Faster way to get a DVD onto my MBA than Remotedisc?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by GhostMac24, Sep 5, 2012.

1. macrumors 6502

So I am trying to get my MS Office 2011 disc installed on my MBA and it is reading over 4 hours and just keeps going up in time! Possible to copy the DVD to a SD card and run from that?

By the way, the machines I am using are the newest iMac 27 and MPA 13.

THanks!

2. macrumors regular

Get an external DVD drive. Whatever is cheap from the store, you don't even need the Apple drive.

3. thread starter macrumors 6502

I figured that was the remedy. I can't believe how crappy this remote drive is. Over 4 hours for a single install and then it crashed 2x!

4. macrumors regular

5. macrumors 6502a

I ended up buying the Apple Superdrive DVD burner off ebay new for $57. I wanted to get a less expensive one, but all the others I could find were a 2 cable solution.

6. macrumors 65816

drsox

Here's a different alternative.

There is a USB server from Silex. This connects though a network and connects anything that is attached to the USB server to a virtual USB connection on your Mac.

I have a DVD drive, a Scanner, a USB drive, a camera and an iPhone all connected through the server (though an add-on USB hub) to my MBA (and to any other PC).

See : http://www.silexeurope.com

The other benefit is that all this USB stuff can sit on another desk/surface !

7. macrumors regular

I use an HP slot-load that I had from back when I had a netbook that I use. It has a two cable option if required, but I don't have to use it. Its unique in that the second cable is completely separate, so it doesn't just hang there if not being used. :)

I really need a USB hub for the first time in my life. :( I have my Air ghetto-rigged right now. Air - Apple 20" LCD - Dell 20" LCD (only for its USB ports, lol). My equipment is spread across both mine and my wife's desk. :p

8. thread starter macrumors 6502