Favorite Mac Desktop imac vs powermac

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by tim1978, Apr 23, 2005.

1. tim1978 macrumors newbie

If money were no option judging on performance, style, and apperance which do you prefer iMac g5 or power mac g5?

2. Patmian212 macrumors 68020

Patmian212

Decked out Powermac dual 2.5 DUH! :p

3. ColoJohnBoy macrumors 65816

ColoJohnBoy

iMac, all the way. Well, maybe after the next round of updates. I considered buying an iMac instead of a PowerBook, but it was lacking a few things:

-8x DVD+/-R drive
    -128 MB video card
    -FireWire 800

I was planning on using as my only computer for several years whatever I bought. The PowerBook seemed the best option. But I bet the next updates will bring all of these things to the iMac, or at least the first two. But, yeah, in any case, the iMac is too pretty to pass up.

4. macbaseball macrumors 6502a

macbaseball

I would take a iMac G4 for looks, but out of the two I would get the Powermac for looks. The iMac looks awqesone in pictures, but in person, I'm not a huge fan of it.

5. tersono macrumors 68000

tersono

If money were no problem, then there's only one possible choice.

BOTH!!!!!!!! :p ;) :D

6. SaleenS351 macrumors 6502

does the single 1.8Ghz PM really out perform the imac G5 by that much? I'm having trouble deciding which one to go with.

7. gallivant macrumors member

The single PM, based on the numbers, seems to be almost totally identical to the mid-range iMac, except for not having a monitor and of course being upgradable to a larger extent. Go to a dual machine, of course, and you can start seeing why the PMs are so great.

8. risc macrumors 68030

risc

We have both here I prefer the Power Mac G5 to the iMac G5 mainly because of speed, and more importantly (for me) upgradability.

The Power Mac G5 is mine, my GF owns the iMac G5 she's the exact opposite she hates the Power Mac, thinks it's too big and ugly.

9. Bear macrumors G3

Well, the G5 does appear to be rather larger. If it had more internal expansion capacity, it wouldn't be so bad.

Of ocurse for my use, I would be upgrading my G4 PowerMac to a G5 PowerMac at some point. I have to see what the next set of updates bring.

10. Xeem macrumors 6502a

Xeem

Yeah, except that the 5200 is a terrible video card that is easily replaceable in the PowerMac. In my PC, I wouldn't settle for a Radeon 9600XT, much less any FX 5200. Apple really needs to step up their video card game.

11. 2Sticky macrumors regular

As its money no option, a top spec PowerMac will do me nicely, and then I shall get a nice Apple cinema display for it too.

Mmmmmm.

12. Winstonp macrumors 6502a

Winstonp

imac g5 20' 100% of the way.

So simple, yet powerful and sexy.

imac g5 20-1800 :cool:

powermac g5 and 20''-2500 :confused:

13. SaleenS351 macrumors 6502

so the big positive with the imac is it comes with an LCD if you don't have one. But if money is not really an issue, Power mac is the way to go?

14. Winstonp macrumors 6502a

Winstonp

consider space too

powermacs are HUGE, clad with endless cabling

imacs are a little bigger than lcd screens, fewer cables

15. gallivant macrumors member

If money's no issue and size isn't a problem, a dual PM with a Cinema display is fantastic. If money exists and/or you're in a size crunch, look at an iMac instead.

16. d.perel macrumors regular

d.perel

I think that the smartest thing to do is to wait until the next version of the g5 processors come out (rumored to be april/may?) and then make a choice based on new power additions to the line up.
    But, if they come out with a dual 3ghz, multi-core, 970mp-powered G5 powermac, I say you were crazyyyyyy not to get it if money were no object :)