Faulty PowerBook Keyboad

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by witness, May 1, 2005.

1. witness macrumors 6502

So I bought my first PowerBook today. I made a special trip into London to pick it up.

But when I got home, to my dismay, it has a faulty keyboard! The I key is different to all the rest. It kind of works, but it doesn’t go down when pressed like the other keys. :mad:

Has anyone else had this problem? Is there a way to fix it without making a trip back into London?

2. macorama macrumors regular

Worth noting that keyboard replacement on the current Powerbooks is much more difficult than on some earlier models, so don't try it yourself!

Have you tried calling Apple yet?

3. witness thread starter macrumors 6502

I only just got it home a couple of hours ago, I'll try them tomorrow probably. I'll just be really annoyed if I have to make a trip into London again becuase of this. I guess that I should have unwraped it and checked it for faults in the store :(

4. wide macrumors 6502a

try using it for a few hours or a day and see if the "I" key fixes itself. you never know, it might just need some breaking in

5. witness thread starter macrumors 6502

I was hoping that using it might fix it (I'm typing the post with it now), but it doesn't seem to be getting better. Also when the keyboard backlight turns on in the dark, the same key is dimmer than the others.

I had a Dell laptop where the keys would come off if you pulled them in the correct way, I don't really want to break anything but I was wondering if these keys will come off so that I could see if there is anything obstructing them underneath?

6. witness thread starter macrumors 6502

Well I braved it and took the key off and it turned to be a faulty moulded rubber piece :( so there is not much that I can do about it; it will have to go back to the store :(

I'm surprised that their quality control didn't pick it up.