Favorite Console?

Discussion in 'Games' started by steamboat26, Jul 8, 2006.

1. steamboat26 macrumors 65816

May 25, 2006
    Arlington VA
    What is everybodies favorite gaming console?

For me, it is VERY close between my rarely working PS2 and my awesome Super Nintendo (still going strong after 10+ years).
  2. risc macrumors 68030

Jul 23, 2004
    Melbourne, Australia
    I've been a console junkie since the original NES but my favourite of all time would probably be the original Playstation or the Xbox 360.
  3. ham_man macrumors 68020

Jan 21, 2005
  4. Tom B. macrumors 65816

Tom B.

Mar 22, 2006
    For me it is definitly the Nintendo DS Lite currently, because of the exellent games. I occasionaly play my PSP (because of GTA: LCS) and Xbox 360 (because of Call Of Duty II), but I have not touched my PS2 or GameCube for months.
  5. steamboat26 thread starter macrumors 65816

May 25, 2006
    Arlington VA
    I could never get into the XBOX, although i am told it was the most powerful console (the PS2 was third behind the Gamecube). But the PS2 didn't sell 100 million units for nothing...
  6. DarkNetworks macrumors 68000

Apr 12, 2005
    shouldn't this be a poll instead? :confused:
    Well, as far as my favorite console, it has to be the 360.
  7. Mackilroy macrumors 68040

Jun 29, 2006
    The PS2 didn't sell 100 million units. Sony shipped 100 million units. Odds are they actually SOLD maybe a third to half that.

In any case, probably my DS, then my Xbox 360. The DS has cool games, Nintendo Wi-Fi, and is portable. The 360 has cool games, great graphics, and Live.
  8. celebrian23 macrumors 65816

Mar 12, 2006
    Under the sun
    Sega Genesis. It was the first console my family ever had- a christmas gift from my parents and it cost $100. Sure there are a lot of better systems, even then, but my memories of it are especially fond.
  9. steamboat26 thread starter macrumors 65816

May 25, 2006
    Arlington VA
    I would have made it a poll, but i don't want to list every console, that would take too long, and i am too lazy...:D
  10. steamboat26 thread starter macrumors 65816

May 25, 2006
    Arlington VA
    a lot of you are saying the 360. I have never played it, but it looks amazing. I can't wait to see what the PS3 will be able to do!
  11. dmw007 macrumors G4

May 26, 2005
    Working for MI-6
    Same here- I love to play Halo & Halo II. :)

Although, I rarely play video games anymore.... :eek:
  12. twistedlegato macrumors 65816

Jun 15, 2006
    My Gamecube or my original DS (for some reason i soled my DS for a PSP because i though they would be cooler, but i regret doing it. And worst of all my PSP got stolen:mad: :mad: :mad: . Oh well since i dont have the DS original looks like i can get a lite) hehehehe
  13. DavidLeblond macrumors 68020

Jan 6, 2004
    Raleigh, NC
    The SNES hands down. I never had one, but my next door neighbor growing up did. I had a Genesis that collected dust because all the great games were for the SNES. The games just aren't as fun anymore. The Gamecube wins it for the best controller though. And the NES for nostalgia's sake.

EDIT: I should add that the games probably aren't as fun anymore because now I'm an adult... I remember getting a hold of a nintendo power and just looking at the maps of games that I hadn't played. Games just don't have that hold on me as they use to, although I still enjoy them.
  14. cycocelica macrumors 68000

Apr 28, 2005
    Redmond, WA
  15. DarkNetworks macrumors 68000

Apr 12, 2005
    that's sad...:(
  16. cplusON3R macrumors regular

May 8, 2006
    Dirty Jersey
    it'd have to be the Sega Dreamcast for me. I guess it was only really worth it if you modded the DC for all the import games.. plus alien front online was just too much fun.

very close second would be the NES
  17. AvSRoCkCO1067 macrumors 65816

Sep 6, 2005
    XBOX 360 - because of Live.

Live is so much more than just being able to play versus others (although that is fun too...). Live is a marketplace, a place to download a demo for a game you might be interested or a place to watch a trailer your interested in.

The customizability of the XBOX 360 is staggering as well - being able to choose music while playing a first person shooter is, in my mind, really awesome.

