Faulty internal thermometer?

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by LimeLite, Aug 30, 2003.

1. LimeLite macrumors 6502a

LimeLite

My friend has a Dual 1.25GHz G4 (MDD of course.) I helped him set it up and everything, so I know the computer was set up right. But all of a sudden today it started shutting itself off. Now, my theory was that it was overheating, and went we pointed a fan at it, it worked fine. Then, on a hunch, I downloaded Temperature Monitor to find out just how hot it was getting. Well, it's staying close to 136.5 degrees faranheit. This seemed kind of high to me, so I checked the spec sheet for a G4, and it says that the operational temp shouldn't get higher than 95 degrees. When I put my hand around the system, it doesn't feel that hot, which is making me wonder if it really is that hot, or if it's an internal thermometer problem which is telling the computer it's too hot even if it's not. Any way to check that without bringing it in?

(The only new element added recently was a second studio display, through the Apple DVI-ADC connector.)

2. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Motorola stopped supporting the TAU (thermal assist unit) quite awhile ago, the instruction and/or circuit may still be there.

But Motorola stopped making any claim that it's the least bit accurate, they claim it may read 35-55°F low on a 7455.

---

And if it's a 20LCD you may want to turn off the power button in the prefs -- since the air/light in the room will activate the heat sensitive button.