Favorite Sports Teams

Discussion in 'Community' started by RBMaraman, Feb 17, 2003.

1. RBMaraman macrumors 65816

Jul 25, 2002
    Prospect, KY
    Who are some of your favorite sports teams? Post your favorites for any sport.

Just post 'em. Let's not turn this into a "why your team sucks" post.

Baseball: Cincinnati Reds.
    Basketball: Indiana Pacers.
    Football: Indianapolis Colts.
    College Basketball: University Of Louisville (I should go for my school, Evansville, but I really like Rick Pitino).
  2. strider42 macrumors 65816

Feb 1, 2002
    Baseball: Oakland A's.

Witht eh other sports I make determinations of which teams I like depending on whats going on. Mostly cause I don't really care about the other sports and rarely watch them except during their respective playoffs.

After not having any school spirit while I was there, I'm slowly turning into a Cal Berkeley sports fan.
  3. jelloshotsrule macrumors G3

Feb 7, 2002
    sixers (basket)
    redskins (foot)
    capitals (hockey)
  4. losfp macrumors regular

Jul 16, 2002
    Well.... mostly Aussie teams here:

AFL (Australian Rules Footy): Sydney Swans
    NSL (Soccer): Northern Spirit
    NRL (Rugby League): Parramatta Eels
    Rugby Super 12s: Waratahs
    Cricket: NSW
    CBT (Netball): Sydney Swifts
    NBL (Basketball): Sydney Kings
    EPL - Arsenal
    Formula 1: Ferrari

And of course Australia in everything.
  5. macktheknife macrumors 6502a

Jan 24, 2002
    LET'S GO OAKLAND! <drums banging> One of the best teams in baseball and a very well-managed one IMHO.

Hey strider42, as a fellow Cal alumni :) , I hear you on that school spirit thing. I didn't go to one single football or basketball game as a student, but I find myself reflexively rooting for my school during those sport highlights shows.
  6. Juventuz macrumors 6502a

Dec 4, 2002
    Serie A (Italian Soccer): Juventus
    MLS (US Soccer): Metrostars
    EPL (English Soccer): Manchester City
    NHL: NY Rangers
    AHL: Binghamton Senators
    MLB: NY Yankees
    Formula 1: Ferrari
  7. MacFan25 macrumors 68000

Jan 5, 2003
    I don't really watch many sports. About the only time that I do watch sports is during "March Madness". For college basketball, I would have to go with University of Louisville. They are 4th in the rankings as of earlier today.
  8. Roger1 macrumors 65816

Jun 3, 2002
    My favorites are: :)

and Bears

OH MY! :D
  9. strider42 macrumors 65816

Feb 1, 2002
    Did you ever listen to the A's after game radio show when Rich Hererra (sp?) was the host (2000 season) If so, did you ever hear those guys that were on a road trip with an oakland A's sign, going around the country and a few ballparks. That was me. I need to do that again. They went on an 8 game winning streak when I did that. Nothing better than driving from Boston (after seeing a game at fenway and getting a picture taken with the green monster mascot and our oakland A's sign), to Kansas city in one night just to catch an A's game at Kaufman field. A's won 22-3 that day too, and I met Huddy and Giambi.

This is the yeay the A's go all the way. Zito, Mulder and Huddy are all gonna post 18 or more wins again, Dye will be back to normal, and some of the awesome youngsters will get a shot too. its gonna be a fun time in Oaktown this year.

boom,boom,boomboomboom LETS GO OAKLAND
    boomboomboomboomboomboomboomboomboomboomboomboomboom TEJADA!
  10. job macrumors 68040

Jan 25, 2002
    in transit
    college football: ohio state buckeyes.

college football is the only sport i follow with a passion.
  11. macktheknife macrumors 6502a

Jan 24, 2002
    Didn't catch that broadcast, but I wished I had as much free time as you did. :) Anyhow, I would feel more comfortable if the A's picked up another bat. I'm not worried about the rotation: The Big Three (Huddy, Mulder, and BZ) will have good years again, and word is that Ted Lilly's re-worked his mechanics and is poised for a breakout year. Durazo is nice, but he has a nasty history of injuries. Tejada is going to walk after this year, and I don't think he'll get any better than he was last year. The A's were this close to landing Brian Giles two years ago until the White Sox stepped in and Pirates GM/stooge Cam Bonifay got fired. I think Billy Beane needs to go rob Royals GM Allard Baird again and trade for Carlos Beltran and/or Mike Sweeney :D

12. strider42 macrumors 65816

Feb 1, 2002
    Tejada has stated he wants a long term contract, and I think he'll be more willing than giambi (and better for us than giambi too). I think there's a strong chance he'll stay. He's been with the A's since he was like 17.

