Fastest browser for streaming video on older G3?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by macjay, Nov 14, 2006.

1. macjay macrumors 6502

Hi,

I noticed that on my 600mhz iBook G3, streaming YouTube video is smoother with Firefox than with Safari. Are there any other browsers that might be even faster/more efficient than Firefox for streaming video? My iBook serves me well, however it has started to show its age with choppy video playback.

Thanks.

2. rdf8585 macrumors regular

Not sure what to say.... my Mini can't handle most kinds of flash/streaming videos though youtube is alright. And WMP absolutely sucks 95% of the time.... unfornately for me, I happen to have a need for WMP playback a lot. Flip4Mac has a lot of work to do.

3. x86isslow macrumors 6502a

Try Camino. It very similar to Firefox because it uses Gecko, but is a lot faster to launch because it is Cocoa.

4. rdf8585 macrumors regular

I would not recommend Camino, especially if streaming video is a concern. Here's why -

Microsoft’s Windows Media Player (WMP) plugin causes major rendering issues in Camino. Since Microsoft has discontinued WMP on Mac OS X, Camino no longer supports the use of the WMP plugin; instead, all users should download the free Flip4Mac (F4M) plugin, version 2.1 or higher, from flip4mac.com. Version 2.1 causes pages containing WMP content to become white when scrolled in Camino; there is currently no ETA for a fixed version of F4M. Users are advised to turn off the plugin.

5. x86isslow macrumors 6502a

Just to clarify:
    The original question was on how to play YouTube content, which is NOT Windows Media Player content, and which renders smoothly on Camino.

Also,
    The WMP plugin does still work better, in my opinion, than FlipForMac.[​IMG]