Favorite OS X Feature??

Discussion in 'macOS' started by taylorpc, Mar 9, 2006.

1. taylorpc macrumors member

An earlier post regarding Spotlight made me wonder: what is your favorite feature of OS X? I find it particularly irritating to go without the ingenious Expose'. I switched over only a year ago, and I'm finding new things every day that I just love.

Your favorite doesn't necessarily have to be a named feature, such as spotlight or dashboard, but maybe it's something about OS X that you prefer over other operating systems in general.

Thoughts?

2. emaja macrumors 68000

It's a tough call since the entire OS has tons of little features that really don't do a whole lot by themselves, but when you consider that one company has put them all together in one package, it becomes quite impressive.

One usefullness, I couldn't use a computer comfortably without Expose.

One potential, Automator and Spotlight are a little raw, but I am sure that we will see big improvements with the launch of Leopard.

3. Unorthodox macrumors 65816

Unorthodox

4. taylorpc thread starter macrumors member

I'm with you on that!

:D

5. metalgearmac macrumors member

Favorite OS X feature? OS X itself, after coming home from using windows at school OS X is heaven.

6. ero87 macrumors 65816

ero87

Expose, spotlight, the minimize "genie" effect... all crucial. I use spotlight freakishly often, probably when it's not necessary. We're spoiled.

BTW, i've been reading these forums for a while but i still can't figure out... what does GUI mean?!?

7. Unorthodox macrumors 65816

Unorthodox

So that was YOU I heard singing? :eek:

8. nightdweller25 macrumors 6502

Graphical
    User
    Interface

9. sunfast macrumors 68020

sunfast

I do love expose - I'm always squeezing my mouse at work and getting annoyed when it does nothing.

10. Kingsly macrumors 68040

Kingsly

Exposé
    Dashboard
    Frontrow
    Spotlight
    Dock
    Genie
    System preferences that actually make sense.
    Finder
    Bonjour
    Shift + ** = slo-mo
    Aqua
    iChat
    Mail
    You know what I just realized? OSX is my favorite part of OSX.

11. After G macrumors 68000

After G

My favorite feature is the user community.

Windows users seem annoyed when you ask them for help with stuff.

12. trainguy77 macrumors 68040

Expose I can't live without it. Heck I hate using a computer that does not have the same mouse button mapped to it!

13. Aarow macrumors 6502a

Built in spell check and ctrl+cmd+D.

I'm a bad speller.

14. Laser47 macrumors 6502a

Laser47

I absolutely love expose' and cant imagine OSX without it.
    I also love the way it works. Doing things on the Mac make sense contrary to windows, a good example is how you can drag and drop anything anywhere. Want to watch a quicktime movie simply drag it to the quicktime icon and it opens.

I also love how its different. Ive used windows for a very long time and got bored of it. I played around with several linux distro's but kept going back to windows.

Oh and one more thing. I like arguing with kids at school who say when they talk about how macs suck and think of themselves 'hackers' or computer geniuses, you know the kids who open Command prompt within windows and type dir and say they are hacking or the kids who type fdisk and expect something to happen. Yet bringing up the word Unix always brings up blank faces.

Words cannot express how much I love the Mac platform.

15. bobscliff macrumors regular

bobscliff

Virtual PC because i love windows.

EDIT: That was a joke

16. igucl macrumors 6502a

igucl

The ease with which peripherals and storage devices can be connected and ejected especially endears my Mac to me.

Edit: It does it so quickly, too. On Windows, I'm always waiting for the computer to recognize my flash drive. On my Mac, it's almost instantaneous.

Plus, how easy is it to set up a printer? Tell Bonjour to look for it. Done!

17. trainguy77 macrumors 68040

You don't need to tell Bonjour to do it....it just does:)

18. igucl macrumors 6502a

igucl

True. But you do have to select the printer it found, at least the first time. :)

19. jalagl macrumors 6502a

jalagl

Expose. Hands down.
    I miss it on my work Windows box.

I also use Spotlight to launch programs and search/open documents almost exclusively... the less I use Finder, the better :)

20. taylorpc thread starter macrumors member

I have found this to be true, as well. Windows users are very happy to tell/show you what they can do... Mac users can't wait to show you what YOU can do.

21. DougTheImpaler macrumors 6502a

I <3 Expose and Spotlight, myself...F9 is a great help in finding the right window and Spotlight is a great help in finding the right file. :)

22. luko macrumors newbie

I tend to use Expose alot on my Powerbook because of the samller screen estate, but not on my 20" ACD.

Also, I still think window management is better in Windows. I know OS X has a few more ways of switching applications but sometimes it's still not as fast as windows at getting to the window you want.

Example, you have Mail, 3 Finder windows and 3 Safari Windows Open. Mail is on top obscuring the windows behind. You cannot switch to Finder window 2 is one action. If you do expose you have to think, and really look for the window you want and considering most finder windows look the same it's not often easy, same goes with text documents. CMD-TAB will get you to Finder, but once there you'll have to activate your window still. Same thing with the dock, most of these methods of switching requires 2 or more actions.

Where as in Windows, all your windows are on your taskbar so you can get to the exact one you want in one action. The only problem with this is if you have a small resolution the taskbar becomes unreadable. Thankfully I don't have a small resolution.

23. Tymmz macrumors 65816

Tymmz

Expose and the beautiful GUI.

Windows gives me a headache.

24. Uma888 macrumors 6502

Dashbord
    FrontRow
    the Dock
    The ability to use the full resolution of my display, and read text wiout damaging my eyes (try looking at xp 1600*1200, you will go blind)
    look n feel of osx
    Support for more applications (file formats) than i initially though
    too many other things to list