Favorite Firefox Extensions

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by stevietheb, Nov 28, 2004.

1. stevietheb macrumors 6502a

stevietheb

I thought I'd start a thread for people to shout out their favorite firefox extensions.

My favorite:
    I don't have any currently...which is another reason I'm starting this thread!

2. Wes macrumors 68020

Wes

1. BugMeNot: AMAZING! Bypasses those pesky websites that require free registration. Check it out at www.bugmenot.com

2. GooglePreview: Shows you a small thumbnail of every site that shows up on your google search.

3. Gmail Notifier: Tells me when I have GMail.

3. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

WeatherFox is nifty, lets me know just how cold it's gonna be from the browser status bar before I leave home in the morning.

4. stevietheb thread starter macrumors 6502a

stevietheb

OK, I've installed SmoothScroll on my iBook...and subsequently switched my default browser to FireFox.

5. blaster_boy macrumors 6502

blaster_boy

Weatherfox, Adblock (I LOOOOVE adblock) and FireFTP are my favourite extensions.

My ultimate extension choice though is SwitchProxy, which lets you switch proxies at the click of a button.

Not very usefull at home, but in a work environment where you are being asked to regularly test 3 different proxy/firewall environments, it's a godsend !!
    :p

6. stevietheb thread starter macrumors 6502a

stevietheb

7. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

I know they're both so obligatory that they should just be part of the default installation, but tabbrowser extensions and adblock. :)

*Goes out to check out smoothscroller and bugmenot*

8. homerjward macrumors 68030

homerjward

the one that makes new window stuff open in a new tab (name?), firesomething which doesn't seem to work with the latest release, and gmail notifier. i like to keep it sort of plain i guess.

9. Hoef macrumors 6502a

Hoef

Sort bookmarks .... Good for an organization nut that I am

10. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

11. advres Guest

advres

I'll list two I use that hasn't been mentioned yet.

I really like FoxyTunes which allows you to control iTunes or just about any other media player right from your browser. The nice thing is you can customize keyboard shortcuts for it too.

I also use Farkit but that's only good if you frequent fark.com

12. stevietheb thread starter macrumors 6502a

stevietheb

I've gone extension crazy in the last 24 hrs:

SmoothWheel: makes the wheel silky

AdBlock: Great!

ImageZoom: Creates an item in the context menu that allows you to zoom in/out on images on a page

Sage: built in RSS reader

Mozilla Calendar: Still a little rough, but I use it to make quick changes to my published calendar so that my wife can see. I still use iCal from my iBook, but when on our iMac I can make quick changes so that they are published immediately.

13. bubbamac macrumors 6502

I tried AdBlock, and it slowed Firefox down somewhat. Maybe only 10%, it's tough to judge. But on a high speed connection, I'd rather load the ads than wait for Firefox to figure out what is and isn't an ad. I haven't tried it on dial-up yet - might be worth it there.

14. jeremy.king macrumors 603

jeremy.king

You define what is and isn't - via URL patterns - not Firefox :confused:

Not really sure why this slows it down - as I understood it, Adblock wont even d/l the extra images/flash/etc...

15. bubbamac macrumors 6502

Yes, but even though I defined the ads, AdBlock/Firefox has to compare the URL that the web page is trying to link to to the list I have created. While the "ads" never donwload, there is still a lag as AdBlock/Firefox does the comparison. My 'feeling' is that it takes longer to compare than it does to download on my high-speed connection. Dial-up may be different.