Faulty Hard Drive

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by P-Worm, Oct 9, 2006.

1. P-Worm macrumors 68020

P-Worm

I have an external Maxtor 80GB hard drive that won't show up on the desktop anymore. One day it just stopped. I went to Disk utility and it can recognize the drive, but says it needs to be repaired (and in trying to do so, it gets hung up and produces and error).

Saving the drive isn't that important to me, but I have some files on there that I really want back. Is there anything I can do?

P-Worm

2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

I think it probably needs to be reformatted but in the meantime, try using another machine to get your files back. Different machines have different amounts of luck with problematic equipment such as this. :)

3. corywoolf macrumors 65816

corywoolf

I had the same thing happen to me about a month and a half ago. It just happened to me again today. I had a friend with a PowerMac G4 put it in his computer and use Disk Warrior to recover most of the files off of it. Any files that rely on other files to function probably wont work right after the recovery. I had a ton of After Effects files that were all corrupted and lost. But I got all my music and photos back, even some movies. Good luck.

4. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Do the drive and enclosure support SMART? What is the SMART status? Also can the drive be installed in any other fashion (to rule out that the enclosure is not at fault)?

5. P-Worm thread starter macrumors 68020

P-Worm

Well, I found a little piece of software that lets you pry in deeper and I discovered that what I needed wasn't there in the first place (I must have put it somewhere else). So it looks like it will be fine to format.

P-Worm