Favorite childhood toy

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by tobefirst, Oct 11, 2005.

1. tobefirst macrumors 68040

tobefirst

According to my search, it's been 3 years since this was done here, so I'm starting a new thread.

I wanna know what your absolute favorite childhood toy is. I don't want a list of things, I want you to just pick ONE toy from your childhood, and lemme know why you loved it so much. Simple enough, right? I'll start...

Far and away, the toy I loved the most when I was growing up were Legos. I could spend all day everyday building and tearing apart all kinds of creations. The creativity involved was something I adored. Legos were a part of every birthday and Christmas list for as long as I can remember. My favorite ones weren't the spaceship ones, or the pirates, or knights, or anything like that. I loved the regular ol' town ones.

Ironically enough, I don't really care for Legos much anymore because I feel they have gotten away from the creativity that the toy used to bring. Now all the pieces are very specialized and unique, whereas when I was younger, you really had to mix and match certain pieces to get the desired effect. That search for the perfect piece has been replaced by all the special pieces.

What about you?

2. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

Well, now this will sound boring, but Legos for me too. But I did like the space Legos. A lot. The regular ones were good for bulk purchases because they gave you more pieces for the money. But when you needed an astronaut and a laser gun, well, the regular ones just didn't cut it.

My brother still mentions how I ripped him off, buying his space Lego collection for something like $1.25 when he was five to add to mine. It's like he doesn't even appreciate the life lesson I taught him.

3. JupiterTwo macrumors 6502

JupiterTwo

Hmmm. Legos were good, legos were great in fact.
    However for me, I think it has to be the simple diecast toy car - Matchbox/Corgi and the like (or Hotwheels even :p). Not fancy or swish like other things, and very cheap. With one of those I was away into my own little world. It might have been a dangerous place full of high speed crashes and death defying leaps, but it was ace :D

4. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

Lego. Clearly Lego. Didn't like any of the "fancy" sets, just had a big box and built stuff "freestyle"... :)

I also had a toy fox. Him and me were inseparable until I lost/forgot him at a hotel in London in 1975. Caused a lot of heartache for a little 5 year old boy, and even 30 years later I still wonder what really happened to it... :(

5. devilot Moderator emeritus

devilot

Took me forever to find a pic of it online... google...[​IMG] The model brand is called Breyer and this specific horse's model name is Jeremy. I had one or two other ones but as a young kid, these $20+ models took me forever to save up for! I had $2 a month allowance... :p

6. Jaffa Cake macrumors Core

Jaffa Cake

When I saw the title of this thread, the first thing that came to mind was Lego, especially the space Lego. Looks like it's very popular stuff...

7. anonymous161 macrumors 6502

Where the wind comes sweeping down the plains
  8. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

Colouring-in books, if they count as a toy.

Liked Lego too but I didn't have the wonderful sets that the kid next door had with the transparent bricks and the motors. :eek:

9. zelmo macrumors 603

zelmo

It was all about the Hot Wheels for me. I never really got into the whole Lego thing.

10. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

BTW, let's not start a "Favorite adolescent toy" category. Might all be the same answer there, too... well, only a couple of different toys.

11. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

Obviously because you never had Space Legos. ;)

12. tobefirst thread starter macrumors 68040

tobefirst

Considering that everyone except Devilot and tzibo (and now powermac666) listed Legos, I think Colouring-in books have to count, even if it's just because it's not Legos. :)

13. pdpfilms macrumors 68020

pdpfilms

Definetly Legos.

...From a sociological standpoint, maybe playing with legos the socialization period is somehow related to using macs later in life... they're clearly both creative objects...

14. iDM macrumors 6502a

iDM

The Commonwealth of PA/The First State-DE
    Sorry to dissapoint, but the only toy I ever asked for, and ever really remember playing with was Legos. I would spread out a large bedspread dump buckets(I had 2 5 gallon buckets)onto the sheet and build every vehicle, building, and machine i needed to amuse myself. I caught quite alot of heat from my parents and siblings for finding bricks, bodies, and windows imprinted into the bottom of their feet cause i didn't find all the pieces.

So another vote for Lego, it was all about the Lego.

Oh and side note, I like(d) the marine stuff, submarines, boats, I had the Coast Guard Cutter and that thing was sweet.

15. Peter Griffin macrumors regular

Can't beat Ninja Turtle action figures. Had the whole gang + the van. Those were the days...

16. Lau Guest

My first thought was ... Lego! But actually, thinking back, what I liked more was a good ol' pencil and paper. Oh, and my mum used to keep all the toilet rolls and cereal boxes and I used to make 'inventions' :)

So yeah, pencil and paper.

Edit - Blue Velvet, you saying colouring books reminded me - I never was so into colouring books, because I wasn't very good at staying in the lines. :( In fact, the first thing I got told off for aged 5 at primary school was that I had coloured in some lions really badly. Feel like going back to that teacher now and saying "guess what I do now" :p

Then again, I still can't colour in now.... :eek:

17. macartistkel macrumors 6502a

macartistkel

Well my favorite toy was probably Barbie dolls! Never got old while I was growing up!! :)

18. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

I often used coloring books as bases on the carpet for my Lego-building work, so, yes, of course they count. ;)

19. eva01 macrumors 601

eva01

my favorite toy

NES

ah what the hell legos friggen own i still play with them on occasion, yes i am the ultimate dork in the universe.

now to find a better girlfriend that is a dork like me

20. EGT macrumors 68000

EGT

I had a doggy teddy-bear type thing called Wrinkles. He came with a book (how weird). I read it every night before bed with him at my side :D Awww.

I then became gradually more interested in model aircraft and that type of stuff but never strayed away from loving the Dogs though.

:cool:

21. rockthecasbah macrumors 68020

rockthecasbah

the two loves of my life were Legos (but that's been played out in this thread already) and Thomas the Tank Engine / Brio wooden trains. I was head over heels for those trains!! I would set up this immense tracks and like spread them all over the floor so no one could walk...i wasn't very considerate then now that i think about it... :)

22. After G macrumors 68000

After G

Wooden block farmset. When I got bored of playing farmer, I'd build other stuff, like a bridge across chairs, stuff like that.

Legos were great, but only if you had someone else to play with. Then you could have a Lego war and throw blocks at each other :)

23. m-dogg macrumors 65816

m-dogg

another vote for legos here. And yes, the space versions were way better!

24. emw macrumors G4

emw

I'd have to agree with the Legos, specifically the aforementioned Space Legos. These were the first, I believe, of the "specialty" Legos that subsequently launched a multitude of variations, leading up to such things as the Death Star set.

I can't wait until my kids are older so we can graduate from Duplo to the "real" Legos. Of course, they may never get the chance to play with them...