FAT32 in OS X

Discussion in 'Mac Help/Tips' started by steeleclipse, Mar 8, 2003.

1. steeleclipse macrumors 6502

Could someone please tell me how to format a firewire hard drive with FAT32 in OS X? I need to make this drive usable by windoze

I have already tried the special menu in classic mode, but to no avail... I guess I will need some sort of app that lets me do it

This is very important... PLEASE HELP! :D

2. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

Why don't you just plug it into your windows machine and use disk management to reformat it as FAT32?

3. steeleclipse thread starter macrumors 6502

I just did, and XP will only let me format 32gb partitions. I need the whole space... The reason i tried fat32 is because I kept getting error messages wwhen i tried to pass files over my home network (from my mac to my pc)

I have to transfer 35 gigabytes from my mac to a windoze compatible firewire hardrive... i just keep getting error messages after several files are passed.

Is there a better way to transfer all this info to a firewire drive that is comaptible with windoze xp???

4. iJon macrumors 604

iJon

try ntfs, fat32 is old school and there is no need for it. format it to ntfs. if that doesnt work buy MacDrive 5. I use macdrive and swap hard drives and m y ipod between my mac and pc all the time, it is a great piece of software. and whats up with your stupid signature, anti mac or something.

iJon

5. steeleclipse thread starter macrumors 6502

I FIGURED IT OUT!!!!!

FAT32 and NFTS doesnt support puctuation in file names (? etc)

When i change it, it works! thanks guys

6. steeleclipse thread starter macrumors 6502

Does anybody know any other characters besides "?" That fat32 and nfts do not support???

7. janey macrumors 603

janey

Re: FAT32 in OS X

Like everyone said, use NTFS...I like it better than FAT32 because it supports a lot more things and is more easier to deal with.
    :eek: not to be rude or anything but what is with your sig?
    i think ? and | might not be supported. but i dunno, i never had problems with that kind of thing.

8. steeleclipse thread starter macrumors 6502

Whats wrong with my sig???

I am only telling the truth.. ask anybody with an MDD and 10.2.4, and they will tell you the same thing :D

9. janey macrumors 603

janey

i know but to hear anything like that from a mac user, even if 10.2.4 is bad is...well...:D

10. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

I agree, 10.2.4 sucked, it caused me nothing but problems, so much so I reformatted and installed 10.2.3, I will never again update as soon as another one is available, I'll wait some time and check out peoples thoughts on it first.

edit: BTW, I'm running a QuickSilver, not an MDD.

11. janey macrumors 603

janey

it's worse on an MDD. 10.2.4 on a quicksilver ain't that bad.

12. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

It was for me, my mac kept on randomly freezing up, I could ssh to it from my PC and it was fine, but on the mac itself the whole thing had frozen up, it was crap. Think I'll stick with 10.2.3 until I know of a good working update.

13. steeleclipse thread starter macrumors 6502

Well I guess we agree... 10.2.4 sucked

Although Mac is the superior platform (HANDS DOWN), sometimes there IS problems. Picture your favorite sports team... If they have a crappy game, and a friend asks how they did, you would say they sucked that game... see what i am getting at??? :D

14. steeleclipse thread starter macrumors 6502

That is DEFINITELY gonna be my course of action from now on....

15. iJon macrumors 604

iJon

i dont know what all the huss and fuss is about. I have been using 10.2.4 on about 4 mdd's and i have never had any problems. what kind of problems have you guys been having?

iJon

16. icetraxxg5 macrumors 6502

Why not format the hard drive as Macintosh PC Exchange (MS-DOS)?

Chris

17. steeleclipse thread starter macrumors 6502

Clock resets, several kernel panics, applications ceasing to function, etc. etc. etc. 10.2.4 was made for MacWorld for the bluetooth support, and we have felt the wrath of this hurried mistake :D

18. steeleclipse thread starter macrumors 6502

19. Wes macrumors 68020

Wes

Well I have a MDD and nothing happened much, one kernel panic since. My major problem was that the second I installed 10.2.4 my dsl stopped working. Contacted my modem company and they showed an eagerness to fix the problem and while Apple didn't care, they had a fix out in 2 days.

20. iJon macrumors 604

iJon

hmm sounds interesting. sounds like more like your machine is messed up then mdd's in general. i have worked on tons of new and old mdd's with 10.2.4 and i havent experienced anything. sorry for your bad luck. i hope a fix comes out for it for you.

iJon

21. steeleclipse thread starter macrumors 6502

Do not feel sorry for me, kind sir

I am reinstalled 10.2.1 and everything is working like a charm... I missed my Mac :D

22. Jaykay macrumors 6502a

Jaykay

Nope none of them on my mdd, i really do feel for you (10.0 was soooo bad - it even hurts me to think about it...).

But it also can never be refered to as the devil (no apple product ever can).

Also, i dont think Saddam is the devil, theres a good few people out there worse than him - hes just famous :))

23. MacBandit macrumors 604

MacBandit

Huh? I have a MDD I ordered it the day they announced them. I have 10.2.4 on it and I can honestly say I don't see a difference between it in 10.2.3. Am I supposed to be having problems?

Besides how can an inanimate object be Satan? It could be the work of Satan but it can't actually be him.