Favorite iPad drawing/sketching apps?

Discussion in 'Design and Graphics' started by fig, Aug 21, 2013.

1. fig
    macrumors 6502a

I did a search through the iPad Apps forum before posting this question and, as I suspected, it was mostly people trying to sell their apps or people looking for random apps to make hearts and smileys on photos :)

So for you actual designers and artists, any preferred sketching and drawing apps? I'm looking for something primarily for sketching figures/people and design thumbnails, I've been researching a bit and the way that Paper lets you set up different notebooks seems really useful.

A related question, is anyone doing a lot of sketching on an iPad Mini? My wife has an iPad that I use occasionally but I'm looking to get my own tablet in a month or so (will probably wait for the next update), and I was wondering if the Mini has enough usable area for sketching or if the full size iPad was a better way to go.

Thanks!

2. macrumors newbie

The sketching app I use is Procreate. I started with Brushes, but now I favor Procreate. I use it for quick sketches of people, landscapes, etc. I'm also excited that Wacom has announced a pressure sensitive stylus for the iPad, coming this fall.

3. macrumors 6502a

sigmadog

SketchBook Pro here. It's nice to play with, but I've never been a good finger-painter. Lots of better artists than I have expressed praise for SketchBook Pro, but I have to say I haven't used it much the last year since getting a new Cintiq 22HD (which is awesome, by the way), but I intend to buy a pressure sensitive stylus soon to play with on the iPad, just gotta decide which one.

4. macrumors 604

chrono1081

Same here. I started with Brushes which I still love but Procreate blows it out of the water.

Procreate also now apparently lets you record your strokes like Brushes does so you have a video of you making your art which is a great feature.

5. macrumors 6502a

skottichan

Sketchbook Pro, just for the ability to go from my Mac to iPad.

I've been using Procreate more too, it feels really natural.

6. fig
    thread starter macrumors 6502a

Good stuff, thanks guys. Seems like Procreate is worth checking out, I will give it a look.

I was looking at styluses (stylusi?) and there's a few that look solid, found a nice breakdown of lots of different models on The Verge if anyone else is looking.

And I've got my giant jar collecting change for whenever they announce the next iPad :)

7. macrumors 6502a

Hermes Monster

Procreate and Paper (Fly 53) are my apps of choice. I'll then use iDraw, which is a good vector app (Mac version also available)