy more RAM. If you need more speed, atiaccelerator II could be worth a shot.
    (i think i've heard about some insane oc results with radeon 9600 mobility.. could be wrong)

8. vashim66 thread starter macrumors member

9. mishi macrumors regular

mishi

Have you downloaded the rom update?

10. mishi macrumors regular

mishi

how do you get atiaccelerator?

11. vraxtus macrumors 65816

vraxtus

I just told you I have 4.4... 4.4 was PACKAGED with the ROM update... so how can I *NOT* have it???

I've checked multiple times over and there is NO way to display a constant FPS rate with ATI Utilities v4.4. Methinks there's a bit of lying going on about here.

12. JeDiBoYTJ macrumors 6502a

JeDiBoYTJ

A Faster HD in a Powerbook will only make programs load faster, and wont really change much in gameplay in terms of FPS or graphics, it will just make it load quicker.

More RAM could help a little, but mainly it will make it so you can have more apps open at once

13. vraxtus macrumors 65816

vraxtus

That's not entirely true...

Faster HDs yes will mostly improve load times more than anything else but at the same time there is a differential between how much the CPU can decompress and how much raw data can be sent to the CPU for decompression.

RAM on the other hand can actually show some serious improvements to gaming FPS rates. For games such as Doom3 that have a larger texture set (over 500 MB), a larger amount of RAM is useful for precaching texture loads that can't be stored in the GPU RAM buffer. So in other words if you have a weaker video card more RAM can help for texture buffering and help improve your FPS rates slightly.

14. vraxtus macrumors 65816

vraxtus

Ever heard of "ghosting"?

GG

15. Maxx Power macrumors 6502a

Maxx Power

That's not the same thing. That's the residue of a pixel after it has been unlit. The whole screen is affected in this, where as motion blur only affects the moving objects, and the pixel trail lasts for a fixed amount of time, where as motion blur is proportional to the speed of the object. The only thing that gives you the clue of speed when looking at a picture is how blurred the object that moved is, in ghosting, all appears to move at the same speed since every lit pixel remains shiny for the same amount of time. Ghosting only affects LCD's as well.

16. vraxtus macrumors 65816

vraxtus

I should have pointed out that I am using an LCD :D

Secondly I'd say that's only partly true as the color differential is what would make ghosting the most apparent. Contrasting whites against blacks would have a far more visible ghosting effect than a black against a blue or a dark blue, for instance.

17. cluthz macrumors 68040

cluthz

18. frozenstar macrumors regular

Yes, but the whole subject of ghosting is still irrellevant. The issue is how the computer processes imagery, not how the monitor displays it.