Faster HDD uses more BatterY?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by Snoozy, Mar 8, 2004.

1. Snoozy macrumors newbie

I'm am getting a 15" powerbook and I want the 5400 RPM hdd, but is it going to use up alot more battery? or is it only ~5% or something.

2. Stolid macrumors regular

Stolid

I've seen reports that a faster HD will not effect battery life at all; and can even improve it. So no it won't from all I've read ^_^

3. Snoozy thread starter macrumors newbie

Well then I'm totally sold :)

4. idkew macrumors 68020

idkew

where the concrete to dirt ratio is better
    supposedly since the hd is faster, it is in use less, and therefore uses less battery and produces less heat.

5. JFreak macrumors 68040

JFreak

in my EXPERIENCE idkew's theory is correct; i exchanged tibook's stock drive (4200rpm) to hitachi 7200rpm drive and immediately noticed that the thing runs cooler and the cooling fan was almost nonexistent after the hd change although it was almost always on before.

the hd change had no impact on battery life, the current draw is equal. the thing takes little bit more power when it operates, but it in fact operates less and has more idle time, which is balancing the need for power.

but, man, it's faster. almost feels like it doubled the overall speed of the 'book.