Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pedz

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 2, 2007
I stream my movies over the network. I have a gigabit wired network (i know atv is on 100 meg) so there is no bandwidth problem there.

Just curious how well others have been able to fast forward and rewind during movies?

When I first start a movie I find it to be almost impossible, but it gets a bit better. I would assume the atv would be loading the whole movie onto the unit while I am watching so that soon enough I should get uninterupted performance. That never seems to happen though.

No matter how long I wait when I fast forward (especially at the fastest speed) it will stop at some point to cache (or do something). then I have to wait a moment, and try again.

Rewind is much worse, most of the time it doesn't rewind at all or goes extremely slow.

This isn't a huge issue as I usually watch a movie all the way through and don't jump around, but sometimes it is a pain.

Is this just how it works or is this unique to me?

thanks for any help you can give.
peter

MikieMikie

macrumors 6502a
Aug 7, 2007
Newton, MA
I have had varying success rewinding & ff on an "N" network, with nothing else going on to eat bandwidth.

I find that if I hold down the back button, the :apple:TV shifts into a different mode. Try tapping the back once, holding down the back, and double-tapping the back.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.