faster ibook?

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by jefhatfield, Aug 6, 2002.

1. jefhatfield Retired

Jul 9, 2000
    should the ibook be allowed to surpass the tibook in cpu clock speed?

what if tibook gets handcuffed at 800 mhz...would it make sense for a faster (900 mhz, 1 ghz) ibook on the market at the same time?

and would it cannibalize tibook sales or are the two products targeted at completely different audiences?

...keep in mind that the tibook has the more expensive titanium body, the larger screen, altivec, and a pcmcia slot
  2. D0ct0rteeth macrumors 65816

Mar 11, 2002
    Franklin, TN
    I agree that they are aimed at completely different audiences and especially with the G3 processer the iBook has its own audience.,, it cannot be taken seriously by creative professional super users.

That being said; I imagine the iBook will move to a g4 chip before surpassing any tiBook specs. But then again I could just be full of it.
  3. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

Jun 25, 2002
    Gone but not forgotten.
    It wouldn't bother me if the clock speeds were the same or not, as long as the system throughput were better on the more expensive systems.

I think most of us have seen that 500 MHz does not equal 500 MHz does not equal 500 MHz.

Obviously, there are places where the clock speed factors dearly into the equation. The non-AltiVec-enhanced programs (like Adobe AfterEffects) are a sure sign of that. It seems as though AMD have a more effective Megahertz Myth argument since the clock speed is closer.
  4. scem0 macrumors 604

Jul 16, 2002
    back in NYC!
    I dont think that we will see an update to the iBook, unless it gets a g4 processor. This is what I think COULD happen - apple releases the new PM in mid august (perhaps the 15th), and then updates both the TiBook and the iBook in sept or august.

That might mean:

1.4 Ghz PM
    1 GHz TiBook
    933 Mhz iBook

:rolleyes: I wouldnt mind that. ;)
  5. Ensign Paris macrumors 68000

Ensign Paris

Nov 4, 2001
    I think the iBook might be allowed to match but not surpass the Powerbook. The powerbook will go up to a ghz some time soon but I am not sure when,

6. ibookin' macrumors 65816

Jul 7, 2002
    Los Angeles, CA
    Remember what happend way back when with the Powerbook G3 Psimo/iBook. Apple gave the iBook a faster CPU than the Powerbook and Powerbook sales suffered.
  7. jefhatfield thread starter Retired

Jul 9, 2000
    same processor though

we are talking g3 standard processor vs. altivec g4 processor
  8. RowdyFROG macrumors newbie

May 1, 2002
    Fremantle AUS, where else?
    Did pbook sales really suffer, or was it just all the people who had just bought a pbook for processor alone (rather a blinkered view, don't you agree?) started complaining because they could have saved their money and bought an ibook? I think higher end users look at more than just processor speed.

Did it just show pbooks to actually be overpriced for what you got? This is a whole other can o'worms.