FAT16 (FAT) vs. FAT32

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by roland.g, Jan 25, 2007.

1. roland.g macrumors 603

roland.g

1. Is it possible to format a SD card on a Mac in FAT16 format?

2. More importantly I guess, will it tell me if the SD card is in FAT16 vs. FAT32 format in the get info screen?

background. I bought an Oregon Scientific ATC-2K Helmet Cam & SanDisk Ultra II 2GB SD card for it. According to the instructions, I have to format it in FAT16 for the SD card to work at 30FPS rather than 15. (which i don't get at all).

They said that by putting the card in the camera and connecting the usb to the computer will automatically format it at FAT16 but the instructions say to go in a format it. Of course the instructions are for Windows.

2. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

You can certainly format it with Disk Utility for FAT but which variety it chooses, I'd imagine depends on the size of the device, since it only says MS-DOS Format.

3. shirohagen macrumors newbie

No, Disk Utility's 'MS-DOS' format isn't what a lot of obscure uses need. I have a GP2X, and for emulation and homebrew I have to format my SD cards using my digital camera, or Virtual PC. That's FAT16 and I think Disk utility uses FAT32

It's a bit rubbish, seeing as the Mac is so superior in most departments, a simple extra choice for formatting wouldn't go astray in Disk Utility, just for compatibility...

...I've never found a simple way of formatting SD cards as FAT16 on the Mac.

®

4. tsice19 macrumors 6502a

tsice19

If you can get access to a Windows PC, just do it there. While the Mac might not be able to format in Fat16, it surely should be able to read it.

5. shirohagen macrumors newbie

Yeah, once it is formatted as FAT16, the Mac can read and write to it no problem, it just can't set it up like that in the first place. Unless you use the Terminal I think, but I'd rather steer clear of that...

®

6. neonblue2 macrumors 6502a

Let's say your disk is called "Lenny"...

Code:
    diskutil partitionDisk /Volumes/Lenny 1 MBRFormat "MS-DOS FAT16" "Lenny" 100%

7. ChrisA macrumors G4

The "newfs_msdos" command has an option where you can specify the FAT type as either 12, 16 or 32.

the newfs_msdos program ships with all Macs as part of Mac OS X.

For more details type "man newfs_msdos" in the termial

8. mrs.bass macrumors newbie

Help! Cannot Reformat Sd Card!

HELP! I NEED TO REFORMAT MY SD CARD FROM FAT16 TO FAT32.
    I tried to do it in Terminal and Disk Utility, but won't work.

attached is a picture, hope it will help.

Attached Files: