Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
That's like cutting the taste out of food! :eek:

Just be aware of what you eat. Some people just eat without thinking about whether the food they eat has any nutritional value. A lot of what you drink is just sugar and water, and a lot of what you eat doesn't exist in nature. Just begin to think about it before you take your first bite, and I promise you that the next time you jump into a pool, you won't make such a big splash. Or worst comes to worse, you don't lose weight but you're healthier anyway.

celebrian23

macrumors 65816
Mar 12, 2006
Under the sun
My plan:
1.only drink water, and a sufficient amount. I've cut out most other beverages, but I could definnitely increase my intake of water.

2.30 minutes of aerobic exercise.

3.Don't eat more than I need- I tend to eat when I'm not hungry just by habit.

I tihnk this is a reasonable plan- not too extreme, but puts me on the right track

iAlan

macrumors 65816
Dec 11, 2002
Well, I hate to admit it but here goes...

I am a 38 year old male, about 180cm tall (around 5'9" acording to my conversion widget) and 26 kg (around 52.320188 pounds, again according to my conversion widget) heavier today than I was 4 years ago when I was looking good and able to fit into fashionable clothes. I am now just on 98 kg (216.05302 ponds, go conversion widget) which in Japan is well above the average, but nowhere near a sumo wrestler thank god. It is important to note i am not Japanee however, just a 12 year resident.

Anyway, I want to get some of that weight off. At my age not sure if I can loose all 26 kg, but as I am approaching 40 I am somewhat concerned about my health - type 3 diabetes, cardio problems, blood pressure, you name it - so i am now joining the 'MR Diet' to see what i can loose in the next 30 days or so - I just hope I can keep myself committed, I don't stick to plans very well!

I will weigh myself later today and post the official starting point and see how i go from there (hopefull down...)

Also, i don't believe I admitted my age on a rumor site whose average age is probably around 25!

itcheroni

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 23, 2005
CA
Abstract said:
Doesn't sound too heavy to me, unless you're like 5'5" or something.

Dude, you hit the nail right on the head. That's exactly how tall I am.

2nyRiggz said:
Just lifting weight won't get you anywhere dude. You have to mix it up a bit and eat right(the key right there)....Walking/running is an excellent fat burner.

I eat very, very well in terms of getting nutrition and stuff because I love all foods, and have a really varied diet. The only problem is I eat a lot of crap too especially when I have der munchies. And when I do have them, I usually eat until I pass out, usually waking up the next morning feeling incredibly full and asking myself, how full must I have been when I feel asleep?

mark!

macrumors 65816
Feb 4, 2006
America
Abstract said:
That's like cutting the taste out of food! :eek:

Just be aware of what you eat. Some people just eat without thinking about whether the food they eat has any nutritional value. A lot of what you drink is just sugar and water, and a lot of what you eat doesn't exist in nature. Just begin to think about it before you take your first bite, and I promise you that the next time you jump into a pool, you won't make such a big splash. Or worst comes to worse, you don't lose weight but you're healthier anyway.

i hope you werent talking about cutting the taste out of food about organic stuff. haha.

WE CANT HAVE ARTIFICIAL FLAVORS.

DOWN WITH ARTIFICIAL FLAVORS!!!!!!!

BOOOOOOO!!!!!!

water+tofu+other organic yummyness.

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
itcheroni said:
Dude, you hit the nail right on the head. That's exactly how tall I am.

OH SNAP!

Um......exercise, man. Pretend you're chasing a runaway Krispy Kreme doughnut, even if it means you're halucinating and going a bit sugar-deprived. It happens even to people that are/appear fit. ;)

And don't worry, we'll keep you motivated.

I think it's a good idea for people to post a photo with their shirt off now, and another photo 1 month from now. I know it would seem embarrassing unless your name is scem0 or several others from that MR Members thread :p, but I don't believe people here will care as much as you think. You're more self-conscious than others are critical. That's almost always the case. You see bad things about yourself that nobody else sees, or ones that most people don't think are as bad as you think.

