Fav Rock Vocalist?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by designs216, Jan 26, 2013.

1. macrumors 65816

designs216

To me, there's few in the same league as Geoff Tate. His technical ability, range and operatic voice put him in rarefied air indeed. Thoughts?

2. macrumors 603

mobilehaathi

Hmmmmm, Freddie Mercury.

3. macrumors 68030

Mr. McMac

There's so many it's hard to choose. If I had to pick one I'd say Layne Staley from Alice N Chains. Chris Cornell deserves a mention as well

----------

Another great rock singer

4. macrumors 603

Burton Cummings. Even as a teenager, he had chops.

5. macrumors 68030

Mr. McMac

Yeah he's a great singer. Whatever happened to him? I loved The Guess Who way back when...

6. thread starter macrumors 65816

designs216

Cornell. Awesome range. That voice that just keeps going up and up.

7. macrumors demi-god

Gav2k

Not a rock fan but if it qualifies..

Amy lee
    Chris daughtry

8. macrumors 68030

Mr. McMac

Agreed. He sounds a bit like Paul McCartney (in his young Beatles days) when he pushes his voice hard. Listen to I'm Down (Beatles) and Bleed Together's chorus for example(Soundgarden) They both have a very similar raucous style quality.

9. macrumors 603

Still touring. Occasionally with Randy Bachman as "Bachman and Cummings". They released an album called Jukebox in 2007. I wouldn't call it a great album, too much ego I think. But their reinterpretation of American Women is amazing. There are a couple of other good tunes too.

An interesting compilation is the original version, the Lenny Kravitz version, and then the Jukebox version.

Time to go listen to some Guess Who - it's the weekend, eh?

10. macrumors 68040

tigres

Most Unique. Geddy Lee
    Fav- Robert Plant for range, and David Gilmor one of my favs.

But, I have such a broad range of taste being my age- you'll laugh but I just started appreciating Led Zeppelin this past couple of years. (I am over 40).

11. macrumors 68030

Mr. McMac

I'm a 60 year old rocker who grew up with the greatest rock bands. Getty Lee, Robert Plant, and David Gilmore are favs of mine as well. But it's hard to pick an absolute favorite, don't you agree??

12. macrumors 6502

Good ones mentioned. To add, David Bowie, Peter Steele, Maynard Keenan, Cedric Bixler-Zavala.

13. macrumors newbie

Chris Cornell has my vote

14. macrumors 603

Multiple thumbs up! That is the best part about about rock... we may all have our personal favourites... but I think we can agree that the names that are not on our personal list are also great vocalists. It just this week, today, I would rather listen to .... instead of ....

15. macrumors G3

Huntn

I agree and don't have a single favorite, there are so many distinct voices out there. One of my big complaints from about 1990 on is the tendency for "rock" vocalists to all sound generically alike. They don't have nearly the spectrum that they had in the Golden Age of Rock'n Roll. Admittedly I basically listen to no contemporary "rock"... is there such a thing? ;)

I do like lead vocalists for Queen, The Who, Led Zepp, Steppenwolf, Neal Young, Heart, Eurythmics, Pat Benatar, John Fogerty, Beatles, Rolling Stones, and many more.

16. macrumors 68040

tigres

Absolutely agree. In fact impossible.

17. macrumors 68030

Mr. McMac

Impossible, you hit it right on the head.

18. thread starter macrumors 65816

designs216

What a voice and what a showman. He had fantastic range and who knows what he could have accomplished had he lived. Like John Bonham, Layne Staley, Jim Morrison, Janis Joplin and many others, he was too fast to live...

----------

Although I find Lee's voice quite annoying, I've still got to give Rush great respect. All 3 band members are multi-instrumentalists and are quite technically adept. Lee's lyrics are honest and quite cerebral compared to most in rock.

19. thread starter macrumors 65816

designs216

Led Zeppelin is hard to beat as well. Though each band member was highly talented, the effect of their combined efforts far exceeded the individual members. Plant had amazing talent, a love of the blues and a willingness to experiment. They stand as my fav band of all time and it's easy to see why they are often considered one of the gold standards by which all modern-day bands are measured. Do any of these truly hold a candle?

----------

Man, her voice is haunting. It sends a shiver up my spine.

20. macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Robert Plant and Roger Daltrey are two of my favorites. many others deserve a mention.

21. macrumors demi-god

Shrink

There are more, but Janis Joplin leaps to mind.

Also Jerry Lee Lewis, Screamin' Jay Hawkins, and Dr. John (Mac Rebennack) also pop up.

22. macrumors 68030

bradl

True..

But is it me, or is it funny that most of the mentions here skip an entire decade?

60s are covered. 70s are covered. 80s are completely skipped. 90s are covered. 2000s are covered.

We definitely know what was maligned in rock, though I tend to disagree (diehard That Metal Show fan here).

With that said, let's see here.. Rob Halford. Bruce Dickinson. Mercury definitely gets the nod here, as he had a good 4 octave range. Staley? Hmm.... If you listen to Jerry Cantrell's solo album, you'll see how close he and his backing vocals sound exactly like Staley, and that was when Staley was in his drug-induced haze. That makes me think that Staley didn't do much vocally (I know he did, but it makes you wonder who really had the voice in Alice in Chains).

There are plenty others, and I'll post those in a bit (on my phone).

BL.

23. macrumors 603

Tomorrow

In no particular order:

Robert Plant
    Ann Wilson
    Meat Loaf
    Sebastian Bach
    Amy Lee
    Geoff Tate
    David Coverdale
    Bruce Dickinson

24. macrumors 6502a

Uofmtiger

My favorite would be Elvis Presley, but I live in Memphis, so I could be brainwashed.:)

25. macrumors regular

Face Ache

Steve Marriott
    Lou Gramm
    Bon Scott
    Jimmy Barnes