favorite P2P???

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by cocopelli, Sep 11, 2002.

1. cocopelli macrumors member

Hi I was just wondering wich P2P everyone uses? Here at college the only one Ive found that works is Myster the rest I have tried are blocked by the firewall. The only problem is the selection is extremely poor. NE ways just wondering?

2. mac15 macrumors 68040

mac15

serioulsy get Virtual PC and run kazzalite, cause everything else on a mac sucks compared to it, even aquasition

3. vniow macrumors G4

AVOID KAZAA LITE AT ALL COSTS!!!

I've got it installed on my PC after discovering it and I quickly dicovered that unlike Kazaa, IT DOES NOT COMPLETE THE FILES! Kazaa downloads files as .dat until they're finished, then it renames them as .mpg, .exe or whatever when they finished. Kazaa Lite does not do this with all files. It's OK for media, but hazardous for programs and software.:)

4. mnkeybsness macrumors 68030

mnkeybsness

acquisition...especially if you are on a huge university network...search for the files/musci and it gives you the IP address they are found at...very useful on big networks...if i pick the right IP similarities then i get upwards of 600Kb/s!!!

5. cocopelli thread starter macrumors member

where can i find it?

Where do I go to download acquisition? I did a google search and found sun tech but no download link.

6. ShaolinMiddleFinger macrumors 6502a

ShaolinMiddleFinger

Re: where can i find it?

Go to versiontracker.com

7. iwantanewmac macrumors 6502

I cant get that kaazzaalite stuff to work with my adsl......sigh
    and im NOT going to figure it out. bah winblows

8. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

P2P favs...

For PC it has to be KaZaA, b4 that it was Morpheus, the two shared the same network but now Morpheus has had some very damaging changes and is totally useless!
    For Mac Limewire and Acquisition.

9. Backtothemac macrumors 601

Backtothemac

I use limewire. It is the best thing that I have found for the Mac by far. It is slow, but it does the job.

:)

10. eyelikeart Moderator emeritus

eyelikeart

I use Limewire too...although it's not always reliable...it does the trick sometimes...

I used to use Hotline a lot...but it became less & less worth it IMO...

I have also found luck with Carracho when trading up between a buddy of mine.. ;)

11. Moxiemike macrumors 68020

Moxiemike

I use limewire from time to time. unreliable is right.

I was a bigtime hotline guy until all the servers started doing banner stuff and paypal login selling, which sucks.

I went to carracho, and found that it was much like hotline was at the beginning, but becoming more like hotline is now (all the pay servers and stuff)

Finally got my own DSL and run (sometimes) a carracho server and i can trade up between me and a few buddies of mine. ;)

12. amnesiac1984 macrumors 6502a

haxial kdx, it is like hotline was in the beginning but now!!

13. FattyMembrane macrumors 6502a

FattyMembrane

if your on a university connection, gnutella clients (limewire, aquisition, fern, etc.) will most likely be blocked. edonkey works on many university networks but you'll get mixed reviews of its performance. surprisingly, xnap actually works on many university networks (http://xnap.sourceforge.net) and is quite good for music (a few other files, but not many). neo will let you connect to kazaa clients (through some port-scanning, which can be tedious) but once again, university firewalls are hit or miss with this one as it is not an actuall kazaa client, but accesses the same port. hotline, kdx, and carracho are usually fine on university connections, kdx seeming to be the most reliable in terms of free access, with carracho having the all mac advantage. i have not tried myster in several months, or some of the other ones that are springing up (chatline, nodescan, etc.), but when i did use them, the file base was extremely limited.

14. tjwett macrumors 68000

tjwett

15. King Cobra macrumors 603

I'm gonna go with TJ on this one. I used to use LimeWire, but it was slow as sht. Acquisition loads faster, but still has some of the same problems as Limewire. As for files, I think Limewire has more files, but Acquisition doesn't f*** up downloads as easily. :p

16. ecino1 macrumors member

limewire

Well. Since we dont have any options like Kazaa as mac users I have found limewire to be an adequate replacement. It still isnt kazaa but it does do a good job of finding songs, programs and videos. At first I hated limewire but eventually I got the Limewire pro version without the banners, and now it seems much faster and responsive. Although I have not experienced any downloading problems with limewire it can be hard to find somthing particular at times. What I do is leave limewire on whenever my computer is on. I keep 5 server connections active at a time, and over time limewire accumulates more and more hosts, therfore making more content available. It dosent work good if you just boot it up and search right away, give it time to accumulate a good amount of hosts then try a search. Also try the pro version, it is much better.

Joe

17. AmbitiousLemon Moderator emeritus

AmbitiousLemon

fatty knows what he is talking about. i was going to add my own comments until i read this post. fatty basically says everything i would have added. most other people here dont seem to be very familiar with any of the apps they mention or their alternatives, but fatty knows whats up. good job.

18. Chomolungma macrumors regular

depends where you are?

Is this true i.e. where you are determines which p2p works best?

I live in the Northwest (University) and this is my $0.02 verdict

Aquistions = dont' bother (throw it in the "Trash"!)
    Limwire = I have few successes (23 TB was the largest library of files I was able to search at one time. 23 TB is nothing if you use say Kazaa. The average was around a pathetic 0.5 TB library
    XNAP = the best with ~500 TB size library to search on a Mac
    :cool:

19. cocopelli thread starter macrumors member

Hey Chomolungma what university are u at? Im here at WSU. I have tried limewire and acquisition with no results. I think I will try XNAP. It sounds like the best so far eh? Does ne one know how to get around the firewall so I can use other blocked programs?