favorite quick dish...

Discussion in 'Community' started by krossfyter, Nov 3, 2003.

1. krossfyter macrumors 601

krossfyter

anyone have any specific quick dish they like to make for say on the go or maybe something thats made fairly quickly that usually fills you up? i know a lot of people have a unique dish of thier own that they have learned from thier family or culture etc. what i love to eat thats quick and easy to make are bean and cheese soft tacos. i usually squirt some lime in that man. accents the taste... i know some of you all probably would think that that is gross but thats my thing man. i love that stuff. also chicken and cheese quesadillas....again with lime. latinos and their lime go figure! :D good stuff.

2. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

I whip up pasta in 20 minutes (sauce from diced tomatoes), dice an onion/garlic, add spices, olives a little wine and meat of any sort.

Damn tasty and easy. Takes more time if I use fresh herbs from the garden or need to prep the meat.

However, the best is using the leftovers the next day.

I make extra and store the sause and pasta separately (so the pasta doesn't soak up all the water). In a good sauté pan I add a little olive oil, pepper, and the pasta, with a 1/8 cup of water or so. Heat up and then add the sauce and mix in the pan. I might add a little extra sauce or some more meat (depends on the left overs). Once its uniformly heated up, I sprinkle a nice hefty layer of shreaded mozzarella cheese and stick it in the oven for 10 minutes or so on 350 until all the cheese melts.

et voilà! Pan-fried Lasagna - damn good.

Best to use thicker pasta - penne or bow-tie, etc.

D

3. krossfyter thread starter macrumors 601

krossfyter

damn. that sounds tasty. of course if i tried it i would probably jack it up the first time. oh id have to add lime to that though. ;)

4. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

ha, well, its quite simple and the thing is, you add enough cheese you can't go wrong.

Also, I've added some sausage to it from time to time. Only thing is that adds to the prep time, but you can cook the sausage in the micro wave if you need to.

Good stuff ;)

D

5. krossfyter thread starter macrumors 601

krossfyter

ah yes cant go wrong with more cheese. unless you are lactose intolerant. ill give that a try sometime.

also... what kind of sausage would you suggest? im searching for the perfect sausage bought at the local grocery store. german? polish? turk? hungarian?

6. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

Hot Italian sausage - can't go wrong with that....sometimes I'll get the Hot Italian Turkey sausage.

Also, grilling the sausage works really well...

Actually, I've done the same to thin chicken breasts as well (marinated with olive oil, rosemary, thyme, garlic) and put those under the pasta and sause and make a modified form thats a pan fried parmesian.....

D

7. applemacdude macrumors 68040

applemacdude

8. Powerbook G5 macrumors 68040

Powerbook G5

9. Iconocat macrumors member

For me, it's all about the Easy-Mac!! (no pun intended...)

Also, a really quick yet filling thing I do is apples (again no pun :)) and peanut butter.

Grilled cheese on the Foreman owns... don't even need to use marg. :)

Any kind of soup, rice and cheese!

Can I cook??? No! :)

10. ejb190 macrumors 65816

ejb190

I make a an omlet with half the eggs and twice the vegies! - Ends up almost like a stir fry! The trick is not burning the cheese.

11. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Pan Roasted Chicken Breasts

Chicken:
    1 cup kosher salt
    4 Chicken Breasts, bone in and skin on (the cheap ones;) )
    Ground black pepper
    1 Tsp Vegetable oil

Sauce:
    1/2 medium onion, sliced into thin strips
    3/4 cup low-sodium chicken broth
    1/2 cup brown ale (Newcastle was great, but really any dark beer will work)
    1 sprig fresh thyme (or pinch of dried)
    1 bay leaf
    1 tsp brown sugar
    3 Tbsp unsalted butter, cut into 3 pieces

Dissolve salt in 2 quarts cold tap water in large container or bowl. (I tend to use a ziploc bag to minimize cleanup.) Refrigerate for 30 minutes while prepping other ingredients. Rinse chicken under running water and pat dry with paper towels. Season with pepper (no salt needed, the brine took care of that.)

Adjust oven rack to lowest position, preheat to 450°.

Heat oil (1 tsp) in a 12" OVENPROOF skillet over med. high heat until oil begins to smoke. Brown chicken, skin-side down for about 5 minutes, or until golden brown. Flip and cook for 3 minutes on the other side. Flip again, then place skillet in oven with the chicken skin-side down. Roast until done, either 160° internal temp or about 15-18 minutes. Transfer chicken to plate and cover with foil. Let it rest while you prepare sauce.

Being careful not to touch hot pan handle, pour off most of fat from pan, add onion, then set pan over medium-high heat. Let cook for about 3 minutes, until softened. Add chicken broth, beer, thyme, bay leaf, and brown sugar. Turn heat to high, and simmer rapidly, scraping brown bits off skillet bottom with wooden spoon, until slightly thickened and reduced to about 3/4 cup, about 5 minutes. Pour accumulated juices from chicken plate into skillet and add the cider vinegar. Remove from heat, stir in butter one piece at a time until dissolved. Discard thyme, season with salt and pepper to taste.