I agree about Lily. I think he's a great talent and will really solidify the back of the rotation.

I'm hoping Adam Piatt and a couple of other guys like him get a chance to play more and really show their stuff. I like them a lot. They play with hustle. I also think T-Long is going to rebound. I expect him to hit similar to his rookie year, say a .270-.290 average, 20 something homers, say 70-80 rbi's. That will help a lot.

Another thing is out catcher. ramon hernandez absolutely tears it up offensively in the winter leagues. Then at the major league level he doesn't hit squat (but he calls a good game). He's gonna be better I think too. They picked up another catcher who can take some of those brutal innings behind the plate, and I know they've focused on allowing him to concentrate on offense more. He's not gonna be Mike Piazza with the bat, but he could certainly hit .280 without a problem. He was up around .300 his rookie year.

There are more bats than people think there.

Sweeny or Beltran would be interesting, depending on who we'd have to give up to get one of them. I think sweeny will be staying put though.

What I'm worried about is the bullpen. Tam is gone (he wasn't great last year, but he's got talent for getting those double play balls), and mecir is a kind of unknown at this point. With Koch gone, we essentially need another reliever's worth of innings out of the crew (i like foulke though, I'm hoping he'll be less scary than kock and isringhausen). We've got some depth though, so we'll see how it goes.

I'm also not sure how the bench is gonna be this year. We've lost a few guys over the last few years that were big for us (Jeremey Giambi, olmedo saenz, and Mabry)

It ain't perfect, but the pitching will be good. Hopefully Huddy isn't gonna overthrow like he did a lot of last year. He's better when he's in the low 90's, instead of the mid 90's.

I wish I had that much time now too. I did that right after I graduated. Chances of me being able to take off that much time again at once are pretty slim.
  13. MrMacMan macrumors 604

Jul 4, 2001
    1 Block away from NYC.
    Lets see:

Jets (Football)
    Mets (Baseball)
    Nets (pattern? Basketball)
    Islanders (hockey)

14. macktheknife macrumors 6502a

Jan 24, 2002
    Man, did you graduate in 2000? Dude, if that's true, that's the same year I graduated, too! :D

Anyhow, I think Billy Beane made out like a bandit (again) with that Foulke-Koch deal. Koch was way overrated: He gave up way too many walks and hits to be considered an adequate closer. Don't forget we still have Bradford and Rincon, not to mention Future Closer Joe Valentine who came over in that Foulke-Koch deal. Since Billy Beane always has a way of pulling fungible relievers out of nowhere, I'm not as worried about the bullpen.

I'm worried about the offense mainly because the A's didn't score very many runs last year. Their offense ranked 8th in the AL ahead of Minnesota but behind Toronto(!) in runs scored. As long as their pitching holds up, it won't be such a big issue (witness the success of the Atlanta Mediocre Offensive Machine), but I'd feel more comfortable if the A's has another Giambi-type of player.
  15. krhodus macrumors member

Dec 16, 2001
    Dublin, OH
    College: OSU Buckeyes
    High School: Dublin Coffman Rocks /Dublin Scioto Irish
    Middle School: Dublin Sells Rocks (my school)
  16. jefhatfield Retired

Jul 9, 2000
    nfl - sf 49ers
    mlb - sf giants
    nba - la lakers
    favorite all around sports hero - kobe bryant, la lakers
    favorite all around coach - jon gruden, tampa bay bucs, nfl
    favorite all around sports announcer - john madden, football
    olympic favorite - bruce jenner, summer olympics...kristy yamaguchi, winter olympics
  17. charboneau macrumors member

