Favorite NON-REALITY television show

Discussion in 'Community' started by MattG, Feb 18, 2004.

1. MattG macrumors 68040

May 27, 2003
    Fletcher, NC
    For those of you (myself included) who can't stand Reality TV, what's your favorite show?

Currently mine is Curb Your Enthusiasm. Anyone see the episode a couple weeks ago where Larry picked up a hooker so he could use the car-pool lane and beat the traffic to the Dodgers game?? Hilarious!
  2. iGav macrumors G3

Mar 9, 2002
    I like CSI... but not CSI Miami... I started watching '24' for the 1st series, but eventually got board with it as the characters were generally poorly written and lacked any substantial depth but oozed stupidity, and the 2nd series was just plain nonsense, and the 3rd series seems even worse.

I generally like to watch factual programs, documentaries etc, we have a show here called 'Grand Designs' which is really rather good, as it's about design, architecture, renovating, gadgets etc, as one of my ambitions in life is to design and build my own home I find it very interesting.

I also watch stuff like 'Horizon' as every week this presents a different topic, and is incredibly well produced.

Anything that can boost my all round general knowledge is also a good thing.

I don't watch soaps, or the like, nor do I watch 'Reality' show's either... they're mind numbing, and I'd much rather spend my time being either creative rather than sitting watching morons... :eek: ;) :p
  3. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

Jun 25, 2002
    Gone but not forgotten.
    I'd rather watch Andromeda or Smallville, which are as far from reality as you can go. :D

There's too much reality in the news and too much stupidity in reality t.v. for me. (Yes, I watch the news but I'd rather not dwell on it.)
  4. D0ct0rteeth macrumors 65816

Mar 11, 2002
    Franklin, TN
    the shield and the west wing are fairly interesting once in a while..

But I definitely dont watch it regularly.

- Doc
  5. Simon Liquid macrumors regular

Jul 4, 2001

I've been in denial more than a year now.
  6. wdlove macrumors P6

Oct 20, 2002
    I like quite a few of the non reality shows like CSI X2, Law & Order X2, ER, & NYPD Blue.
  7. 2jaded2care macrumors 6502

Jun 13, 2003
    I can't bring myself to watch the popular reality shows either.

I'm somewhat hooked on "24". Maybe not the best-drawn characters, but some of the plot-twists and action work well enough. Yeah, maybe there've been a few logic-holes here and there.

Also watch "Alias", which seems a bit more "Bond"-style fantasy sometimes.

Watched "CSI" a few times, not enough to get any feel for the characters.

There's a show on Tech TV, think it's called "Spy School", that's kinda fun. "MI-5" is OK but kinda slow.

"West Wing" may be well written, but as a conservative I can't stomach it.

And rounding out fiction, there's always the news...

I'll admit I do watch a few reality shows that actually have something to do with reality, like "Cops" and "America's Most Wanted", mainly for the vicarious satisfaction of seeing justice done. And bless John Walsh, 700+ fugitives behind bars -- what other program can claim that kind of real impact on society?
  8. iGav macrumors G3

Mar 9, 2002
    the one thing I'm worried about is whether the arrival of the third CSI series 'CSI New York' will result in loss in story quality for the other shows... :(

I always thought a CSI: Seattle would've made a cool location... :)
  9. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

Jun 25, 2002
    Gone but not forgotten.
    Re: Firefly

I'm not sure that I ever saw that on t.v. but I've seen the DVD collection lately.
  10. latergator116 macrumors 68000

Sep 30, 2003
    Providence, RI
    The Gaurdian is a great show as well as Law and Order. Im not too much off a CSI fan.
  11. mmmbop macrumors regular

Aug 5, 2003
    I have a fear of commitment so don't really get involved with long running dramas. I made the exception for the first series of 24. I still can't stop myself saying "right now" in that 24-style of voice.

Any half hour comedy show normally does for me. Funniest show on British telly is Harry Hill's TV Burp, which is back but in a new timeslot. It may be TV eating itself but it makes me laugh out loud consistently, and is a good way to see what's been going on in TV land the last week.

And Timeteam on Sundays. Love that show. They dig a couple of ditches each week, pull out some broken pits of pottery, then do a quick 3D fly-through of what may have stood there many moons ago. Brilliant.
  12. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

May 19, 2002
    I got tired of them during the Regis crap and the original Survivor.

