Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hayduke

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 8, 2005
is a state of mind.
What is the fastest/best drive you can get for the MacPro if capacity isn't the concern. Is a 10000RPM SATA drive as good as it gets? Are smaller drives faster than larger drives?

bearbo

macrumors 68000
Jul 20, 2006
does Raptor X has any technical advantage over Raptor?

does any 15000RPM drive work with mac pro (with SCSI interface)?

CanadaRAM

macrumors G5
Actually, smaller drives are slower than larger ones.

1) lower areal density. A larger capacity drive usually packs more data bits per track, such as with perpendicular recording
2) the heads move to inside tracks sooner (throughput is directly related to the track length - that is, the londitudinal distance the head covers in one complete revolution. The closer you get to the hub of the platter, the less data passes under the head in one revolution
3) Smaller platter diameter, in the Raptors and in laptop drives, means less data per revolution compared to 'full size' 3.5" platters (see (2))

djellison

macrumors 68020
Feb 2, 2007
Pasadena CA
Not sure what you are trying to say - but upgrading my PC's hard-drive from a 7200rpm Segate to a 70 gig Raptor gave me an ENORMOUS improvement in the responsiveness and 'snappy' performance jumping from app to app, loading and working on large files etc.

http://tomshardware.co.uk/storage/charts.html?modelx=33&model1=280&model2=142&chart=48
From an annecdotal perspective - I would agree with that chart.

If I had a Mac Pro - dropping a raptor in as the system HDD would be on my list of 'to dos'

Doug

hayduke

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 8, 2005
is a state of mind.
Not sure what you are trying to say - but upgrading my PC's hard-drive from a 7200rpm Segate to a 70 gig Raptor gave me an ENORMOUS improvement in the responsiveness and 'snappy' performance jumping from app to app, loading and working on large files etc.

http://tomshardware.co.uk/storage/charts.html?modelx=33&model1=280&model2=142&chart=48
From an annecdotal perspective - I would agree with that chart.

If I had a Mac Pro - dropping a raptor in as the system HDD would be on my list of 'to dos'

Doug

This is great to hear. I'll look into it a bit more. Thanks for the tips. The Raptor sounds good.

Sesshi

macrumors G3
Jun 3, 2006
One Nation Under Gordon
I have no idea whether you can get the SAS controller separately - SAS compatibility is there on the XServes. I run all my Dell Precisions and one of my XPS's using 15K SAS drives - they would be the best you can get, but you may have to settle for second best on the Mac.

AlexMaximus

macrumors 65816
Aug 15, 2006
A400M Base
go for Raptor 150

:apple: On the speed side the Raptor 150 G is unbeatable among all drives in the SATA field. Use it as a boot drive and you will be more then happy. I would not go with the X version (the one with the window) because of heat.
The window is non metal and does not contribute to heat radiation. This means the X version is hotter and has a shorter product live cycle.

However if money is not an issue go with a 15K SCSI, however this is most expensive. I am wondering in the days of Raptor how SCSI is able to sell.

NATO

macrumors 68000
Feb 14, 2005
Northern Ireland
The Raptor-X (as opposed to the non-windowed version) has a lower MTBF reliability, so I wouldn't bother with it unless you *really* want to watch it through the little window :D

Houston

macrumors regular
Jul 23, 2002
Fast Drives

I have 4 Raptor 150 drives running in an Stripped Array configuration in my Mac Pro 3 Ghz computer. Guess that's about a fast as you can get until new MacPro is finally released. It smokes!!!

slicedbread

macrumors 6502
Nov 5, 2006
he said nothing of noise concern, and they are not terribly loud if you get grommets, if you dont, good luck.

Can you even use grommets with the mac pro bay sleeves? I know from my own experience that grommeted HDDs are almost silent in comparison, but did not know you could use them on a mac pro. Where can you even get them?

product26

Cancelled
May 30, 2005
Can you even use grommets with the mac pro bay sleeves? I know from my own experience that grommeted HDDs are almost silent in comparison, but did not know you could use them on a mac pro. Where can you even get them?

you can use grommets, but they need to be very thin. Otherwise the drive will hang too low and will not line up properly with the connections inside.

Houston

macrumors regular
Jul 23, 2002
The Raptors are very quiet. I can't even hear them. I've never heard a fan go on, so they must not create too much heat. I couldn't be more pleased.

synth3tik

macrumors 68040
Oct 11, 2006
Minneapolis, MN
The Raptors are very quiet. I can't even hear them. I've never heard a fan go on, so they must not create too much heat. I couldn't be more pleased.

unless my office is ultra quite. I would have to disagree, when I first installed my Raptor, I could have sworn that the drive was bad, as It was really load. Before my Mac Pro how ever I had a Quicksilver that was rather noisy so dealing with a Mac Pro is very strange to me. Being able to hear the drives spin up with out having fan noise covering the room.

The drive is not bad at all, but I did notice a difference between it and my 7.2k

Rad

macrumors regular
Aug 8, 2006
Raptor X RAID 0

I boot off a pair of internal Raptor X 150 GB drives in a RAID 0. Fantastic performance. Minimal noise. Perfect reliability. Earlier used two WD RE2 5000 GB drives in a RAID 0 array and it too was very responsive. Either way, using a RAID 0 TREMENDOUSLY improved overall responsiveness. Since RAID 0 inherently is a little risky, I have SuperDuper set up to mirror the start RAID every night to another non-RAID partition - which helps, since prior Apple firware upgrades cannot boot from a RAID startup disk when updating.:) :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.