Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

arn

macrumors god
Original poster
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
Hi all...

Doing some research.... I know there have been threads like this before... but though I'd get an updated list...

What Mac Applications do you all feel are the best/coolest around?

thanks,
arn

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Nov 1, 2001
VA
Photoshop is by far the single best ap out there from my point of view. There isn't a single image editing/manipulating package out there that compairs.

Then all the iApps are good, but FCP is also very cool, I think its the best digital video editing software you can get for the money.

D

AlphaTech

macrumors 601
Oct 4, 2001
Natick, MA
Toast Titanium, Illustrator 10, Bryce 5, Fire as well as the app's bundled with OS X (and systems that come with OS X installed). Don't forget QuickTime 5 Pro...

One of the most usefull apps/features of all time has to be Location Manager (for up to OS 9.x), especially for laptops.

I haven't used Photoshop 7 yet, but 6 rocks, same for Quark XPress (I tried out version 5 before it was released, but couldn't take advantage of the $100 off to purchase a copy).

eyelikeart

Moderator emeritus
Jan 2, 2001
Metairie, LA
At work I rely heavily on Freehand & Photoshop...as well as ATM, Quark, Pagemaker only when I have to, Streamline...I feel like I'm forgetting something...

and for internet, it's AIM, Internet Explorer, Limewire, Hotline, Mail...

ShaolinMiddleFinger

macrumors 6502a
Oct 12, 2001
When my computer turns on, the first program I turn on is iTunes, next comes IE, then Photoshop, then Final Cut....every now and then, iMovie.

jaykk

macrumors 6502a
Jan 5, 2002
CA
Mail and Watson..

I use Mail and Watson regularly, both are great apps.. Also, the Project Builder/Interface builder is one of the best application developer suite available under any platform..good job apple.. I compile C/C++/Java programs without any problems..

Favorite Mac Apps

I'm particularly fond of the shareware and haxies out there written specifically for the Mac, which include:

* Graphic Converter, a great little image manipulation/format conversion utility (altho I rarely use it);

* Sound Studio, a very functional sound-editing app;

* SPARKme, same as above;

* Application Switcher Menu, which mimics OS 9's application menu in X;

* Fruit Menu, which mimics OS 9's Apple menu;

* Silk, which beautifully smooths text;

* Tinkertool, a System Preferences utility providing control over a variety of UI functions;

* Visage, similar to Tinkertool;

* Windowshade;

* Xounds;

* A-Dock, which provides dock-like functionality in OS 9;

* iTexPod, which converts .txt files into .vcf (?) files, making them usable by the iPod. I'm currently working on putting the entire Bible onto my iPod;

* Setting Sun, a great little screen saver utility;

* Stargazer's Delight;

* Macintosh Explorer, which mimics the Windows Explorer;

* MacJournal, an e-diary applet; and

* Iconographer.

And of course, some of the great Apple apps, like

* iTunes,

* iPhoto, and

* DVD Player.

It's little apps like this that make the Mac such a fun platform.

Nipsy

macrumors 65816
Jan 19, 2002
BBEdit & Mozilla.

Neither are very earth-shattering, but both are the best at what they do.

ProjectBuilder has to be the most powerful free app in the world.

And I know it isn't an app, but I am still in awe of OSX. I keep finding new gems...

agreenster

macrumors 68000
Dec 6, 2001
Best OSX Apps:

-Cinema4D XL7.x

-Alias|Wavefront Maya3.5

-Photoshop 7 (duh)

-iPhoto (what a GREAT little app!!!!)

-iTunes

-Quicktime Pro (why hasnt someone already mentioned this?!?!? it absolutely RAPES Windows media Player!)

-Final Cut Pro

There's more, but these are the highlights

(havent tried FlashMX on OSX yet--has anyone? How good is it?)

sparkleytone

macrumors 68020
Oct 28, 2001
Greensboro, NC
Originally posted by AlphaTech

One of the most usefull apps/features of all time has to be Location Manager (for up to OS 9.x), especially for laptops.

what is this program??? if its what i think it is then it is in OS X too.

Apple Menu -> Location -> Pick your Poison

I use it everyday.

AlphaTech

macrumors 601
Oct 4, 2001
Natick, MA
Originally posted by sparkleytone

what is this program??? if its what i think it is then it is in OS X too.

Apple Menu -> Location -> Pick your Poison

I use it everyday.

Location Manager does more then just set the network preferences, as what you listed does. You can set it to change a bunch of differnt things.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.