I almost thought they should merge the two types of shows and call it "Who Wants to be a Moron?"

And those home makeovers and dating shows are everywhere. :rolleyes:

The only redeeming reality shows are American Chopper/Hotrod & Monster Garage.

The guys at Chopper tend to make Malcom in the Middle seem like a 'normal' family. And their AOL commercials are silly -- poor Mikey.

Monk, Trek, Alias, Malcom, etc. are my attempts to avoid reality.
  13. ecche macrumors regular

Dec 14, 2003
    a very kiwi place
  14. mmmbop macrumors regular

Aug 5, 2003
  15. virividox macrumors 601

Aug 19, 2003
    Manila - Nottingham - Philadelphia - Santa Barbar
    tru calling, friends :(, smallville, birds of prey, firefly , lots of teh shows i like happen to get cancelled !!! arg scrubs and the oc (its so retardedi loveit)
  16. Krizoitz macrumors 6502a

Apr 26, 2003
    Wakayama, Japan
    No doubt about it

West Wing, best show I have EVER seen. Although it may not hold as much interest outside the states, I love it. Bartlett for President 2004! ;)
  17. MattG thread starter macrumors 68040

May 27, 2003
    Fletcher, NC
    Nobody ever talks about "Malcolm in the Middle." It's a really great show in case you've never watched it...very funny, and the cast really play their parts well (especially the dad...he's my favorite).
  18. Opteron macrumors 6502

Feb 10, 2004
    South Australia
    I enjoy Stargate (When it's on)

Law and Order SVU

and can't go past South Park
  19. cr2sh macrumors 68030

May 28, 2002
    Law and Order Criminal Intent hands down... all the L&A's are good, but CI I really enjoy.

Matlock, another incredible legal drama...

I hate CSI. It is the worst show have ever seen. It gets me angry just thinking about how many people watch that show and how ridiculous it is...
  20. applemacdude macrumors 68040

Mar 26, 2001
    Over The Rainbow
    The Simpsons! But they have lost their touch...
    Hmm...Southpark...getting old....
    Crank Yankers...got a good laugh from that show...

21. SiliconAddict macrumors 603

Jun 19, 2003
    Chicago, IL
    Lets see. In order of fav shows old an new shows.

1. Stargate SG-1
    2. Star Trek: The Next Generation
    3. Quantum Leap
    4. CSI (I'm with iGAV. Miami rubs me the wrong way. The characters aren't as interesting as Gil and the gang.)
    5. News Radio (I miss Phil. :( )
    6. Law & Order (The original. Not the spinoffs.)
    7. Family Guy
    8. [The History Channel.]
    9. Simpson's
    10. Highlander
    11. The Secret Adventures of Jules Vernen
    12. Southpark
    13. Level 9
    14. Justice League
    15. Star Trek: Enterprise
    16. Wolf Lake (A series cut down before it had a chance to prove itself.)
    17. The 2000 and 2004 elections. (You want to talk about fiction.)

Oh god! I just found out!!
      Disney Buys The Muppets

I think I'm going to be sick. :eek:
  22. SiliconAddict macrumors 603

Jun 19, 2003
    Chicago, IL

Every Friday :D This week marks its 150th episode!
  23. Steradian macrumors 6502

Dec 3, 2002
    San Jose
    Currently my Fav. show is dead like me, it's so awesome, so grim :p. I am glad they are giving it another season on showtime :). sadly one of my other fav. show's Angel is being canceled poor poor spinoffs :'(. Simpsons will always continue to be the greatest satire, and so I shall watch. Hmm anyone know when that Red Dwarf movie is suppose to air? :p
  24. Achtung_U2 macrumors member

Feb 3, 2004
    Chicago, IL, U.S.A!
    South Park
    MAD TV
    Modern Marvels
    Six Feet Under
    E True Hollywood Story
    Star Trek (Original Cast)
  25. parrothead macrumors 6502a

Sep 24, 2003
    Edmonds, WA
    I think a new category needs to be added. Shows like American Choppers, monster garage, or even stuff like Crocodile Hunter/National Geographic shouldnt be lumped with shows like The Littlest Groom and The Bacherlorette part 26.5.

Anyway I like Seinfeld, Friends, Scrubs, the Practice and the Most Extreme Elimination Show. As far as shows in the non-trashy-reality show category I could list quite a few.