Fat32 Vs Ntfs

Discussion in 'macOS' started by mith, Nov 11, 2006.

1. mith macrumors regular

i was just wondering .....windows ..they say to use NTFS because is more secure.....so y is the mac os formatted as FAT32 if NTFS is more secure.

2. iMeowbot macrumors G3

iMeowbot

The native Mac OS format is HFS+, which is roughly comparable in features to NTFS. FAT disks can also be read and written, but that's intended for exchange between operating systems.

3. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

4. mith thread starter macrumors regular

5. SiliconAddict macrumors 603

SiliconAddict

The biggest deal about NTFS isn't security, even though that is a large part of it. Its the fact that its a journaled file system and that there is a redundancy in the file system itself that makes it very fault tolerant. IMHO use FAT32 only if you absolutely have to. I currently use macdrive in my Windows XP partition to read the OS X partition and leave all my data files on the OS X side of things while still befittingly from NTFS in Windows.
    I'm really kind of sad that Apple hasn't taken NTFS support beyond the ability to read. And I hope that the ability to write will show up in Leopard as a last minute feature.

6. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Yes...now that Linux is finally making headway in write NTFS support, I hope so also....