Favorite protien bars?

Discussion in 'Community' started by superbovine, Aug 25, 2005.

1. superbovine macrumors 68030

superbovine

I've few different protien bars, but I haven't found one I really like. So far I have tried Poweraid, pure protien - starwberry shortcake, and snickers marathon - chocolate nut burst (i didn't makeup the name). any other suggestions?

2. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

As far as the ones that have a decent amount, but not gobs of protein, go, I was actually pleasantly surprised by the Snickers one.

My personal fave, though, are definitely Luna bars. Even though they're "made for women," I know tons of other men runners who swear by them -- they're very flavorful, the flavors are really different from each other, and they're also a nice size -- less overall calories than most of the other bars, with a higher proportion of protein. And, as far as I can tell, they're even Vegan. :)

3. Lacero macrumors 604

Lacero

4. puckhead193 macrumors G3

puckhead193

5. neildmitchell macrumors 6502a

neildmitchell

I just tried the new (to me at least) Cliff 20g Protein bar Cookies and Cream flavor, wich is good, but had a slight coconut flavor to it.

Power Bar Protien Plus bars are great, more filling, satisfying, and I notice the energy I get from eating one more soon then Cliff Bars

The Protien Plus CarbSelect bars by Power Bar are good also but kinda have a slight alchohol taste to them?

6. neildmitchell macrumors 6502a

neildmitchell

LOL I am not gonna go there ;)

7. emw macrumors G4

emw

I like the Marathon bars, but they really don't have a ton of protein. It seems like anything with a lot of protein (close to the 30% or more of total calories) just doesn't taste that good. I tried a new one that somebody gave me the other day - I'll have to look up what it was again, since it was pretty tasty.

But not as good as the Marathon bar.

Or a sausage. ;)

8. macbaseball macrumors 6502a

macbaseball

I really like these. (The South Beach Diet bars at the top) To me they are not a meal replacement, but they're a great snack. The protein to carb ratio is good too. I'm not a big fan of the bars that are full of carbs but have little protein. Maybe that's just my philosophy.

BTW, these just taste good. They aren't like candy, (i.e. some proteins bars), but they taste good. At least better than any thing else I've ever tried. I like the peanut butter one. The choclate one is decent, It took a while to get used to, but after a while I started liking it. I havn't tried the others.

9. quackattack macrumors 6502a

quackattack

I like the Powerbar, and the MetRx are alright.

I am more of a protein shake man. My favorite in vanilla powder in orange juice.

10. neildmitchell macrumors 6502a

neildmitchell

I almost tried a MetRx bar last week, but I picked it up and it weighed 5 pounds, I got scared, and put it back. I think the flavor was something along the lines of Grahm Cracker ( I love grahm crackers)

11. superbovine thread starter macrumors 68030

superbovine

moo

12. neildmitchell macrumors 6502a

neildmitchell

I have tried a South Beach Diet bar, it was SOOO small so I thought it wouldnt fill me up.... Oh my gosh was I wrong, I dont think I even ate dinner that night.

13. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

Shouldn't that be "Oink"?

14. superbovine thread starter macrumors 68030

superbovine

i'm a cow. what do you expect?

15. Nanda Devi macrumors regular

I'll definitely second the Luna bars... very tasty, especially the lemon zest and oatmeal cookie varieties. The Clif bars (made by the same company) are also great, but I save those for when I'm more active than just a regular workout at the gym (i.e., when I'm backpacking or doing a long hike).

Clif and Luna bars have much better, more naturual ingredients than a lot of other brands. I think it's best to avoid the ones that are made by candy bar manufacturers, because those guys don't really know much about nutrition! Also, be sure to make sure the thing isn't loaded with sugar and artificial ingredients. (Hint: if it's chocolate or candy-coated, it's probably not the best bet!) :)

16. capone2 macrumors regular

Met-RX

Chocalte chocalte chunk is unreal....not too many cargs like 6grams and 32grams of protein and taste like candy !! yum.

17. gwuMACaddict macrumors 68040

gwuMACaddict

the pwoerbar high protein one, cookies and creme

18. iGary Guest

iGary

I'm a CLIF bar fan.

A little high on carbs, but I excercise a lot (on a ****ing bike now), so its all good.

Peanut Toffee Buzz rocks as does Lemon Poppy Seed.

19. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

A plain piece of tofu, with optional soy sauce, although the Genisoy apple cinnamon covered with yogurt is good.

20. superbovine thread starter macrumors 68030

superbovine

sounds like a lot of good advice. looks like i am going to try some more marathon flavors and luna bars.

on the tofu, i think i'd prefer tofu with rice. so, it doesn't really make it pratical to carry in your gym bag. i've never tried the genisoy stuff, might try it it later.

21. efoto macrumors 68030

Detour bars are pretty high in protein and taste great, much better than most other protein bars I have had. They are aimed more at the lifting crowd with their formulation, so if you are looking for a meal-replacement bar for general use, they might not be for you.

Other than that, I like Clif bars when riding and I don't mind PowerBar Harvest either, but I guess I am strange as most hate those.

Key for me was always to change often, as all of the synthetic bars taste like cardboard if you eat them long enough.

22. jelloshotsrule macrumors G3

jelloshotsrule

they're not advertised as "protein bars" the way that some are... but i like odwalla. the peanut chocolate chip ones.

i also enjoy clif -choc chip., peanut choc chip, mint cookie thing, and another one or two.

23. GroundLoop macrumors 68000

GroundLoop

I love the Atkins Advantage bars (Chocolate Peanut Butter and S'mores). About 20 grams of protein and only 2-3 grams of carbs. I was surprised when these things filled me up considering I am a big man (6'5", 240 pounds).

Hickman

24. w_parietti22 macrumors 68020

how the hell are you on a bike??? Do you get the web on your cell??? be careful :rolleyes: ;)

I like Balance Gold bars... there not exactly the best for you but they high in like every vitamin that you can think of. Oh, and they taste like candy bars. I also like Clif bars too.

25. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Hmmmm...now you've got me jonesing. :D I don't think I've ever had oatmeal cookie. But Dolce Leche? Mmmm... :)