I like to take the leftover chicken broth (usually about 1 1/4 cups) and add some water to make about 1 3/4 cups, add a cup of rice and steam for 15 minutes, serve rice and a green salad with chicken and sauce. Whole thing takes about an hour, and can be a great meal for a small group.:D

12. Powerbook G5 macrumors 68040

Powerbook G5

Sounds good, too bad I'm a vegetarian now. I miss chicken and the occasional pepperoni pizza, but that's about it.

13. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

nice recipe - but 'quick'?

If you can get something done under 30 minutes I think that would be good (including prep and clean up).

D

14. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Vegetarian huh... I keep some polenta with mushroom and sun-dried-tomatoe cutlets in the freezer for when people like you show up. Easy enough to pull a couple out, and toss in a 450° oven (or fry in a little oil) to crisp up. Heck, I eat them myself 'cuz they're so tasty. Not quick though, unless you make it ahead of time and freeze it. I'll look for the reciepe later, can't remember off the top of my head.;)

15. rhpenguin macrumors 6502a

rhpenguin

Its all about whatever you can make on the pie iron... Sometimes ill make a grilled cheese or throw in some pizza toppings and make a mini panzarotti. Then for desert ill take a can of pie filling and make myslef some form of little pie :)

its a great meal and takes maybe 2 minutes of actual preperation... i totaly recomend a pie iron.

16. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

I would enjoy a nice salad with some cheese and tuna. Just happen to be a vegetarian at heart.

17. Capt Underpants macrumors 68030

Capt Underpants

Um... There is always a good old bowl of cereal... Yum, Yum

Seriously, though.... I always whip up a can of deviled ham, chili powder, and mayonnaise put in a bowl and heated... Smells like crap, but it is wonderful with saltine crackers..

18. tazo macrumors 68040

tazo

that sounds absolutely delicious mr. a :)
    --

Here is my fave quick recipe:

Mexican Pizza: (Makes one)

2- average sized circular tortillas, Diane's is a good brand

1/2- tomatoe diced into cm-sized pieces

1/2- 1 onion, grilled (sauteed) in the oil of your choice until translucent or caramelized adjust this to your liking since not everyone likes onions

1/3- cup of cooked ground beef, season as you like

1/3 of a cup or so of a mixture of monterey jack and cheddar cheese, of course you can substitute any kind of cheese, this just makes a delicious combo.

A couple of heaping spoonfuls of your favorite salsa, as hot as ya like

1/4 cup of whatever else ya like! Peppers, olives, you name it just throw it in :)

1. Heat up an average sized skilled to medium temperature, and place a single tortilla in the bottom, flipping it with a fork, knife or tongs so that the tortilla heats up a bit

2. Place cheese on the bottom of the tortilla and begin layering the ingredients in whatever order you like on top of the tortilla.

3. sprinkle cheese on top of your layered ingredients (this will act as the glue to hold your mexican pizza together)

4. Let cheese melt and mesh with your other ingredients; flip with a gignatic spatula and allow other side to brown.

5. Sprinkle more of your favorite cheese on top and slice into as many or as few slices as you prefer.

ENJOY!

-tazo

19. Phil Of Mac macrumors 68020

Phil Of Mac

Grilled Spam and cheese sandwiches!

Is there some reason you have to be a vegetarian now? I was going to ask why you're a vegetarian if you miss eating meat.

20. jelloshotsrule macrumors G3

jelloshotsrule

try vegan. cut out the pizza thing entirely. ;)

i generally go for veggie dogs/sandwiches... or burritos... whether it's the frozen amy's non-dairy, or a homemade... or a chipotle/taco bell.... burritos are my staple

no lime for me... hah

wd- vegetarian at heart eh? hah. fish aren't animals? ;)

21. Powerbook G5 macrumors 68040

Powerbook G5

Well I became a vegetarian after a year with my girlfriend who is one and I just slowly ate less and less meat in my diet while trying to accomadate her that I decided I'd try going vegetarian completely. It's not bad, but I have noticed that vegetarian meals are generally more expensive at restaurants. It's a little annoying when a roasted pepper coasts $5 more than a steak dinner.

22. jelloshotsrule macrumors G3

jelloshotsrule

wow. you are eating at the wrong places.

23. tazo macrumors 68040

tazo

i would tend to agree.

Ya know jello, ya could modify my mexican pizza recipe to omit the beef and it would taste just as good :)

24. jelloshotsrule macrumors G3

jelloshotsrule

yeah. but what about the cheese? or maybe sour cream? hah

still no good soy cheese substitutes... that i've found.

though, the ones at benny's here in nyc aren't half bad. tofu sour cream is good though.

25. Powerbook G5 macrumors 68040

Powerbook G5

The tofu at my school taste like you are chewing on old pencil erasers.