FastMac 1.4 GHz G4 Upgrade: Forget all you've read about CP...

Discussion in 'MacBytes.com News Discussion' started by MacBytes, Oct 5, 2005.

1. macrumors bot

2. macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

Patmian212 needs to look at this article. I just happen to have one of those in my Quicksilver. INteresting article and a good read for those thinking of getting a lil more from their machine.

3. macrumors 68040

mduser63

Interesting article. We've got a 400 MHz G4 that my brother uses as his main computer. We've been thinking of getting a Mac mini to replace it, but it already has 1 GB of RAM and a 100 GB HD, so a CPU upgrade might be more appropriate than replacing it altogether.

4. macrumors 603

solvs

PM him (or her).

And yeah, sometimes it's better still to upgrade than buy new. A lot more expansion, ability to add dual CPUs, extra drives, more RAM. However, for the cost of new drives, more RAM, new video card, and a good CPU if you haven't upgraded any of those things, yo umay as well get a G5. Not for everyone, but still a viable option for some.

5. macrumors 68000

slipper

great unbiased article. lots of info.

6. Moderator emeritus

I'm still wondering whether there ever will be a useful and realistic processor upgrade option for my dual G4 1.42.

7. macrumors regular

Paul O'Keefe

A few months ago we got the Sonnet 1.4 GHz upgrade card for the Quicksilver 733 MHz PowerMac that I use. Good stuff. I also switched to OS X from OS 9 at the same time. Because OS X's GUI used alot more processing power I didn't notice a large jump in "snappiness".

But the upgrade definitely helps in processor instensive situations.

8. macrumors 68040

shamino

Well, the fastest they're going to possibly go will be to 1.7GHz, since that's the fastest G4 chips made (as far as I know.) It would have to be pretty inexpensive to be worth installing, since we're talking about only a 20% speedup.

And, a lot of these upgrades are using PPC 74xx chips, not 745x chips, which means you lose the L3 cache, which will slow things down quite a bit compared to what Apple gave you originally.

Yeah, I've been wondering the same thing about whether to upgrade my dual 1GHz QuickSilver-2002. So far, the only upgrades that work in in use 74xx chips, and there's no way I'm giving up my L3 cache.

EDIT: I just did some browsing and 1.8GHz upgrades are available, but they're not 745x chips and not available for dual-CPU configurations. The fastest 745x upgrade I saw was 1.5GHz, and the fastest dual-CPU upgrade I saw was 1.267GHz (and not a 745x).

9. macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

I dont think the G4 is going much further then 1.7 or 1.8 so i would say no but the great thing is even though that thing is years old its still current because Motoscale never went anywhere.