Dec 3, 2002
    Baseball: NY Mets
    Football: Jets and Giants
    Basketball: NJ Nets

I also like Lance Armstrong and Greg LeMond, both multiple winners of the Tour de France.
  18. trebblekicked macrumors 6502a

Dec 30, 2002
    Chicago, IL, USA
    NFL- steelers
    MLB- none
    NHL- penguins
    NBA- none

FAPL- liverpool
    europe- eindhoven (philips)
    MLS- HA HA HA HA HA!!!!!!!!:D
  19. strider42 macrumors 65816

Feb 1, 2002
    Yup, I graduated in 2000. small world. Now if you were an English major or education minor I'll be even mroe impressed.

Foulke is gonna rock. Did you see his second half numbers last year. He's gonna be good and he almost never walks anyone.

yeah, the offense is a concern, but like I said, I think T-Long and Ramon will have much better years, as will Dye. Overall, I think we are more stable on offense than last year, if perhaps a little less deep.

We got John Hallama too, which is nice. He could be a 5th starter, or harang, or someone else. makes for a deep bullpen. Great starting pitching and at least adequate offense. its always nice to have a giambi type player, but unless he came from the minors, its not gonna happen. And lets not forget that Chavez is fully capable of hitting 40 jacks and batting 300 if he's more patient at the plate. He could put up stats as good as giambi if he had the patience giambi does (giambi's eye at the plate is just sick, its the best in baseball I think, except maybe bonds), plus miguel is putting up nice numbers.
  20. garzy macrumors regular

Dec 21, 2002
  21. King Cobra macrumors 603

Mar 2, 2002
    NHL: Penguins (the new logo makes me want to vomit, though)
    NFL: NY Giants
    MLB: Yankees
    NASCAR: anyone except Jeff Gordon
    Golf: Tiger Woods
    NBA (my least favorite sport): Yao Ming
    Billiards: Allison Fisher
    Rugby: great sport
    Ping Pong: small field
    Nike: Common advertisers

Also the Harlem Globetrotters are pretty cool, too.
  22. trebblekicked macrumors 6502a

Dec 30, 2002
    Chicago, IL, USA
    agree with you on the logo. not to mention that kovalev deal. I wanted to cry that night...

and the washington generals are due for a win.
  23. macktheknife macrumors 6502a

Jan 24, 2002
    Nope, sorry, I majored in History and minored in Asian Studies, although my girlfriend (also a Cal Alumni) double-majored in English and Chinese Literature. Small world indeed.

Anyhow, I just can't wait for the season to begin. I just want Billy Beane to shake up the team roster just to make things more interesting. I guess he didn't want to tinker too much with perfection. I still think trading Beltran is a real possibility: the word is that the Royals are looking to trade Beltran since this is his walk year (and he just got a nice raise through arbitration). There's no way the Royals are going to retain him so they're looking to trade him (like Dye and Damon before him). He's a center fielder with some plate discipline and can hit for good power and average. I think he'll make a good fit with the current A's lineup as Chris Singleton is Oakland's current CF.

24. jefhatfield Retired

Jul 9, 2000
    every time i show interest in cal, they lose and for some reason, stanford gets more sports press in no. cal

cal is a great academic and sports school but they are always overshadowed by nearby stanford...now if stanford was in, let's say nebraska, cal would be far more recognized

i know this local man who was on the cal team the one and only year they won the ncaa basketball in 1959 and every year he becomes more of a local small town sports legend...and is known as the man who played on the basketball team the "year they were good";)

in 1960, cal lost and never came really that close again in their lineup

in a way, the great san francisco giants, with more players in the hall of fame than any team, is overshadowed by the team that wins rings (oakland A's) and if it wasn't for barry bonds, the nation would not really pay that much attention to the giants
  25. vollspacken macrumors 65816

Oct 17, 2002
    Boogie-Down Berlintown
    Re: Favorite Sports Teams

Soccer: Werder Bremen
    Hockey: Maple Leafs
    Formula1: Schumacher & Ferrari

+German National Teams!!!;)