FASTEST Way to Fold on an Intel Mac?

Discussion in 'Distributed Computing' started by Littleodie914, Mar 25, 2007.

1. Littleodie914 macrumors 68000

Littleodie914

Howdy guys, I decided to get back into folding on my Macbook, and I'm wondering which way is fastest. Here're the options I'm considering:

1) GPU client running under bootcamp (GMA 950... good/bad idea?)
    2) Intel Mac console version using InCrease
    2.5) When using InCrease, should I use the default (2) processors, or 4? What kind of difference does that make anyway?
    3) Running both the CPU and GPU client simultaneously under windows. I assume they run independently of each other?

Thanks! Here to join the folding army :cool:

2. crazzyeddie macrumors 68030

crazzyeddie

I would think an OS X client would be the best, and a non-graphical client at the least, but I'm not an expert.

They did just realease the command-line client with a GUI frontend for turning it on and off, but I have experienced problems with it not wanting to stay off...

3. Dreadnought macrumors 68020

Dreadnought

I you have 4 cores, use all for of them, if you have only one proc (with 2 cores) then use only two. Don't use the graphical client, it slows down a little bit... Also I don't think it can handle multiple cores.

4. crazzyeddie macrumors 68030

crazzyeddie

Which app are you talking about? All the Intel F@H clients launch 4 threads, which mean they would automatically take advantage of 2 or 4 cores, unless I'm missing something....

5. Dreadnought macrumors 68020

Dreadnought

I have a G5, so no Intel, can't speak for an Intel machine, just answering his question. Because a Macbook has 2 cores, it's best to work with two instances of folding, not 4. You can do that, but it goes slower and you might not finish a WU within its deadline.

6. thesnowman16 macrumors member

thesnowman16

Ok time for a really noob question, what is folding? :confused:

7. crazzyeddie macrumors 68030

crazzyeddie

Folding@Home

All the Intel clients spawn 4 instances, regardless of how many CPUs you have, as far as I know anyway. This may be a change that they made to optimize it for the Intel machines.