Favorite Spam/Hoax/Urban Legend Email

Discussion in 'Community' started by MacDawg, Nov 15, 2004.

1. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

The Wasteland is full of this kind of stuff, and so is your mailbox!

Blue Velvet sort of suggested this thread in the latest Wasteland contribution...

Since BV won't ask, I will...

What is your favorite or most hated spam/hoax/urban legend email of all time?

There's the Coca Cola hoaxes, email forwarding hoaxes, etc.

Which one have you had to deal with the most?
    Which one was the cleverest?
    Which one is the most disgusting?
    Which one was the most believable?
    Which one did YOU fall for?

Probably the one I have had to squelch the most over the years was...
    The Penny Brown is missing hoax

But who can forget the Space shuttle (supposedly Columbia) destruction pics taken by an Israeli spy satellite?

Or the Plane crashing into the Twin Towers as a tourist snapped his last picture?

C'mon, lets remember all of those special times when we've rolled our eyes and said "oh no, not AGAIN!"

Gotta love www.snopes.com!
    Its the first place I go to check on things!

2. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

Gotta love those crazy Nigerian guys who are always trying to get money out of the country, but only if you help them by handing over your bank account details...

It constantly amazes me that people fall for this scam. Greed, I guess.

3. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

I like the guy standing on top of the World Trade Center just before impact, too.

I also like the one with the lady who wore her hair in a beehive hairdo (or something) and never washed it, and who ended up finding a nest of hundreds of spiders living in there. :D

4. Jalexster macrumors 6502a

5. Mr_Ed macrumors 6502

That one would be the bane of my "virtual" existence. I get these a few times a week now. I also can't believe anyone would fall for it. You know, the ones that start:
    Always some sob story about a family that died tragically, had a lot of money, left no 'last will' document, and no next of kin can be found so it is up to 'lucky me' to collect on their estate since apparently no one with my last name can be found between Nigeria and Florida :D

6. Lyle macrumors 68000

Lyle

I guess it technically hasn't been "proven" a hoax, but one of the more intriguing ones I've run across lately is the story about John Titor, an alleged time traveler from 2036 who posted to some message boards back in 2000-2001.

For pure entertainment value, however, it's hard to beat a good "Bat Boy" story from the Weekly World News.

7. Inkmonkey macrumors 6502

Great Creepy Capuchins! Never seen that one before.

I get a kick out of the ones that claim KFC raises some mutant chicken creature with no beaks. Yummmm...delicious mutant chicken creatures with no beaks.

Also the one that Swiffer Wet Jets contain chemicals that kill dogs.

8. Mr_Ed macrumors 6502

That's not so strange. I once visited a boneless chicken farm. Have you ever seen a boneless chicken try to walk? It's actually pretty funny! :D

9. AmigoMac macrumors 68020

AmigoMac

Second that... it's awesome.

10. MacDawg thread starter macrumors P6

MacDawg

If I was at home I would scan the Far Side cartoon of the boneless chicken farm and post it.

11. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

That's one of my favorite - and I have to say I was sort of watching for signs of revolution after this years election :D

But one of my all time favorite is a Darwin Award contender, but actually never happened - the Plymouth Fury (or some similar vehicle) found imbedded in a mountain side 100s of feet above the road with a couple JATO canisters attached to the roof.

http://www.rocketcarstory.com/

D

12. MacDawg thread starter macrumors P6

MacDawg

Here is a SPOOF of the Nigerian emails you may or may not have seen... it scored a 31.1 on SpamAssassin when a 5.0 is enough to flag it.

13. rueyeet macrumors 65816

rueyeet

People tend not to send me urban legend-y type emails anymore, because whenever they did I would look it up on snopes.com and reply with the debunking, and the link to prove it; mostly because I had gotten tired of getting the "pass this on to every woman you know!!" scare tactic ones.

14. Lyle macrumors 68000

Lyle

I frequently do the same (send people links to snopes.com to try to shut down those kinds of chain letters). Sometimes I've gotten the cold shoulder, if not an outright hostile response. I remember one incident in particular: someone had forwarded to me (and everyone else in his address book) the story about the Budweiser employee and the Arabs in a convenience store. When I (politely) replied with a link to the snopes.com article, he got really, really irate about my obvious support for terrorists far and wide. :rolleyes:

15. aus_dave macrumors regular

16. Mechcozmo macrumors 603

Mechcozmo

Maybe we should all take this quiz...

I got about 10 IMs this morning from people who heard that AOL was going to weed out the unused screennames to allow their servers to run faster. I just went offline. The internet is a crazy place...

17. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

:p lol

18. Mr_Ed macrumors 6502

19. atszyman macrumors 68020

atszyman

I know it's not really a legend since they actually exist but I love the way the camel spider picture can really throw of your sense of perspective, until you realize that the spiders are at the same depth as the hand in the upper right of the picture.

Attached Files:

20. cb911 macrumors 601

cb911

LOL. :D ha ha, nice one there.

those camel spiders did make me jump when i saw them, but then when you realise there's 2 of 'em...

but those Nigerian guys impress me the most, even though i've never got one of their emails. i mean they have conferences for how to write better emails and make better moneys. :D LOL
    but even better is some of the things that people get them to do, like sending money and photos over. :D

21. PeterBonnar macrumors member

My fav...

My favourite urban myth is the one about the geeky kid from the wonder years actually being Marylin Manson!

Another one i heard of but i was totally sickened by was the woman and the lobster one.... i sure some of you know what i mean :eek:

Actually my favourite urban myth is that the new powerbook G5 comes out next tues!

22. MacDawg thread starter macrumors P6

MacDawg

For those interested...

The Manson/Wonder Years connection

The Woman/Lobster connection

23. MacDawg thread starter macrumors P6

MacDawg

This one about AOL (and Yahoo/Hotmail/et. al.) is listed in this article