And if the answer is "NO WAY!", then I guess your stats (gender, age, height, weight) would suffice. Physical image is more of a motivator than just pure numbers, though. If you only lost 5 kg, but was lean as a motherf***er, I'm sure you'd be happy anyway. ;)

Deje los juegos comenzar, bitchez. :cool:

After G

macrumors 68000
Aug 27, 2003
California
I'll join in. I have horrible eating habits.

As of now I'm eating 3 poor boy sandwiches (one per meal), a half-gallon of water, and a half-gallon of a random sugary drink (right now powerade) per day.

itcheroni

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 23, 2005
CA
Thanks for the words of encouragement! Actually, I am only doing this for appearance. In my opinion, I'm in great shape and uber healthy. I just have no job and two months till I'm off to law school so I thought I'd try and get my body into the best shape I can when I have a lot of time and energy.

And I've got no sense of modesty at all(I'd have no problems walking around naked in front of all you people ;) ), I've just worried about anonymity! I think I've been a little too honest about myself on this board and don't want it to bite me in the butt when I run for congress when I'm 60! :eek:

The only challenge is that I'm trying to lose overall weight while gaining muscle mass. I've lost 20 lbs in the past without even knowing it. I was dating this vegan chick, so I tried being vegan for a few months (in France) and lost a ton of weight. This is probably the first time that I've consciously tried to lose weight.

njmac

macrumors 68000
Jan 6, 2004
I'd like to join in too. I need to lose a lot of weight.
my stats: Female, 5'5", age 34, weight - much to much to say or post a picture.

I'd like to lose about 1.5 - 2 pounds a week.
Walk outside or on treadmill for 1 hour every day.
Drink only water, seltzer, herbal tea.
No sugar.
Low Carb
Low Fat
Lots of Veggies
Chicken, Fish, a little bit of meat.

devilot

Moderator emeritus
May 1, 2005
Abstract said:
Deje los juegos comenzar, bitchez. :cool:
That's awesome. Thanks for posting that :D And good luck to those of you ambitious/ smart enough to attempt to start a healthier lifestyle... and for making me feel guilty.

floriflee

macrumors 68030
Dec 21, 2004
Okay, keeping with the plan. I just did 45 mins of yoga and had a bowl of Honey Nut Cheerios/Raisin Bran cereal with rice milk.

Abstract said:
Mis olores del gato tienen gusto de la calabaza, bitchez.

:D :D My scents of the cat smells like the taste of a pumpkin... *chuckles* The translator is great!

itcheroni

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 23, 2005
CA
Just got back from the gym. I worked out my biceps and did the machine that looks like you're cross country skiing for 30 minutes. Currently 170.5 lbs.

amateurmacfreak

macrumors 6502a
Sep 8, 2005
Oh snap. I haven't done anything. :eek:
Yet! :p *rolls eyes at self*
Actually I ate tofu and rice and pinto beans and veggies for lunch.Yay for me. :D :eek:

itcheroni

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 23, 2005
CA
45 minutes of that ski machine thing and 125 inclined sit-ups (5 sets of 25) and the scale said 171.5 lbs today.

I think I'm just going to take it easy tomorrow and work on my tan at the beach.

hmmm, am I going to have to keep tabs on you guys? Actually, I don't want to be a bother. I'll just tempt you with my "before" shirtless pic. If you guys just do something active today, I'll post it up tonight. Look at the voyeur inside you.

Daveway

macrumors 68040
Jul 10, 2004
New Orleans / Lafayette, La
I'm in! I lost about 15lbs at the beginning of the year, now over the summer I'm going to try and swallow up another 25lbs.
-M, 5'11, 195, BMI=27.2

I'll be doing the diet said before and will be doing my "midnight run". Currently I'm suffering from bad farmer's tan, so today I spent exactly 2 Hours tanning by the pool.

