fav. Widget

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by puckhead193, Dec 19, 2004.

1. puckhead193 macrumors G3

puckhead193

I just downloaded Konfabulator...and was thinking whats everyone favorite widget.....

2. slipper macrumors 68000

slipper

you know, i tried convincing myself that konfabulator was really useful but a few weeks later i feel its just a complete waste of CPU power.

when i did like it, i had 3 different 'what to do' programs running (one for todays priorities, two for work schedules), tempurature, picture frame, calendar, and eBayMaster.

3. JeDiBoYTJ macrumors 6502a

JeDiBoYTJ

^ I kinda agree with slipper. I really love the whole Konfabulators concept, but it seems more of a novelty than anything. The only 2 widgets I have running 100% of the time is the RAM widget, that I have tucked neatly in the bottom left corner, and the Calendar. I use the "To-Do" widget occationally, if I have a lot to do. I tried using those iChat widgets, The Bezel one is cool, but annoying after a while, and useless if you just keep your iChat window open all the time (mine is on the left side).

4. puckhead193 thread starter macrumors G3

puckhead193

yea... i'm starting to get that feeling, i thought i would post and get a great idea from someone, but so far i downloaded a few and nuthing to helpful..... :(

5. spaceballl macrumors 68030

spaceballl

There was a stock ticker one I used a lot before I uninstalled it.
    -Kevin

6. vgurl macrumors newbie

I like my weather widget, but yeah, other than that I haven't really used Konfabulator all that much. I guess I wasted some $$$,.... dang I gotta' stop doing that! :rolleyes:

7. Jovian9 macrumors 68000

Jovian9

Agreed. Konfabulator on my 17" PB 1.33GHz with 1GB RAM would slow my system down so much it was unbearable. I wanted to buy it but the performance was so awful that there is no way I could give them my $.

8. cb911 macrumors 601

cb911

quite a few of these widget threads keep coming up. there was another one here: http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=93773&highlight=widget+mod

but that was a while ago. in that thread i talked abut how i was going to mod some widgets. and i did. :D here's the result:
    [​IMG]
    the orginals are on top, and the mods on the bottom. i wanted to get them all looking 'Matrix-style'. the TubeClock looks really good, but it just takes up too much screen space.

here's the final shot of NetAct and the FlipClock mod:
    [​IMG]

i still use the modded FlipClock - i like it's smaller size now. i didn't need the date because i've already got MenuCalendarClock...

but i'm not using that version of NetAct because there's a new version out, and i haven't modded it at all (actually, i might change the font to Monaco some time...). the new version is good as well - it keeps the totals. the old one used to reset at either 4GB up or down but the new version keeps going. :cool:

so the widgets i currently use:
    • Slickies
    • NetAct
    • FlipClock (modded to show time only)

there's a few others i play with like the dancing Gir widget. :D

i can't say that i really notice any slowdown, because i have been using Konfab for as long as i remember. so i guess i've forgotten what it's like without it. :p

9. ravenvii macrumors 604

ravenvii

I'm like the other posters here, I tried Konfabulator, and thought it's an awesome concept, and executed decently. But I just don't find a use for it, so I eventually trashed it when the trial ended.

Actually, as much as Dashboard might have ripped off Konfabulator, I preferred the Dashboard way of having a different "layer" that you call upon for all the widgets. Keeps the desktop neat. I wonder if it eats up the CPU like Konfabulator does. Maybe Tiger will force me to finally upgrade from a G3 :D

10. OSX Panther macrumors member

The only widget i use is iTunes controller. I use it for the programmable hotkeys, so i change sobgs with command F1 and F3 and press pause py pressing command F2... So now i dont have to go down to the dock to change somgs quikly....

11. MacFan26 macrumors 65816

MacFan26

I used konfabulator in the beginning and I think it's a great app, but I just didn't find that much need for it. I guess that's why I haven't been all that excited about Dashboard. Most widgets I used I was able to find much smaller replacements for them in the menubar.

12. Col. Panic macrumors member

I purchase Konfabulator and downloaded tons of widgets. Then I started seeing memory leaks and having crashing problems. So I took it off my computer. It was a nice idea that in the end wasn't all that useful. If dashboard is more stable and has a smaller footprint then I will probably switch back to using some.

The most helpful widget I found though was the iCal on the desktop ones. I hate having to poen iCal to see what meetings I have that day or my To Do items.

Personally I think that should be a menu item built into iCal and Mac OS X.