Father's Day 2006!

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Doctor Q, Jun 17, 2006.

1. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

[​IMG]

I like being a dad more than anything. I've already been told that I'm going to be taken somewhere for Father's Day, but I don't know where it will be. I hope they plan to bring me back again!

Happy Father's Day to all you fathers, anybody who is an "expectant father", and everyone who has or ever had a father. (Did I leave anyone out?)

Father's Day Trivia

2. kretzy macrumors 604

kretzy

3. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

Congrats to you as well Dr. Q.

P.S. I hope that they do bring you back! ;)

4. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

It's in September here, but June in the US etc.

5. kretzy macrumors 604

kretzy

Oh ok, I didn't know that. :eek:

Happy Father's day to all the MR dads! :)

6. eva01 macrumors 601

eva01

Is my father even alive still?

I have no idea, nor do i have any inclination to care.

But happy father's day nonetheless to you worthy fathers, that don't ditch the family, divorce, due drugs, sell drugs, run away from your problems, etc. etc.

7. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

Happy Fathers Day to all!

Though it is hard on me, being now a single Gay male in the state of Virginia. I would love nothing more than to be a role model for a son or daughter.

I do relish in my job seeing dads and their sons and daughters being close and all. My Dad was brought up in a time that there was a distance after a certain age.

I helped a Dad and his son today (the son was maybe 12yo) in selecting the son's first real camera. After the son made his choice (the Dad made sure that his son had total control on the purchase), the Dad gave a peck on the head of his son on the son's final choice, and his son gave his Dad a big bear hug. I was ready to break down and cry. :eek: :)

Oh, have the times have changed! :)

8. AvSRoCkCO1067 macrumors 65816

AvSRoCkCO1067

Yup, picked up an XBOX 360 for my dad for Father's Day this year...

...somewhat depressing, in that I didn't get it for myself (and thus it won't be going to college with me) - but he loves it! :)

9. njmac macrumors 68000

njmac

Happy Fathers Day! :)

I will be getting up in the morning with the kids, making my husband waffles and coffee. We are going to my parents for a BBQ and hopefully it will be a fun relaxing day for him.

10. UKnjb macrumors 6502a

UKnjb

Happy Fathers' Day indeed to all fathers.

I always thought that father's day should be 9 months before mother's day. :)

11. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    Happy Father's Day to all the MR fathers and fathers-to-be

Gosh that feels odd since I haven't wished it to anyone in person for the better part of 20 years! :eek:

12. Queso macrumors G4

Thanks for this thread. Just remembered to call my Dad :)

13. billyboy macrumors 65816

billyboy

Isnt it Father's Day every day? Having your ironing done, food brought to you while watching the game, lots of u know what when you want, the wife driving the kids to various practice and clubs and telling them the birds and the bees and how to dress and ... And when the kids do well, saying That's my boy/girl, while mum organises everything still.

But Dads are great, especially when they let you stay up late to watch the game, take you to the game, buy you beer.

14. count chocula macrumors 6502a

count chocula

15. mgargan1 macrumors 65816

mgargan1

My dad just passed away on May 10th. He was one of my best friends, and i know he's with me somewhere. I saw this at post secret and a tear came down my face, cause it's so true. (except for I'm a guy and 22)

He'll always be my hero

Attached Files:

16. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

^Sorry to hear about your dad, he lives on through you.....Happy Fathers day to all MR fathers and my pops!

Bless

17. HughJ macrumors regular

I'm really chuffed, i got a card from my son, last year i didnt get one (he's now 5yrs old) i split from his mother three years ago, since then she has a new partner and she seems hell bent on trying to wipe me out of his life.

so his card is taking pride of place :D

18. Tanglewood macrumors 6502a

Tanglewood

Happy Father's Day

[​IMG]

My dad and me. Circa. 1990.

19. Doctor Q thread starter Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

I'm back from the adventure I was taken on for Father's Day (without me knowing in advance where we were going). It was The Japanese Garden in Van Nuys, part of the San Fernando Valley in Los Angeles.

It's a great garden, and ranked among the Top 10 Japanese Gardens in the United States. It has both dry (gravel and rock) and wet (pond, stream, waterfall) areas, plus a teahouse and some cool bridges. One bridge is zig-zagged because evil spirits go in straight lines and can't follow you as you turn the corners.

I admit it's a bit odd, but we visited many gardens in Japan last year, but had never been to this one at home!

If you aren't in the area to go see it in person, you can settle for an online tour instead:

20. Mammoth macrumors 6502a

Mammoth

Yay for my dad, who decided to go to Victoria with my mom this weekend. (Keep in mind I'm 13..)

21. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

As one of the fathers here, I say "thank you" to everyone that wished us dads a Happy Fathers' Day.

I loved mine. My kids are all grown; they got me a Borders gift card, an iTMS gift card, and a hammock.

Now I gotta get a Shuttle or something so I can read while listening to music in my hammock. :)

They also took me out to dinner.

But the best part of being a dad right now is watching my oldest son be a dad. He's got the world's cutest, smartest 11-month-old, and I love seeing him take care of her and play with her, because he's such a good dad. That makes me very happy.

And my wife and I get to babysit the little pooper often. Kid's a riot. She is so much fun.

22. Felldownthewell macrumors 65816

Felldownthewell

My dad is in Amsterdam this fine Sunday, so he couldn't celebrate with us. We fly out to join him tommorow. We celebrated by taking my Grandfather who is rather (very) ill deli food (reubens, chicken liver...we are so jewish :D ). It was fun!

23. maestro55 macrumors 68030

maestro55

My wonderful dad and I (I have always been much much much closer to my father than my real mom, and I am a little bit closer to my dad than my stepmom) celebrated our days on the same day. Today being my 18th Birthday. My stepmom grilled some hamburgers and sausage, and made some great potatoes. She also got up early this morning to bake (from scratch) a spiced rum cake (a favorite of both my dad and I) and a chocolate cake for those who don't care for the spiced rum cake.

As for my dads gifts, he got a Fender Guitar and mini amp, and XM satellite radio receiver and I think like a year or something subscription, also some other miscellaneous items. This evening him and my stepmom took a nice long ride on the Vulcans (motorcycle for those who don't know, it is a Kawasaki bike they each have one). So I think my dad had a nice day, and I hope so.

24. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

My Dad passed away back in '92, so today was spent with my sister at the old family home. So I got to spend some time with wonderful memories of my and his past.

I am blessed though that I had much more time with my Dad than many others have had. Father's Day gives a day to remind myself of good times, and bad. But also to try to live up to the lessons he taught me.

Happy Father's Day Dad, keep smiling down on me.

25. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

My son made me a great fry-up this morning for breakfast, and gave me a couple of books. My daughter gave me a vintage Apple-logo laptop carrying bag (circa Powerbook 140!) she found at a garage sale. :)

My Mom and Dad are on vacation somewhere in Germany, so I'll wish them Happy Birthday and Happy Fathers Day when they get back.