I always think of Microsoft as three seperate companies: you have Windows, Office, and Xbox/Hardware. The Xbox/Hardware teams do a fantastic job - they innovate and create great, durable, reliable products. The Office team undoubtedly does a pretty good job as well - although redoing the entire 2007 Office interface has more to do with selling copies than making things more efficient. The Windows team is, currently, in a state of flux - we'll see if things get better in a few years down the road...;)
  18. ddrueckhammer macrumors 65816

Aug 8, 2004
    America's Wang
    My first console was an Atari 2600 so I have seen them all...

My favorite would be NES for Super Mario 1 & 3, Legend of Zelda, Mike Tyson's Punchout, River City Ransom, Megaman, Rad Racer, Final Fantasy, and Tetris or Genesis for Sonic 1 & 2, Shining Force 1 & 2, Flashback etc. but currently I'm digging the DS Lite because I can pick up many of my favorites from those two systems for GBA on the go, as well as, great new titles that use the innovative touch screen...

I did like the N64 for 007 Goldeneye and PS1 for FFVII too though...

Xbox 360 has great graphics but I haven't played anything that I couldn't on a PC yet...

The console that I missed that I wish I could pick up is the Saturn for Shining Force III...
  19. chairguru22 macrumors 6502a

May 31, 2006
    tough one, i like all of mine. SNES, N64, GCN, PS2, DS. I had a ton of games for the SNES & N64 so in terms of most playtime it would be a tie b/t those two. Actually, during this summer gaming release lull, im replaying Turok 2 and NHL99 for N64 again... GCN has its moments and same with PS2. The DS is my current favorite because its the newest but thatll change when the Wii comes out.
  20. iBookG4user macrumors 604

Jun 27, 2006
    Seattle, WA
    My favorite console is my Gamecube. Mainly because of super smash bros melee still keeping me playing it after several years.
  21. exabytes18 macrumors 6502

Jun 14, 2006
    Suburb of Chicago
    Really! I was expecting you to say Nightfire for XBOX. (or N64 with GoldenEye) ;)
  22. Dagless macrumors Core

Jan 18, 2005
    Fighting to stay in the EU
    Never had a SNES. the only major console I've never had under my roof. I'd have given anything for a SNES. Infact I even, in my most evil moment yet, pretended to mates with this guy just for his SNES. well not even mates! we always had fights *bless 7 year olds*. Mario All Stars, Yoshis Island just did it for me. everything else was negligible. but hey it's SNES. it's pretty much everyone's favourite machine.

current fave? DS.

Stopped playing Cube months ago, haven't bought a game since Prime 2. Never got into the PS2, burned from games it had before the Cubes UK launch. MGS2, Burnout 1 and some random forgottens never interested me. Haven't bought (and kept) an Xbox game since Panzer Dragoon Orta from 3 years ago.

I'd tempted to say Amiga. Just because it had Turrican. Where I don't like old Metroid games I love old Turrican games. and the console Turricans were just nothing compared to the original Amiga versions. and that it survived from 1990 up to 1998 in frequent playing. an almighty god of a console/computer. yes Sony, Amiga could do that. Amiga was perfect.
  23. BlizzardBomb macrumors 68030

Jun 15, 2005
    The SNES of course. Nothing beats Mario Paint, Mario Kart and Mario World :p
  24. Chundles macrumors G4

Jul 4, 2005
    Well, I've owned an original Game Boy and a Game Boy pocket but I don't count them as consoles so I'm going to have to go with the only console that has ever graced my family's home (except for my little sis' boyfriend's XBox while he was staying with us for a while over the past summer).

The Atari...mumblesomethingorother... We had Tennis and Pong on it, I think there was some side scrolling thing but this was back in 1989 or 1990 so my memroy is a little hazy. It was cool, we all used to play Tennis on it, Dad and I would have marathon sessions when he wasn't off flying, my mates thought it was cool until someone got a Nintendo and then I was out of favour. We eventually lost interest and the Atari went the way of the Dodo along with our first computer (I think it ran Windows 3.mumblesomethingorother...) in the garage sale before we moved to Singapore. I wasn't really that disappointed, what made me sad was the sale of Dad's gigantic 3-cabinet stereo system with floor standing speakers about 6 feet high and all the cool gear inside - he'd had it since he was the age I am now and somehow moved it all over Australia.

The XBox is pretty cool, I prefer the GameCube controller though, never actually played a PS2. I've held a PSP and pressed buttons but couldn't figure it out. My mate who is an avid Game Cuber hated playing against me because I just used to close my eyes and wiggle the joysticks and mash buttons whilst he had all the tricks worked out and he'd still lose.