Favorite Car Company

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by CompUser, Oct 7, 2005.

1. CompUser Guest

What is your favorite car company of all time. What brand are you obsessed with?

Mine is probably BMW and Jaguar.

2. TheMonarch macrumors 65816

TheMonarch

Hmm. I don't want to pick a super expensive luxury car company, but rather one that makes quality affordable and long lasting cars...

I pick Honda - Japanese cars excel...

3. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

rainman::|:|

4. bursty macrumors 6502a

bursty

Hmmm, if I had to name just one, it would have to be Chevy. Others include Porsche, BMW, Ferrari, Audi.....pretty much anything but Ford. ;)

5. gwuMACaddict macrumors 68040

gwuMACaddict

Volvo

my parents were hit head on by a drunk driver almost two decades ago. they were driving a 1987volvo 740. they unbuckled their seat belts and walked away from the crash. the drunk wasn't killed, but had to be taken to the hospital for extensive injuries.

since then, i've been in one "serious" accident, here in dc, with my 1998 s90. a cop ran a red light and i hit him. caught him right in the middle of his crusier- spun him around. his airbags deployed, he walked away with scratches- i was perfectly fine. (the cops ruled the accident in my favor, the city is paying ths insurance to fix the car- in case you were curious)

i don't plan on driving any other brand of car

6. Xtremehkr macrumors 68000

Xtremehkr

1. Toyota/Lexus.
    2. BMW/Mini. Honda/Acura.
    3. Nissan/Infiniti.
    4. Mercedes Benz.

The rest are a hodgepodge of decent and terrible. Toyota really does seem poised to define what vehicles should be in the near future though. They are what GM could have been. Toyota, through Lexus, have been able to move ahead of what have traditionally been considered the best car makers because of their ability to develop a wide range of vehicles that consistently perform better. Toyota has used economies of scale to benefit their entire line, a move that European manufacturers are now emulating.

7. Xtremehkr macrumors 68000

Xtremehkr

I did leave out brands like Porsche, Maybach, RR, Bently, and Lambourghini, and Ferrari, among others, because they really do not serve anything other than a niche market. They are also vulnerable to eventual competition from larger companies who have the resources to develop better vehicles, should they choose to do so. Larger companies can borrow from their only lines, niche specific companies cannot do the same and may eventually be outstripped. Another reason why I think BMW, MB, and Porsche are expanding their range of products.

8. bursty macrumors 6502a

bursty

Those niche markets arent going anywhere. :rolleyes:

9. Xtremehkr macrumors 68000

Xtremehkr

Well, considering that half of them have been bought out, and exist only as subsidiaries. They aren't really companies anymore as much as brands that exist to exploit the prestige they once held. Consider who owns Jaguar, SAAB, and Volvo, not the most respected of manufacturers are they.

Even the Porsche Cayenne is just a dressed up Toureg. The existence of niche market car manufacturers is about to become a thing of that past. For good or for bad, larger companies have the resources to outstrip what were once considered the untouchables. That is why I don't consider them in this instance, I am dubious of their ability to survive in the face of much more powerful companies, who have just as much drive when it comes to proving why they are the best.

10. groovebuster macrumors 65816

groovebuster

You do realize that none of the little car makers is independent anymore? A few examples...

Ferrari is owned by FIAT
    Lamborghini is owned by Audi
    Jaguar is owned by Ford
    Maybach is a brand of Mercedes
    Bentley is owned by Volkswagen
    Rolls-Royce is owned by BMW

Their models are already developed mainly by the engineers of the parent company. Otherwise these brands wouldn't exist anymore already.

One of the rare exceptions from the rule is Porsche... Pretty small but still independant! They even bought themselves into Volkswagen recently.

groovebuster

11. bursty macrumors 6502a

bursty

So using your logic, theres only a handful of companies including GM, Ford, Daimler-Chrysler, Audi, and Fiat? These parent companies just own the smaller brands, not control them.

Oh, and I'd say the Cayenne Turbo is a little more then a "dressed up" Toureg. :rolleyes:

12. groovebuster macrumors 65816

groovebuster

You are extremely wrong my young padawan...

These niche markets will always exist. As long as a car is a status symbol in our culture there will these niche markets.

When you are buying e.g. a Ferrari, it is for two reasons:

1) Not everybody can afford one
    2) and therefore it makes you feel special

groovebuster

13. groovebuster macrumors 65816

groovebuster

When you are owning a company, you are actually controlling it. If that is good or bad depends on each case individually...

Actually he's right about it, but who cares? The engine and the floor pan components are coming from Volkswagen. A Touareg driver still doesn't own a Porsche. A car is so much more than just the engine and the floor pan components...

Oh, I forgot... maybe not for american brands. ;)

groovebuster

14. Xtremehkr macrumors 68000

Xtremehkr

Well, yes, I think I do. I think I may have also made that point, in one way or another.

