Faulty AA batteries?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by dllavaneras, Feb 15, 2007.

1. dllavaneras macrumors 68000

dllavaneras

One of my set of AA batteries for my camera were worn out, so I got a new set (GP 2300 Ni-MH). I started to charge them (with a GP charger) and instead of the led being permanently on until the batteries were charged, it started to pulse on-off-on-off. I tried putting them in my camera and they appeared to be thicker, and the camera wouldn't start. I used the old ones, and my cam worked fine. What are the odds of the batteries being faulty? I've never heard of that before :confused:

BTW, the set came with 2 smaller AAA batteries that work like a charm

2. iGav macrumors G3

Usually when a chargers light flashes (though it depends on the manufacturer I'm afraid), that indicates that it's trickling. e.g. the batteries are fully charged, and it's just maintaining them at their peak level (rechargable batteries discharge as soon as they're recharged).

Did the charger come with the batteries? if not were your previous batteries Ni-Cads?

If the latter, it's possible that your charger cannot recharge Ni-MH cells.

Just noticed you said the AAA's work fine, so that maybe rules out the Ni-MH incompatibility argument.

Could be faulty... it happens. Take them back, explain the problems and get a replacement.

3. dllavaneras thread starter macrumors 68000

dllavaneras

I'm sure my charger can handle Ni-MH, as all my AA's are of that type. And if the batteries are fully charged, the light goes off, it doesn't pulse.

And I still don't get why they're thicker...

4. iGav macrumors G3

Righty oh, I suspect it's a problem with the batteries then, the flashing light is possibly a warning that it's not charging. What does the chargers instructions say about flashing lights?

I've noticed there's a difference in the size of cells depending on who manufacturs them. Is the difference really that noticable? or are they just slightly thicker?

If the charger is working on the other batteries, then it's almost certainly the AA's that are causing the problems.

I'd just take them back (with the charger just incase that want a demo) explain what the problem is, and that the other batteries work just dandy.

But yes... you do get faulty batteries, I used stumble upon the odd one here and there when I used to race RC cars. Pain in the arse.