faster or bigger HD mbp?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by logicpro7, Oct 23, 2006.

1. logicpro7 macrumors 6502a

hi,
    i will be purchasing a mbp as soon as they announce the new model and just want to know what would be the best option in my situation.

i will be using it for audio and video editing and i will be maxing out the ram either with apple or by purchasing aftermarket ram.
    i want some advice on hard drive options. should i go for a bigger hard drive? or would the smaller faster hard drive be a better option for audio/video work?

of course i dont know what the new models options will be,but i would like to be prepared for when the the update happens.

thanks.

2. indigoflowAS macrumors 6502

indigoflowAS

I would be willing to say go for the faster RPMs. I've personally not been able to witness the performance increases of 5400 to 7200PRMs I hear it's quite evident. Another idea may be to get the one that comes w/ the next gen MBP and replace it w/ one bought from another seller for say...$160 maybe?....that way you can put the factory one in a 2.5 SATA enclosure instead of giving Apple an extra $100 and have one drive...you'll have the additional speed you need inside the MBP and some extra storage on the outside :)

PS, get the RAM from another outlet as well, heh.

Enjoy the machine when it comes out (think hell is starting to freeze over :p)

3. mdntcallr macrumors 65816

mdntcallr

dunno what hd models apple will offer with new model.

my bet is apple will release an option with 160GB drive. this drive has been avail for some time now, and with video and more needs, growing itunes library, aperture and more. there are tons of reasons to get larger hard drives in laptops.

4. PowerMike G5 macrumors regular

I do a lot of video editing and I have had both a 5400RPM and 7200RPM drive (which I have currently).

I have definitely noticed a speed difference ... 7200RPM IMHO is totally worth it.