The reason why I listed my most favored car companies came down to quality of product and indications of future direction.

A respected brand name may hold favor for a time, even if the are past their best work. But eventually, if their claim of being the best does not match the quality of product, they are eventually going to end up in the heap of other prestigious name brands that did not go the distance.

My list is based upon manufacturers who I think are currently the best, if not popularly recognized.

If these name brands exist within the bounds of another company who has chosen keep the brand alive after having bought them, they are not really the best companies anymore are they? Just subsidiaries that rely on the prestige they built when they were able to operate as a niche company. Because of that, they can't be considered as being stand alone brands either, they have to be considered as a part of the company that owns them. In that regard, those companies still do not match the overall quality of those who I think are currently the market leaders.

Yes, I realize that they are owned by other companies, which is why I don't list them. They are only apart of the company that owns them.

I don't think that ownership of a brand name does much for that brand either. It's really just exploitation of the reputation achieved before the owners decided to cash out.

15. Xtremehkr macrumors 68000

Xtremehkr

Unfortunately, Ferrari does not have the resources to compete with a much larger company who could devote considerably more towards developing a Supercar, if they chose to.

Overtime, if Ferrari consistently fell second to a company that invested more than Ferrari could, they would lose the position they have now. That is the power a larger company has, compared to a niche market company.

Toyota can take a loss for a lot longer than Ferrari can. While at the same time, devoting more R&D capital.

16. Jon'sLightBulbs macrumors 6502a

No Mercedes and BMW. Please actually purchase one and attempt to deal with their service departments before you place these marquees too high on your list of ultimate manufacturers. These companies have grown too arrogant from high sales and have forgotten that service is what keeps their dealers alive.

17. puckhead193 macrumors G3

puckhead193

i love lexus cars my parents soon *i hope* will purchase their 4th lexus. But i like toyota and honda.
    I would prob buy a saleen s7 (i think its called) over a ferreri or others. And i

18. Jon'sLightBulbs macrumors 6502a

How much of a Jaguar do you really suppose is built upon a Ford? I'm talking real Jag, to wit: the XJ and XK. There is almost no semblance of Ford influence. Or a Ferrari built upon a Fiat? Almost none. Don't confuse management too much with final product. If you blindly drive a car from the higher echelon manufacturer built upon a "platform" from the mainstream manufacturer but are unable to discern the kinship, then the similarity and cross-platform is completely academic. It's a car, not a business school case study in shared management.

19. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Should we be including the very very special brands, like Maybach, Bentley and such?

If we're talking about expensive, mass produced, easy to find road cars, my favourite is Honda. I love that company, and I don't know why. They're like the Apple of car companies for me. I know that for many of you, it's Toyota, but Honda does have some quirky ideas, make good engines, and does make the best car in certain categories, like Minivans (not exciting, I know). They're also a bit more exciting than Toyota, and I like Acura a lot more than Lexus. I'd love an Acura TL or TSX. ;)

20. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

Talking about every day economy cars, I'm going to say Hyundai. Say what you want about them and their past, but we have 3 Hyundais in the family, one of them being mine, and they are extremley well built and reliable cars and we're happy with all 3.

Luxury cars, I'd go with BMW. Like the looks and style of them.

Then for the exotics, my 2 favorite cars are the Lotus Elise and Ferrari Enzo. Of course, if you handed me the keys to a brand new Lamborghini or Pagani, you won't hear any complaints from me ;)

21. groovebuster macrumors 65816

groovebuster

You still don't seem to get that cars are not only about how effective they can be built. There are competitors to Ferrari with maybe even better cars. But besides the pure numbers it is a question of taste and personal preference which car you are driving. On what kind of measuring method you would base a statement like that a Ferrari is a better car than a Lamborghini? It is the whole driving experience and ownership thing that is part of it!

For example... I am owning an old BMW motorcycle from 1959 (R26). Are there better motor-cycles today from a technical point of view? Yes, of course! But that's not the point. I love the motorcycle for its looks and fro the driving-experience, which is totally different from a modern motorcycle.

Niche-markets don't follow rational rules! Somebody who buys a Porsche or a Bentley is definitily driven by a different motivation than the nurse who just needs a cheap and reliable vehicle to get from a to b.

groovebuster

22. Lord Blackadder macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

Ferrari, Lotus, TVR, Jaguar, Aston Martin, Maserati, Panoz and any other company that hasn't caved in and made an SUV yet.

Shame on you Porsche... ;)

Ferrari is probably one of my top three because of their eternal commitment to racing...and the Germans are up there too.

But I can't decide.

What the hell am I doing up at 3am? :confused:

23. TheMonarch macrumors 65816

TheMonarch

Woot! Honda! Awesome cars and ideas...

24. Chaszmyr macrumors 601

Chaszmyr

That's very assumptive.