Faster Internet?

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by seabass069, Nov 1, 2005.

1. JDOG_ macrumors 6502a

Nov 19, 2003
    I'm just looking forward to when Comcast bumps my cable up to 6mb/s next month. You'd think they could push it to 10 easily...they've got the pipe.
  2. EricNau Moderator emeritus

Apr 27, 2005
    San Francisco, CA
    I've got Comcast, are they bumping everyones up? Right now the only way I can get 6 mb/s is paying $10 extra.
  3. greatdevourer macrumors 68000

Aug 5, 2005
    Erm... why have they just said "it's fast", but not how fast?

And we're on 3, being moved up to 10 somtime soon. When Be get their act together, we'll probably switch to them (24mbit, anyone?)
  4. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Apr 3, 2004
    Adelaide, Australia

Good, not great, but good. Regular browsing there's almost no difference unless you have a lot of tabs open. Straight downloads can be damn fast though. :)
  5. DJY macrumors 6502a

Dec 20, 2003
    Canberra AUST
    Irony here is... the news site - is our government funded televsion stations news webpage that reported that story...

also here in Aust the half government owned national Telco that has virtually a monopolgy on ADSL has limited our ADSL speeds to 256, 512, 1500 download...and mostly 256 upload.

Couple of exemptions to the rule - 512/512 for gamers...
    which means even though I am on the fastest ADSL package available 1500/256 I can't do multi person video chat in iChat... as you need min 384 both ways?!?!?!!

Oh yeah and ADSL1 can go up to 8MB... let alone ADSL2 or ADSL2+

A few ISPs are now rolling out their own system to allow some people faster connection speeds (without mentioning cable speeds or business connections)...

oh did I also mention we seem to have generally quite restrictive monthly donwload limits still? Like then we all started on dial up!?!?!?

Oh yeah same national telco has a nice little monopoly of WiFi hotspots - but don't start me their charging scheme there!

bleat finished!