Favorite Star Trek Movie

Discussion in 'Community' started by Durandal7, Oct 19, 2002.

1. Durandal7 macrumors 68040

What was your favorite Star Trek movie (or movies)?

I think my favorites were The Wrath of Khan, The Undiscovered Country and First Contact.

2. diorio macrumors 6502a

I need to watch the original movies, I heard the first one sucked, as did The final frontier. My favorite NG movie is First Contact, the borg always have fascinated me, though I enjoy them all.

3. Durandal7 thread starter macrumors 68040

The first one wasn't too bad, Final Frontier was horrid.

I loved the borg, but I wasn't too happy with the way that Voyager handled them.

4. vniow macrumors G4

First Contact is probably my favorite of the TNG ones, and Wrath of Kahn is my fav from TOS.
    They have a lot of similarities though.

If Nemisis is half as goos as the trailers suggest, then guess which will be my new fav then.[​IMG]

Would you have made this a poll if they weren't disabled?[​IMG]

5. Durandal7 thread starter macrumors 68040

No, I was more interested in how people ranked them and the poll options can't really reflect that.

6. alex_ant macrumors 68020

alex_ant

7. diorio macrumors 6502a

I never saw Voyager, so I don't know what the borg did in them. Voyager was lost in the quadrant where the borg were right? The episodes of NG with the borg were my favorite, followed by those with Cardassians, then Romulans, and then Klingons. (The ferengi were too goofy to count)

8. Durandal7 thread starter macrumors 68040

Yep, my problem with Voyager was that they just started cruising around blowing up fleets of cubes. They took away all the menace of the Borg.

9. strider42 macrumors 65816

strider42

wrath of khan and first contact. But I am really looking forward to Star trek X: Nemisis. Even if they did cut will wheatons scenes (wesley crusher as a character was poorly written a lot of the time, but I like wil wheaton himself in the role, and his webpage is great: http://www.wilwheaton.net )

10. diorio macrumors 6502a

What?! Voyager wasn't even as powerful as the Enterprise was it? Did they make these epidsodes before or after First Contact? I can see why many people didn't like voyager as a series.

11. vniow macrumors G4

What did they cut all his scenes out for?

12. diorio macrumors 6502a

I thought he was pretty much dead as a STNG character, but maybe not. He was going around with the traveler last I knew.

13. Durandal7 thread starter macrumors 68040

After. Voyager had it's fair share of problems.

As for no Wil Wheaton, I have to say that I'm surprised Colm Meany isn't in Nemesis to make a cameo.

14. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

Voyager had a scientist as its captain and she and her crew found interesting ways to approach things. Then, there was the transporter accident with seven of nine and the doctors 29th centure portable holo-emitter and... :)

15. diorio macrumors 6502a

Yes, I need to watch most of the voyager episodes, as well as the original movies, and most of deep space nine. Heck, the only series I really could tell you about would be Star Trek The Next Generation. (Gotta love baldy and data)

16. diorio macrumors 6502a

Sorry for the double post, isn't Colm Meany, Obrien in DS9 and NG?

17. Durandal7 thread starter macrumors 68040

Yea, Colm Meany is Chief O'Brien.

As for Voyager, you could watch them if you got around to hooking that antennae up. UPN shows them nightly.

18. Kethoticus macrumors 6502

Kethoticus

Fave ST flicks and some ST rants

Favorite: Undiscovered Country. I love the Klingons. I also loved the storyline.

Second fave: First Contact. I love the Borg. And this movie was also better-written than other Trek flicks.

But the comments about the Borg I've read in this thread so far I thoroughly agree with. It got to the point where all Voyager needed to do was some clever tip-toeing and they blew up yet another Borg cube. And what's with this queen BS?!? I'll tell you: they HAD to humanize the Borg. They couldn't keep their unusual, ant-like culture intact. They just had to change things. I liked the movies, and I liked Voyager. But they should've left the Borg the way they originally introduced them: a purely collective society with NO central unifying force. And if they were going to make them a people who assimilated cultures, not just technology, then they should have introduced them that way in the beginning, in "Q Who?"

Geez... now I'm on a soap box here. I love ST. Have ever since I was 4 years old when I remember seeing it on NBC one night (I think it was "Tomorrow is Yesterday" when the Enterprise crew got thrown back in time only to encounter an airforce fighter). But there has been a real breakdown in the ST universe's consistency since ST came into modern times. Some cases in point:

* The redesign of the Klingons' appearance;

* The design of the year 2150's Starfleet starship Enterprise, breaking with much ST literature, like the Daedalus design which was SUPPOSED to be in use at this time.

There are more examples. Rick Berman's use of "license" is ruining the consistency of the ST universe, degrading one's ability to enjoy suspended disbelief.

19. Durandal7 thread starter macrumors 68040

Re: Fave ST flicks and some ST rants

My biggest problem with the design of the NX-01 is that it looks almost exactly like a ship from First Contact. They should have given a more plain outer hull as well, more like the 1701-A or the Reliant.

20. strider42 macrumors 65816

strider42

Re: Fave ST flicks and some ST rants

Yeah, the borg queen always irritated me too.

They actually acknowledge the inconsistency with the klingon look with that trouble with tribbles remake episode, when I think it was Riker looked at Warf and at the klingons from the original star trek, and warf says something like "don't ask" I thought that was funny.

There are a load of inconsistencies in star trek though, I just don't have a problem with them. most of what happens in Enterprise totally conflicts with later star treks (time travel, how advanced the vulcans are supposed to be, meeting the farengi when picard was supposed to be the first, etc). Do you ever read espn.com's page two columns. One of them is always talking about some weird inconsistency in enterprise. its funny stuff. I like that show though for sure. I always though DS9 was the best series (until they brought in the new Dax, it was all downhill after that), as it dealt with politics in a very cool way where as TNg was very thinly vieled moralistic fables a lot of the time. Voyager always annoyed me because it seemed like every single character was going through the "what does it mean to be human" thing that data played in TNG. the doctor, 7of9, even kess. it got really annoying. regardless though, none of the inconcsistencies are that big a problem for me. its just a show.

I found this quote on wilwheatons website. I thought it was relaly funny and thought I'd post it: Well, I worked for 2 days on Star Trek X (Star Trek OSX.1, if youre a Mac user), but my scene was cut. Maybe it will be on the DVD.

21. Kethoticus macrumors 6502

Kethoticus

Yeah! Right! That was pretty funny. Just a show! AAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

22. kiwi_the_iwik macrumors 65816

kiwi_the_iwik

I liked how "dark" Picard was portrayed during ST:First Contact. He was very disturbed, and it really humanised his character.

Nemesis sounds good, though.

Anyway - it still kicks Star Wars' butt. Don't you just love the dialogue in those movies?

"...I can feel the conflict in you - let go..."

WHAT?!?

23. G5orbust macrumors 65816

G5orbust

yea i hate taht, saying one cube at wolf 359 completely destryoed half of the fleet. But, taht is not true, voyager is jsut as powerful as the enterprise d in terms of weaponry. It was actually suppsoed to a heavy scout ship; heavily armed, jsut small for short-medium range missons

24. Durandal7 thread starter macrumors 68040

I think that the even-numbered curse is voodoo or Tholian in origin.

25. job macrumors 68040

job

the only thing i like in the ST universe is 7 of 9...

oops...did i say that out loud? ;) :p

I liked first contact a lot..

Some of the eary films were a bit campy, like the one where they go back in time to capture a whale from the early 80s to save their current planet...

bizzare..