Good Luck Everyone!

eva01

macrumors 601
Feb 22, 2005
Gah! Plymouth
If this makes anyone feel better

Try to go on a diet like what i am on.

I am trying to gain weight and since starting my forced diet i have lost 6 pounds in two weeks. From 144 to 138

No dairy, no natural or artificial flavorings, no alcohol, no cheese, no MSG, no nitrites, no red wine, no citrus, no chocolate, no caffeine, no artificial sweetener.

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
itcheroni said:
45 minutes of that ski machine thing and 125 inclined sit-ups (5 sets of 25)

I think I'm just going to take it easy tomorrow and work on my tan at the beach.

Good for you. Keep it up.

hmmm, am I going to have to keep tabs on you guys? Actually, I don't want to be a bother. I'll just tempt you with my "before" shirtless pic. If you guys just do something active today, I'll post it up tonight. Look at the voyeur inside you.

Cool!! I wanna see some nipple action, even if it looks like you have boobs. ;)

eva01 said:
No dairy, no natural or artificial flavorings, no alcohol, no cheese, no MSG, no nitrites, no red wine, no citrus, no chocolate, no caffeine, no artificial sweetener.

Why not? Some of those things are good.

And I've also been trying to gain weight. I was 76 kg (168 lbs?), and now I'm around 71-72 kg (156 lbs). I lost 2 kg because of a throat infection, but the other 3-4 kg was lost because I became a lot more hardcore with the running.

Makosuke

macrumors 604
Aug 15, 2001
The Cool Part of CA, USA
Don't usually frequent this section of the forum, but what the heck, since I've spent the entire year essentially counting every single calorie I took in--I have the charts to prove it. ('course, I'm trying for MORE, not less, but that's beside the point.)

Remember to eat good. Eating healthy, and organic for that matter, does NOT mean eating lame. My wife cooks all manner of tasty variety--blueberry pancakes, sushi, sauteed fish, various curries, the occasional fliet mignon, enchaladas, various spaghettis, all manner of lovely cheese, of course the occasional dessert (pie... mmm). Almost every bit of it organic or free-range and locally grown, which cuts down on oddball chemicals, and the lack of high fructose corn syrup and processed fats keeps the calories relatively in check and improves the flavor.

Just remember to keep a good balance, and don't stuff your face--stop a bit before you feel full and take a break--your stomach will usually "catch up" and realize that you really are satisfied. Just takes a few minutes, and you can always top off it if turns out you actually are still hungry. I found out this worked really well for stemming my calorie intake last year--gradually lost weight without the slightest bit of "pain".

Also, I found going with a really nice, rich bite of chocolate instead of, say, a whole butterfinger bar worked for dessert--it's easier to savor, and in a way more satisfying with a fraction of the calories.

Me, I'll join in, except I'm going to try to use the motivation to absorb all that fat you folk are trying to drop--I would give anything to be physically able to stuff my face right now. If I can gain 10 pounds in the next month, I'll be dancin' happy. So far, I'm sort of stuck; I was down to a frightening 120 pounds (I'm 5' 10" and male--looked downright scary), but now am hovering around 128, which is ALMOST not underweight for my height.

So, my motivational point here is, burn that unhealthy fat and do your body good, but call it a day when you get into a reasonable range for what feels good--don't go overboard! Starving and wasting away is NOT fun.

(For reference, I'm clinically anorexic, but not in the traditional sense--something has been drastically wrong with my appetite and stomach for several months now and a steady strem of doctors has been unable to figure it out or help.)

wrc fan

macrumors 65816
Since I somewhat consciously started trying to lose weight I've managed to lose 60lbs (it's been about 10 months). Go me! :D Unfortunately I still have another 40lbs to go before I'm at my ideal weight. Yes, that means I was 100lbs overweight at one point. :eek: This next month is going to be a real test as I'll be on holiday in Germany, Prague, and Austria, so I'll probably end up eating unhealthly and drinking lots of beer. If by the end of summer I've lost 10lbs I'll be happy.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.